AfD on the rise

1,047 posts in this topic

The AfD will be the second most popular party in the country. The first round of Austria´s presindential election on Sunday saw the far - right Freedoms Party (FPÖ) storm ahead of the other canditates to win 35 % of the vote. Same story all over Europe.

The european people don´t feel safe anymore and are sick and tired of political correctness. Will a right wing goverment safe Europe, or is it to late?

10 hours ago, Floridasunshine said:

The european people don´t feel safe anymore and are sick and tired of political correctness. Will a right wing goverment safe Europe, or is it to late?

Only Trump can save us now.

But joking aside: am I alone in feeling that, as an American expat living in Germany, the era of sensible German consensus politics seems to be nearing its end? And being sad about it? I mean, coming from a country where movie stars become president and elections are more akin to popularity contests and fundraising galas, the German system is just refreshingly boring. Then the AfD comes along and threatens to bring the Tea Party to Germany and ruin what is otherwise a pretty good thing.

I mean, I do understand a lot of people being frustrated with the Top 5 parties here in Germany. I honestly have no idea which German party I would vote for if I ever did get citizenship here, because they all have their own problems in one way or another. But I know for certain that it would never be a party like the AfD.

AfD (and similar parties in other countries) will definitely not win a safe Europe, because AfD-Europe is not a safe Europe. 

No-one in their right mind wants to see the cultural face of Germany changed overnight, as Merkel seems hell bent on doing, but then no-one wants to allow organisations like AfD, which only pander to right-wing extremists get a foothold either.

This leaves moderates, as usual, caught between the extremists on the left and the right.

52 minutes ago, BurgerQueen said:

AfD (and similar parties in other countries) will definitely not win a safe Europe, because AfD-Europe is not a safe Europe. 

It is safe, but only for Germans. If you don't support AfD then you traitor are not a German, so no safety for you.

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

It is safe, but only for Germans. If you don't support AfD then you traitor are not a German, so no safety for you.

Yep, only for certain types of Germans.

This country has been down this road before. This is the Internet and Godwin's Law does exist after all, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if AfD broke out the brown shirts any day now.

15 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

It is safe, but only for Germans.

Not for all of them.

Imagine being a blonde blue eyed German woman who does not want to have a blonde blue eyed German baby, for example.

AfD-Germany is safe for certain people who behave in certain way.

ISIS-Syria is safe for certain people who behave in certain way. 

It is funny seeing foreigners supporting AfD. It is like Mexicans supporting Trump. They exist of course, because the world is weird.

18 minutes ago, Krieg said:

It is funny seeing foreigners supporting AfD. It is like Mexicans supporting Trump. They exist of course, because the world is weird.

Actually, it makes some sense.  Some see the newer arrivals as competition and incorrectly think that supporting someone like Trump will keep the competition out.  Some legal residents of foreign descent also resent having to go through the proper immigration path and do not appreciate those who did not.  Unfortunately, they too can be caught up in this populist rhetoric.

43 minutes ago, Krieg said:

It is like Mexicans supporting Trump. They exist of course, because the world is weird.

I've never heard of AfD wanting to kick out ALL the foreigners out of Germany.

IMHO, the AfD has probably reached its apex in popular support unless there is another very public radical lurch to open borders by the German government. More fundamentally, not only do they completely lack a powerful, decades-old patronage network with strong links to the business community and other institutions that can guarantee financial security, but they are associated with just a few issues.

On 2.5.2016, 02:06:17, Eupathic Impulse said:

No credible analysis of demographic change in Europe (meaning, excluding any idiotic exponential growth extrapolation) has the Muslim population of any Western country higher than 10-12% of total population in the next several decades.  Among these, they occupy a spectrum from liberals to Wahhabis with many sects and factions and no real political unity of any kind.  So there is no foreseeable chance of a "creeping Islamization" in the sense of non-Muslims being themselves required to adopt Islamic practices themselves (and no, exposure to Muslim practices in public spaces doesn't count).

No credible analysis of demographic change in Europe (meaning, excluding any idiotic exponential growth extrapolation) has the AfD or Pegida population of Germany higher than 10-12% of total population in the next several decades.  Among these, they occupy a spectrum from liberals to neo nazis with many sects and factions and no real political unity of any kind.  So there is no foreseeable chance of a "creeping Islamophobia" in the sense of Muslims being themselves required to adopt western practices themselves (and no, exposure to western practices in public spaces doesn't count).

28 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

I've never heard of AfD wanting to kick out ALL the foreigners out of Germany.

Time for Godwin law.

Stein reports having asked Niemöller why he ever supported the Nazi Party, to which Niemöller replied:

"I find myself wondering about that too. I wonder about it as much as I regret it. Still, it is true that Hitler betrayed me. I had an audience with him, as a representative of the Protestant Church, shortly before he became Chancellor, in 1932. Hitler promised me on his word of honor, to protect the Church, and not to issue any anti-Church laws. He also agreed not to allow pogroms against the Jews, assuring me as follows: "There will be restrictions against the Jews, but there will be no ghettos, no pogroms, in Germany.""

Of course, no totalitarian party shows its true face at the beginning. First they want support from "nutzliche Idioten", this in case of AfD includes foreigners. When then aquire power and become strong enough, they will kick these former supporting foreigners out. While democratic politicians lie, why would one expect the parties like AfD telling the truth?

AfD on foreigners:

"fordern wir, die EU-Personenfreizügigkeit dahingehend einzuschränken, dass dem aufnehmenden Staat eine kontrollierte Steuerung der EU‐Zuwanderung durch Arbeitnehmer und Familienangehörige möglich ist."

-> You've got a job? You may be welcome. You've got kids? Leave them where they are, please.

"Für eine Einwanderung in diesem Sinne müssen vor der Einreise die Integrationsfähigkeit, die Qualifikation, Sprachkenntnisse und ein Arbeitsplatzangebot ausschlaggebend sein."

"Gelungene Integration fordert von Einwanderern jeden Alters mindestens das Erlernen der deutschen Sprache"

-> Your german isn't good enough to understand this? Please f*** of and go back to where you came from.

"Die AfD lehnt den „Doppelpass“, also den Erwerb der deutschen Staatsangehörigkeit bei gleichzeitigem Fortbestand oder Erwerb einer anderen Staatsangehörigkeit grundsätzlich ab"

-> 1 person, 1 nationality, 1 passport!

And so on and so on. Sorry, if I have to read more of that garbage I will have to puke. A lot. Seriously.

What is actually wrong with those statements?  As I understand it they are all (except the reduction of EU mobility) current german law and despite very low support for AfD those policies are actually all pretty mainstream and well supported by the public here.

An SPD member of Merkel's cabinet (Andrea Nahles) recently publicly announced restrictions on access to Hartz IV for EU foreigners.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Are you still posting and preaching your love for the fake refugees ? Don`t you ever stop ? Keep it going, you might actually convince yourself that the people who enter Germany are the real refugees and the people stuck in the Syrian/Turkey border are the fake refugees who are entitled to no sympathy. Keep believing that your actions of supporting the fake refugees have no baring of what is now happening on the Syria/Turkey border. You are indeed one of the greatest fools the internet has ever seen. 

Thanks for your input, but I don't need the opinion of an avowed Islamophobe, UKIPper, and Brexiter, because I already know it's garbage.