Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does anyone know which kind of plant this is?

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

What are you going to do with your trees as they get bigger? 

I uproot my spares and chuck 'em in the compost and now I feel bad.

We started collecting native saplings last year that would normally be thrown out from private gardens.  We had loads of donations from far and wide! We asked that no seeds nor saplings be removed from the forest as they are wild animal foods. 

The idea is to grow them a bit more in big pots and then donate them where they can grow fully with stem protectors.  We’ve had lots of offers of where to plant them...forest (lots of storm destruction), kindergartens, edge of farmland, private gardens etc. Today potted 20+ maple and apple tree saplings.  Our garden is very small so we’re running out of space! I’ve just gotten some neighbours interested and they have started doing the same. From our experience so far, I’d say that at least 20-30% have the chance to fully grow.  

Every new tree helps!

5 hours ago, emkay said:

Our project to collect unwanted tree saplings, grow them and replant is going well.  Most have survived the winter and we now have around 200 trees around 50cm + high.  Mainly oaks, birch, maple and walnut.  We now have many of these small shoots all over the garden though don’t know what they are.  Googling and our plant identification app seems to think it’s a clematis vitalba of sorts though I really doubt it. Does anyone have any other ideas?  Many thanks in advance.

A637F076-A840-43FC-9E3E-579FF0C47AEE.jpeg

That looks like Kornelkirsche (dogwood) to me, with edible berries! Probably spread by birds eating the berries and shitting out the seeds. :)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kornelkirsche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus

Hi there,

those look like maple seedlings to me, probably Manitoba maple (Acer negundo).  Often the first real leaves (not seed leaves) look quite different to what you would expect from a maple.  If they are Manitoba maples please destroy them, they are classified as invasives in Germany.  

9 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

Hi there,

those look like maple seedlings to me, probably Manitoba maple (Acer negundo).  Often the first real leaves (not seed leaves) look quite different to what you would expect from a maple.  If they are Manitoba maples please destroy them, they are classified as invasives in Germany.  

Thank you. I think you’re right.  We also have a few more developed maple saplings though had never noticed the first leaves looking quite different initially.  I think they must be from our street tree so not likely to be Manitoba.