Strange sms about unwanted subscription

5 posts in this topic

Last night when I wasn't using my phone, I received a following text message:

"Für Ihren Kauf bei dem Anbieter Wanga wird Ihnen künftig 4.99 EUR pro Woche berechnet. Bei Rückfragen, wenden Sie sich bitte kostenlos an Tel: 08000000557 oder an das Kundencenter unter www.mobile-info.cc. Vielen Dank!"

What kind of nasty scam is that?

Just in case, I already disabled Mobiles Bezahlen on my Vodafone profile, but I cannot find if I actually catched this subscription - do you know where can I check it and disable it?

So I phoned this company, which took several minutes until I heard a human, eventually kind-of-retarded lady on the other side couldn't find my number in their system.

But just to make sure, after that I wrote to English Vodafone customer service and it appeared I really bought this shit by Mobiles Bezahlen, but they deactivated it on my wish and costs have been cancelled. I'd say kudos for Vodafone, but actually they are here to blame - they shouldn't enable these thievish dealings in the first place.

Got this SMS today and had not willingly bought something.

Für Ihren Kauf bei dem Anbieter M-Strategy wird Ihnen künftig 4.99 EUR pro Woche berechnet. Bei Rückfragen, wenden Sie sich bitte kostenlos an M-Strategy: 0800 0000 557 oder an das Kundencenter unter http://www.mobile-info.cc. Vielen Dank!

Did call my provider and asked to have mobile bezahlen deactivated and this contract canceled and asking my money back. Provider hotline agreed to do this and confirmed blocking via SMS. They told me the following: whenever you change something in the contract, prolongation, other tariff... remember to always set up the blocking of mobile payment new. There are 2 stages of mobile payment. Stage one blocks weekly/monthly abos but still allows payments of tickets for public transport and within appstore. Stage two disables mobile payment completely. My provider said they were completely aware of the illegal start of these Abos (claiming they had taken this to court and court ruling was that it was ok to ask for money this way. Seems weird to me need to follow this up in legal dept). Usually its a website just opening up unrequested and while you are trying to close it again it misleads you to acceptance of  such contracts without showing you. SMS then is the first moment you realise something is wrong, if they do indeed send an SMS. So check your invoices. Mobile Info is an Austrian company that claims to only collect money for third parties (but is usually non helpful in getting though to this third party and the given hotline number ends at their place as well). In my case it seemed to be a page disguised as newspage where I wanted to follow an article since this was the thing I was doing when the SMS popped up. Of course the article itself did not show up beyond a headline.

NTV article about mobile pay

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. As I recall, I wound up paying the initial 6,99, then had myself cancelled from this “service” and had the phone payments blocked. 

It’s a good point about making sure the phone payments are still blocked after contract renewal. I will do that today. 

Like you, I was simply following the link to an article from a reputable news site and had never heard of “hahaTube” before. 

A0E30BDE-13BF-4A0F-B491-4C94A4830DBF.jpeg