Spouse of EU Blue Card and a Freelancer

3 posts in this topic

Hello, we moved here a few months ago for my spouse's employment. He's a Blue Card holder and I was registered as a dependent. My visa states "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet" (I don't know if it's relevant but I thought I'd put it down). Before I moved here I was working as a freelancer. My clients are US based. I'd like to continue doing freelancing for them. My question is, do I need to apply for Steuernummer even though my clients are not in Germany? Or would my regular Tax ID be sufficient for tax return purposes?

And is there anything else I need to do once I start earning money here? Change status at the Burgeramt or... something else?

Thanks much beforehand.

On 5/12/2016, 3:31:30, BarneyStinson said:

My visa states "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet" (I don't know if it's relevant but I thought I'd put it down).

This is means you have full labour market access and can be self-employed or employed without any restrictions due to the fact that you are a foreigner. However,  you need to still comply with the registration requirements for German residents with respect to being self-employed.

On 5/12/2016, 3:31:30, BarneyStinson said:

Before I moved here I was working as a freelancer. My clients are US based. I'd like to continue doing freelancing for them. My question is, do I need to apply for Steuernummer even though my clients are not in Germany? Or would my regular Tax ID be sufficient for tax return purposes?

You need an additional Steuernummer (use the search function for instructions). You'll also need to determine whether or not you're required to register a business. 

On 15/05/2016, 23:10:46, engelchen said:

This is means you have full labour market access and can be self-employed or employed without any restrictions due to the fact that you are a foreigner. However,  you need to still comply with the registration requirements for German residents with respect to being self-employed.

You need an additional Steuernummer (use the search function for instructions). You'll also need to determine whether or not you're required to register a business. 

Hi engelchen,

I am a non-EU national working here in Germany and have a Daueraufenthalt-EU since Mar 2018. My wife is a US national living with me since Feb 2017. She also has a dependent spouse visa which has "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet" written on it.  She is also enrolled in a masters program and has a freelance English teaching job offer from a language school.

I am a bit confused about registration requirement with respect to being self-employed when I read this webpage from ABH Munich http://www.muenchen.de/dienstleistungsfinder/muenchen/10206527/ It has this section where it says:

Staatsangehörige aus Drittstaaten und ihre Familienangehörigen können eine Erlaubnis für eine selbständige Erwerbstätigkeit beantragen. Zu den Drittstaaten gehören alle Länder, außer die Schweiz, Island, Liechtenstein und Norwegen.

and then this

Zu beachten

EU-Bürgerinnen und Bürger sowie Staatsangehörige von Island, Norwegen, Lichtenstein oder aus der Schweiz und deren Familienangehörige brauchen keinen gesonderten Aufenthaltstitel zur Ausübung einer selbstständigen Erwerbstätigkeit. Dasselbe gilt für Inhaber eines Aufenthaltstitels mit dem Eintrag „Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet“.