Cost of repairing a bollard?

5 posts in this topic

Please help! 

Last week I wrote off our only car in the bad weather and in the process damaged a hollow plastic bollard by the side of the road (knocked it over). I've paid my on-the-spot fine for being "at fault" but the policeman told me I would be sent the bill to repair the single bollard I damaged. Does any one have any idea how much this sort of think might cost to repair/replace? I could go along tomorrow and just stick it back in myself, but somehow I doubt they'll accept that. 

We're trying to decide whether we are better switching our insurance to a new vehicle and paying out of our own pocket for the bollard or whether we should keep the car insured (despite it being a write off and not driveable) until this bill comes through, in case it's huge. 

I have absolutely no idea how much it would be. 

On a side note, I've had discussions with people since my accident who are 1) surprised I was fined (since I was not speeding, and I was driving cautiously) and 2) have told me that there was an oil spill last year on the patch of road I lost control on, and they had a sign up for months which was removed at the end of last year but it's a real hot spot for accidents, all of whom are having the same sort of accident as me. Am I able to request an investigation into the road condition to stop it happening to other people? 

3) I'm not actually certain I hit this particular bollard, and that it wasn't already down, but the German policeman was so grumpy and domineering and I was in such state I didn't argue at the time.

I am in Bad Lippspringe near Paderborn

Thanks for for your help! 

K

I think you should go back and stick it back in yourself.  A quick internetsearch for an absperrpoller reveals that it might cost somewhere between 20€ and 600€ depending on the make and model.  The city is probably not buying the cheapest ones.

13 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I think you should go back and stick it back in yourself.  A quick internetsearch for an absperrpoller reveals that it might cost somewhere between 20€ and 600€ depending on the make and model.  The city is probably not buying the cheapest ones.

Won't they still charge me though, even if I did put it back in myself?! 

If you put it back in and photograph it, then you can dispute whether a new one is needed or not.  Usually there is more than one in a line so you can take a second photograph of an undamaged one and if they look the same, then you have a good case to say a new bollard is not necessary. 

this happened to me many years ago in Bavaria, I remember it cost approx DM100,00 (yes deutschmarks, that's how long ago it was)