Best way to ship luggage back to the US without lugging it all to the airport the day of our move

5 posts in this topic

We are moving back to the US in a couple months and would love to ship some of our stuff home instead of taking it all with us through the airport (our two year old is enough luggage). I've tried doing some google searches but nothing obvious comes up. Does anyone know of a reasonable option for getting stuff home? I'm guessing it will be 6 or so suitcases. Reasonable in my opinion means less than the 370 euros one company quoted. 

Thanks in advance!

370 Euros sounds pretty reasonable to me- what company was that?

For shipping small amounts, it's hard to get a cheaper per pound/kilogram rate than the first extra baggage charge from most airlines.  If you find a rate <100 euros per 50 pounds/23 kilograms, it would be a good rate, and it sounds like your first quote is pretty good.  DHL Germany to the U.S., or USPS U.S. to Germany is astoundingly, one of the best deals. 

I know you said you don't want to do the baggage route, but maxing out your luggage allowance (for the two year old too, if buying a 3rd ticket) is one of the cheapest options.

21 minutes ago, Returning said:

370 Euros sounds pretty reasonable to me- what company was that?

For shipping small amounts, it's hard to get a cheaper per pound/kilogram rate than the first extra baggage charge from most airlines.  If you find a rate <100 euros per 50 pounds/23 kilograms, it would be a good rate, and it sounds like your first quote is pretty good.  DHL Germany to the U.S., or USPS U.S. to Germany is astoundingly, one of the best deals. 

I know you said you don't want to do the baggage route, but maxing out your luggage allowance (for the two year old too, if buying a 3rd ticket) is one of the cheapest options.

Sorry, I meant 370 euros per bag! It was about 13/kg. 

Now is the time to go through your luggage and see if it is worth that much!! Every move I have made-decluttering gets easier  Have I worn this, do I need/want this. Can I buy new?   Memories are the things I like to keep, but  these are in my head. Photos scanned and saved on a stick. 

However, I agree with above. Max out your luggage, and even pay for extra case.

With saved up Lufthansa points I bought a business class ticket to Vancouver for about 500 bucks, give or take.  It was worth it just for the luggage allowance.  Instead of one free piece at 23KG, you get 2 free at 32Kg.  Lufthansa's points program is pretty shabby even for the world business card - and they recently made it worse by giving you one point for two euros spent on your card instead of 1 for 1 - but the business class ticket is not that bad a deal.