Checking income tax refund status

13 posts in this topic

Is there any online way to check the status of a tax refund? I file my return at the beginning of February for 2015, and I am supposed to get a refund because I just arrived in Germany and had income below the taxation threshold, but I haven't heard anything nor received the funds. ?? I would seem to me that in 2016 there ought to be a web site to check the status of the refund, as in most modern countries...

18 hours ago, JuanJ said:

I would seem to me that in 2016 there ought to be a web site to check the status of the refund, as in most modern countries...

Welcome to Germany. The Tax system is complicated enough and there are enough law changes every year that a complete system rework is not as easy as one should expect "in 2016". There are either smaller countries or simpler tax systems (or younger countries) that have much more technological advanced systems in place. 

It is as it is and you just have to deal with it. 

To answer your question: NO, you will have to wait for the letter of Finanzamt where you submitted your tax return, and that can take a variable amount of time, usual no less than 6weeks but can be easile 6months (tbc)

I will wait, but "The Tax system is complicated enough and there are enough law changes every year that a complete system rework is not as easy as one should expect "in 2016"." is not a reason to not have a simple way to check status of the refund. Germany is hardly unique in that respect.

Actually it is considered the most complex tax system in the world as there are 118 laws, 185 forms, and 96,000 regulations, spending €3.7 billion to collect the income tax.  The fact they don't have it online matches the rest of the bureacracy which also has very few e-services.

The US Internal Revenue Code (Title 26 of the US Code) is only one portion of the tax regulations in the country. It currently has 9,834 sections. On top of that, there are 50 states and several territories/possessions, all with their own tax codes, some of which have their own version of the IRS (one example is Puerto Rico, where it is called the Departamento de Hacienda), and their own tax codes. I believe Germany only has 16. There are also county, municipal and city tax codes to deal with. I have no idea what a full tax library for the US would look like, but it would probably easily fill the equivalent of a very large city library. 

Just the Federal portion of forms and publications numbers about 2,000. Multiply that by the six available languages (English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Russian and Vietnamese). In addition, hundreds of the forms and publications are also available in formats that accommodate assistive technology like screen reading software, refreshable Braille displayed and voice recognition software, as well as browser-friendly HTML, accessible PDF and large print. The requested budget for the IRS for FY 2016 was $13.9 billion. Some states provide their forms, publications and/or guidance in up to 41 languages (Massachusetts). 

I'm not sure I would agree with the statement that the German tax system is the most complex in the world. I hope I never have to find out for sure. :)

Can i request for the letter of Finanzamt regarding last year tax return?

I moved apartments that year and never received the letter.

Your help is much appreciated :)

Just send an email to the appropriate finanzamt office and ask for it.

Letter of confirmation for Tax return submission. ( along with the Steuernummer ) 

Thanks @evildudette, I refer to the Tax Assessment in relation to first time submitting Tax Return.

As @WhyNot_DE says in his response to the original question:

"you will have to wait for the letter of Finanzamt where you submitted your tax return".

That’s a Steuerbescheid. It doesn’t confirm submission, but tells you how much you owe/how much you get back.

You can always ask. If you received a refund you should at least know how much was sent to your bank account, but it’s a good idea to have a copy of the paperwork.

Yes! That's Steuerbescheid - the name of the document I was looking for :) Thank you!