Rental Car Kaution

10 posts in this topic

Hello all, first time poster

I have rented a car in Hannover back in early Feb - paid a 250 € Kaution and was told it would take 5-10 days to get it back.  I have not gotten the kaution back till now. 

After multiple phone calls, emails and own research,it was found that the car rental agency representatives on every level have lied to me and bloody screamed at me that they dont care about what happened to my money.  (I was told three different versions of what happened with the Kaution, all of which were not true.) 

I am short before going to the police and taking this to court - have never experienced anything like this before. 

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar, and if so, how best to solve this nonsense without involving courts?  I feel all other avenues have been exhausted (Phone, email, directly speaking to representatives in shop)

Thanks very much to all for any offered advice

Wow - thanks for the fast replies!

I paid with EC card - have all of the supporting paperwork, rental contract, etc.  Have also spoken with Telecash (The company which transfers cash between banks), my bank and the bank of the rental company and all have said that the transaction (Booking my Kaution back into my account) never took place.  So I have confirmation that several people have lied.

(FrauFruit) The company is a lesser known rental agency and located only in Germany (rather not name names just yet) :)

This is usually  a holding deposit on Credit card, but does not go through. At least, that is my experience. It is held in case of damage or non-payment, or petrol refill.

If you used credit card call them.

Just saw- you have contacted them.

If memory serves me right you don't go to the police, you go to an attorney. Often a first letter will take care of this. You might be able to find one who will do this for an amount not exceeding the Kaution. I once had an issue with Telecom and my Dad's attorney wrote the letter for free (because we were established with him). 

This is something I would do if I can't get anywhere with my bank. 

I once had an issue with Telecom and my Dad's attorney wrote the letter for free

That's great when one can go to an attorney for free.

Sometimes it is better to go to the police for free and see what advice they give.

Well, going to the police will not hurt, although I suppose that they will tell the OP that this is a civil case and that one should send them cease and desist letter, if that fails, proceed to small claims court for Mahnbescheid

Alternative is Lastschriftrückgabe, is only possible if payment was done via direct debit (i.e. signed, without PIN). This can be done either in your online banking (you go to Lastschriftrückgabe, find your transaction and reverse it, takes one click) or in your bank branch.

In case of credit card Zahlungsreklamation (charge back) can be an option.

Be sure that you have paperwork that everything is ok after car rental return, so that they won't suddenly find scratches on the car.

This. ^

Sadly the police will likely tell him it is a civil matter. It's not like they will go and arrest them for not giving him his Kaution back (would be kind of fun though to show up with the police). 

I never expected a free lawyer, but sometimes they'll do it for a small fee. Being a paralegal attorneys tend to still be cheaper in Germany than the US I think. So no $400/hour fees for something this minor. 

to the OP, sorry for the hassle you're experiencing... :(

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank all for your support!  I got the kaution back - found out that the rental company- Buchbinder, was the one holding back the kaution, not any other players. 

Speaking of which, may I now heartily encourage you to not ever rent from Buchbinder. They are cheaper but you will pay twice.