Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is it okay to travel to Belgium?

13 posts in this topic

My deepest condolences to the families of Belgium blast victims

Do anyone know on how the travel situation is to Belgium now?

We planned long back to visit Amsterdam and Bruges this weekend through road and thinking if there is any government warnings issued against travel or travel delays expected if we plan to continue?

Accoring to the Uk governments travel advice site, all transport in to/out of Belgium is back to normal, EXCEPT flights which have been halted for at least yesterday and today. It advises people to be prepared for extra journey times due to potential security checks, and to avoid crowded areas as a precaution for personal safety, as they have implemented a Level 4 threat level.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium

I came back from a business trip to Utrecht yesterday and there was no noticeable impact (whereas the day before trains were cancelled/stations closed etc.).  One of my colleagues was travelling home via Brussels, and his train was running normally (I haven't heard how the trip went though.)

Thank you all... Security wise, I guess it's fine but weather is not looking so good. So cancelling :(

Many places are what you make of it - whatever the weather!

Just look at England with it's reputation for only ever having rain or fog - the people still have lots of fun!

Personally, my tendency, particularly after the bombings, would be to go to Belgium, even if only as a gesture ...

Uh?  The weather's not looking particularly bad - typical for the time of year.  Saturday is actually looking quite nice.  If you wait for the weather to get much better you could be waiting for a while!  

The UK Foreign Office isn't warning against travel to Belgium - it does say be vigilant in Brussels but I think that's been the advice since before Christmas.   As for border controls, we travelled from Germany across the Netherlands yesterday and there were no border controls either way between Germany and the Netherlands at the crossing near Venlo.  We were catching the Rotterdam/Hull ferry and people on the ferry said that there was a greater police presence at the Belgian/Netherlands border and they were pulling people out for checks, but they weren't checking every car.  In the UK they were opening up all the cars and checking them and looking underneath. They were also asking everyone where they'd come from and where they were going to in addition to the usual passport checks.  

I agree with Robinson.  I'd be inclined to go if I had plans to visit Belgium and it was practical to get there.  I think that sometimes gestures mean a lot to people.  

I generalize your question: is it ok to travel to a country with recent terror activity?

In general, yes, because terror causes massive police presence, so crime in this country is actually lower than normal. I won't advice to travel exactly on the day this happened, the day after that can be risky but then it's totally safe. Two days after first attack the terrorists won't do anything, their only activity will be run away and hide.

Exercise caution, obey local police orders. Other than that, it's ok. And hotel prices will be down, so you will win in the end.

If you read French, here is the website by Belgium authorities: https://twitter.com/crisiscenterBE

I would go.... if I could have gotten there...  Sadly I won't be spending Easter with my family as my flight got cancelled and alternatives are too expensive or take too much time.  

My sister will be diverted to Amsterdam and will then take a train.  Advice in Belgium is, if using another airport in Belgium is to turn up to 5 hrs prior to departure due to extra security.    

On 24.3.2016, 20:09:50, chowdarygm said:

Thank you all... Security wise, I guess it's fine but weather is not looking so good. So cancelling :(

Terrorists  0 - 1  Weather

I do comedy gigs here and there at a small bar in Brussels, and I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary the last time I was there which was last weekend.   I would say it's pretty safe!

The Auswärtiges Amt gives green light. You're expected to see a lot of police/military and be ready to spot checks, that's it.

Just back from Brussels. No more than normal police presence has been noticed in public areas. Lots of tourists in the city, everything looks (and is) normal. I have seen two soldiers walking with machine guns near Manneken Piss, but they didn't seem to patrol the area of city center. Instead, I've seen permanent machine gun patrols in Strasbourg (railway station area) and Paris (Louvre) long before any attacks, so if I didn't know about attacks I would have though that this is what they do in French speaking world.

Also no police noticed outside Brussels (apart from normal presence before attacks), no passport checks at the borders with Germany, Netherlands or Luxembourg. Don't know about France because it established passport checks after Paris attacks, so if going to Lille better make sure you have a passport with you.

The locals in Brussels also look very relaxed and have attitude like "shit happens". There is totally no reason not to have a couple of Trippels in one of the pubs.