Where in Spain do they have classy beach towns devoid of loud drunk aggressive English, Germans, Russians on holiday?

188 posts in this topic

I was invited to Ibiza once... being from outside of Europe I had no idea how the place was so I went only to feel sorry for myself for going there.

The amount of obscene, drunk, trashy people from Germany, the UK, Russia etc. having sex on the streets, fighting, vomiting, vandalizing locals property was too much for me!!!

NEVER AGAIN!

So this time I was invited to go on a car ride from Cologne towards Belgium, then ride on the coastal road on a little convertible for two all the way down to Mont Saint Michel in France.   Then we'll travel down the French Atlantic coast through Nantes, Bordeaux and end up in Spain.  Then in Spain we'll continue all the way on the coast until we reach the Gibraltar strait.

The thing is I would love to visit Spain but avoid places filled with British, German, Russian working class on holiday!  Is there a place in Spain where only selected tourists go to?  Meaning tourists who actually behave like people and not like animals?

I don't want to sound classist or that I have some sort of superiority complex but I can't stand loud, rude, drunk, aggressive people!

Is the North Coast of Spain  (Galicia, Basque country, Cantabria classier?)

Thanks a lot!

I grew up in Spain and although I am not much of a beach person I may give you some pointers. The north indeed attracts more national tourism and it will not be as full of those holiday makers who seek the cheapest pint and the loosest girls.

Last year I went to Puerto de Santamaria and I was pleasantly surprised at how civilized the place was. Even though there was some kind of motorcycle event in nearby Jerez and the town was full of bikers there was none of the unpleasantness that you describe. The beach of Valdelagrana is very big and really beautiful and it's only one corner of it that's developed (no nightclubs or cheesy boozy places either). There are some other smaller beaches in P.d.SM that are quite nice and most of the tourism is from local people that live inland and middle class families.

Around Cadiz, Sancti Petri, Conil and El Palmar are favoured by the middle classes and "green" types looking for nature so they might be more along the lines of what you are looking for. Tarifa is also civilized but it might not be ideal unless you are into windsurfing. It's always very, very windy there.

As you keep going east and into the Mediterranean things start to get rowdier but as far as you stick to beaches that are far away from town centers and watering holes you should be fine. You can expect everywhere to be very crowded on weekends though.

We stayed in Calpe and visited Moraira. Loved the area but I was the one who felt out of place in Moraira,  it had a real money feel to it. It isn't (or at least wasn't) a party town.

San Sebastián always seemed relatively civilised and Spanish (basque) and very nice although my wife complains the sea is cold 

2 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

I was invited to Ibiza once... being from outside of Europe I had no idea how the place was so I went only to feel sorry for myself for going there.

The amount of obscene, drunk, trashy people from Germany, the UK, Russia etc. having sex on the streets, fighting, vomiting, vandalizing locals property was too much for me!!!

NEVER AGAIN!

We went on holiday to Ibiza with the children 11 times I think between 1998 & 2009 & had a completly different experience - we stayed in a "Club" just North-East of St. Eulalia with lots of sports etc. activities.  My wife & I went twice more without the kids.  The last time they were with us they were 17 & 20 - years, not months - so you can see how much they liked it there. 

Unfortunatly the hotel/club has been leased out to another operator with result that the prices are considerably increased & the "magic" is gone.

Sad times (otherwise we would have gone there last September).

" The thing is I would love to visit Spain but avoid places filled with British, German, Russian working class on holiday! "

HEM is British so his post is biased. Don't believe him.

6 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

HEM is British so his post is biased. Don't believe him.

All posts are biased.

Actually the hotel/club we went to was (at that time) a 100% German-speaking environment.

Apart from a few "Liegereservisten" it was a pretty tame family location.

I remember several years ago waiting for our luggage to arrive @ Ibiza airport - the adjacent converor belt was for a flight from Glasgow & the audults had clearly been "filling up" on the flight.  I felt really sorry for the poor kids.

Cadiz is good. It's an interesting historic town which also has perfect beaches. If you go to Gibraltar, you might try Ceuta, that's a Spanish exclave on the opposite side of the Gibraltar Strait (in Africa!) Take a ferry from Algeciras, the journey takes 1 hour  if I remember correctly. This place is definitely totally free from organized tourism.

Gibraltar has beaches as well, but I haven't tried them. This is like the UK, but in more old style from 60-70s. No drunks as the place is not cheap. Also you can check La Linea (this is the place where you spend a night during Gibraltar visit to avoid overpriced hotels there), this place is also unknown to beach tourists.

For 10 years my  (late) parents had a villa on the Costa Blanca in Calpe.

By no means as raucous as nearby Benidorm and  there was sometimes really good "fusion food" (often in  Belgian-owned restaurants) that attracted locals as well as expats.Then there were establishments by the fishing port - go there after the catch had been landed for a feast of freshly-cooked fish and seafood.

But to get away from it all, it was only necessary to drive a few miles inland through the orange and lemon groves and up into the mountains. Little traffic, expat or local, and wild herb-scented countryside, old Arab fortesses etc, etc.

If I couldn't afford a hire-car, I'd take the bus (for example) to Gandia and on to Valencia for a day trip, then take an express train inland to Alicante and then back to Calpe via the little narrow-gauge line alnong the coast.

4 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

NEVER AGAIN!

So this time I was invited to go on a car ride from Cologne towards Belgium, then ride on the coastal road on a little convertible for two all the way down to Mont Saint Michel in France.   Then we'll travel down the French Atlantic coast through Nantes, Bordeaux and end up in Spain.  Then in Spain we'll continue all the way on the coast until we reach the Gibraltar strait.

The thing is I would love to visit Spain but avoid places filled with British, German, Russian working class on holiday!  Is there a place in Spain where only selected tourists go to?  Meaning tourists who actually behave like people and not like animals?

I don't want to sound classist or that I have some sort of superiority complex but I can't stand loud, rude, drunk, aggressive people!

Thanks a lot!

beach or no beach...just dont forget to pack your jimmy choos heels along

I can recommend Javea on the Costa Blanca, not far from Calpe.  

I've been taking my family there for over 20 years and have never once seen any rowdy behaviour and the climate and surroundings are fantastic.

I have an apartment there that can sleep up to 8 people and is a 5 minute walk from the beach if anyone would like to rent it.

Cadiz then follow the road down to Palmar, Zahora and Los Canos de Meca and keep going round to Zahara until you finally start hitting Algericas/Gibraltar

Lovely clean beaches, hardly overcrowded and most have something nearby for entertainment/food - especially Cadiz.

6 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

Go to Portugal, costa Vicentina.

2 hours ago, YoRambo said:

beach or no beach...just dont forget to pack your jimmy choos heels along

I am actually taking my Manolo Blahnik, my Christian Louboutin, and my Alexandra Mcqueen!!!

The choos will stay in Cologne keeping an eye on my flat!

13 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

I am actually taking my Manolo Blahnik, my Christian Louboutin, and my Alexandra Mcqueen!!!

The choos will stay in Cologne keeping an eye on my flat!

Woo fasinating... i mean my ignorance about girly brands

2 hours ago, YoRambo said:

Woo fasinating... i mean my ignorance about girly brands

hahaha it's ok.   It's rote knowledge anyway!

38 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Why is is that people who work can't stand being around their working class peers?

It's not a class thing. I am working class myself.

It's simply not being around loud, obnoxious, aggressive, drunk, holiday makers!

I am a peaceful person, I like my jazz, my candles, getting lost in my head, having a meaningful conversation etc.  The last thing I want is to be surrounded by loud holiday makers.

23 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

The thing is I would love to visit Spain but avoid places filled with British, German, Russian working class on holiday!  Is there a place in Spain where only selected tourists go to?

52 minutes ago, Andrea-87 said:

It's not a class thing. I am working class myself.

Hmm.