Difficulty getting out of a rental contract early, need advice.

194 posts in this topic

On 16 Jul 2016 12:14:23, Porky Pine said:

I'll help you meet your goal, if you will just promise to go away. And grow up!!!

Ok deal :) Once again, I met a goal in my life :) 

3 hours ago, Ivan Kons said:

Ok deal :) Once again, I met a goal in my life :) 

Have you ever heard of "self goal" in the context of football? If you were a football team, all the 11 players are scoring self goals in your game.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

There has been a new court ruling which basically says that students cannot be bound to long fixed-term rental agreements. source (sorry, in German)

For non-German speakers, it says that students can not be tied up in longer leases such as 1-2 years.  They will however still be held to the legal 3 month notice.

In this case it was a 2 year lease.  The student in question gave his 3 month notice only 4 months after signing the lease and therefore stayed in the apartment for only 7 months.  The court said that flexibility is important to students who can not afford to pay for two apartments and therefore the 2 year lease contract is null and void in this case.  So basically you can still make 1-2 year leases with students, however, if they leave early and you sue them, there is a precedent now so the courts could decide in their favour.

Being a landlord can be a tricky situation. I think most find good tenants, but this requires  background checks, financial records etc., and the good old "Intuition, and face to face assessment".

So, advice to prospective tenants- do your research, have documents, references, etc. and read your contracts. And join the Mieterverein!

The ruling is indeed a double-edged sword: it gives an advantage to students but this advantage makes them less attractive as landlords. This could make it even harder for students to find digs. 

On 08/06/2016, 23:26:17, Ivan Kons said:

I managed to pursuade the debt collecting firm for the Bahnkarte 25% to pay them in installments. I am really good at that, if I employ my negotiation skills to actually bring value and not only get out of trouble, I can achieve a lot. 

It happens quite often (all it took me was send them 1 e-mail), but in the end you would have paid more than paying in a single go