The new "Education" subforum

14 posts in this topic

I've been rather busy lately, haven't had much time for TT, and I only just noticed that there is now a subforum for Education. When did this happen and why is it a private subforum?

Is it? It's only for high school (?)  and tertiary, and it comes under 'German themes' or are we not looking at the same thing? Mine does not appear to be private - I can see it and click on stuff .

Is 'High School' anything that happens after primary school or does it start later? 

On ‎03‎.‎05‎.‎2016‎ ‎19‎:‎34‎:‎04, kiplette said:

Is it? It's only for high school (?)  and tertiary, and it comes under 'German themes' or are we not looking at the same thing? Mine does not appear to be private - I can see it and click on stuff .

I was wondering who started moving the threads to the new subforum and clicked on the "edit this topic" button on one of the threads. I then got the message "Error: This topic is located in a private sub-forum, hence no public moderation access." 

On ‎03‎.‎05‎.‎2016‎ ‎19‎:‎34‎:‎04, kiplette said:

Is 'High School' anything that happens after primary school or does it start later? 

I'm Canadian and for me "High School" starts in Grade 9.

On 5/3/2016, 6:34:04, kiplette said:

You might be more used to secondary school if coming from the UK, kiplette. In England and Wales, of course, it's ages 11 to 18 (or Year 7 to Year 13/Upper Sixth). Some private schools in England still use the old term Forms for ages 11 to 16 (First Form to Fifth Form).

Basically, Germany has three types of secondary education: Hauptschule (for students who wish to learn practical vocational trades); Realschule (ranked above a Hauptschule and for students who wish to pursue a white-collar career - e.g. banking - or continue on to university); and Gymnasium (the highest-ranked secondary education level where students prepare for university or polytechnic education). Much like other countries, including the UK, Germany has recently made various reforms to its education system in some of its states.

As with Canada and the U.S. mentioned above by engelchen and tor, Australia and New Zealand also use the term high school, although secondary school is sometimes used. Australia's grading format - the same as Britain's - has Years 7 to 12 (ages 12 to 18), while New Zealand has Year 9 (13 years-old) to Year 13 (17 years of age). And in both countries, there is intermediate school; similar to junior high school in the U.S. These are for ages 11 and 12 (Year 7 and 8 respectively).

Here's a bit of trivia: In Australia, Canada, the United States, and New Zealand the high schools (and other such tertiary institutions) are officiated by the principal, with his or her assistant known as a vice-principal (or deputy principal in Australia & New Zealand). And you'll be familiar with the United Kingdom's top official called a headmaster or headmistress. (Some private schools in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand use the term headmaster/headmistress as well.)

Thank you all. So the creator of this thread using the term 'High school' is most likely to mean 13+, I guess. Somewhat irrelevant title, then, here in Germany.

Fuzzy - I myself attended a school which went from Lower Fourth through Fourth to Upper Fourth, then LV straight to UV, and on to VI form as normal. Where that system came from I couldn't say. They still do it now. The current use of Years 12 and 13 seem silly to me - generally the term 'Sixth Form' still seems to be in use, yet with these Year numbers in parallel. Bit bizarre.

engelchen - now the thread seems to have left the forum, anyway -I was going to try your click trick and see what happened . Odder and odder... 

On 3.5.2016, 19:03:38, engelchen said:

I've been rather busy lately, haven't had much time for TT, and I only just noticed that there is now a subforum for Education. When did this happen and why is it a private subforum?

O also confused. becuase it looks like you started the subforum...oder?

On 5/10/2016, 11:10:27, tor said:

O also confused. becuase it looks like you started the subforum...oder?

I started this thread in the meta chat.  I still don't know who started the Education subforum and why there are special editing rules.

I'm guessing someone at The Local set it up, after reading all those articles on The Local about how popular Germany is as a study destination, thinking they'd get a slice of that sweet, sweet clickbait.

Of course, being The Local, they did it wrong.

EDIT: Also LOLworthy: apparently there's a filter that changes The Joke-l (minus the hyphen) to "The Local". Could it be that even the forum software is a critic?

Lemme see if the filter really takes:

The Yokel

The Jokel

EDIT: It's not in real time, it's unchanged an hour later. Maybe just a daily run, or manual intervention after all. ;)

6 hours ago, Metall said:

Lemme see if the filter really takes:

The Yokel

The Jokel

EDIT: It's not in real time, it's unchanged an hour later. Maybe just a daily run, or manual intervention after all. ;)

My mistake - it's Joka-l minus the hyphen.

Let's see: The Local !

3,2,1... Bam! Immediately replaced! Damn...they really are major twats.