Elterngeld Eligibility based on employment period 12 months prior to child's birth

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, sorry: See

The examples given here are all non-eu.

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

Foreign (EU/Swiss) income did count – from 2011 to 2014 but in 2014 the highest german social court ruled that foreign income does not count because it was paid into a foreign social system. (Exemptions are only made for german Grenzgänger).

Not according to this pamphlet from the bmfsfj from 2016:  https://www.bmfsfj.de/bmfsfj/service/publikationen/elterngeld--elterngeldplus-und-elternzeit-/73770

If anyone cares, the follow up to this was that the income from outside the EU / EEA did not count at all towards DE Elterngeld. It is also important to note, that if one is a freelancer, the income amount in determining how much Elterngeld one is eligible for is calculated based on the previous year tax declaration, and not 12 months before the birth.

For example, if you are a freelancer (with DE EU / EEA income) and your kid was born in May 2015, only your income from Jan - Dec 2014 would have counted towards the Elterngeld calculation (so your income between Jan 2015 and the birth of the kid in May would not count).

The Elterngeld folks said I was only eligible for the minimum of 300 EUR per month because I was a freelancer for most of the 12-month period before my kid's birth, and therefore my DE-based income did not count towards the Elterngeld calculation. I disputed this on the basis that my freelance income was from outside the EU, since there was a very clear line within the wording of the law that said non-EU / EEA income is excluded from any DE Elterngeld calculation. I wrote that my DE income (3-months before the birth) should be the only income that counts towards the Elterngeld calculation. They accepted my argument and calculated that 3 months of DE income before my kid's birth as 12 months, and granted me the higher Elterngeld payment.

Hello

Just had our 2nd baby. My partner is taking 12 months regular eltergeld and I am planning one normal month and 2 eltergeld plus months.

I am a freelance english teacher and am not 100% certain what it is I am meant to show them in terms of income for 2018- I believe I have to prepare some sort of a profit and loss or a flow of income for 2018. Can anyone clarify this for me (I have the regular application form from them so it is only this part I am unsure about)

Thanks for your help

4 hours ago, liebling said:

Your Steuerbescheid (income tax statement) for 2018 should do it. 

Thank you Liebling. Unfortunately I still need to process 2018s income tax statement

It would be good to get on the case of your income tax return (so that you can get a statement from the Finanzamt of the income they've calculated for you based on the data you provided with your return) - but I suppose you already know that. Lacking a statement from the Finanzamt, you might want to just contact your Elterngeldstelle (probably Amt für Versorgung und Soziales Walter-Möller-Platz 1 60439 Frankfurt/Main, Telefon: 069/15671and ask what they'll accept instead. They might well take an Einnahmen-ÜberschussRechnung (that profit/cost listing you mentioned) as a provisional indication of your 2018 income, but they can always come back to you after the fact (even after they've paid out your Elterngeld) and revise the amount of your Elterngeld up or down (clawing money back from you in case of the latter). Good luck!

Again thank you for the meaningful response. I agree with your first statement. I am going to process my tax returns for 2018 ASAP and then send the Bescheid to the Elterngeld people