Brussels Terror Attacks: Islamist Jihadist Terrorists Strike Again

502 posts in this topic

Hmm not sure about that EI. I would guess such an attack takes some time to prepare...

My suspicion is that the attack (planning) was already under way when the arrests occurred. So maybe the arrests actually reduced the number of the attacks.

Was reading some interview yesterday from a Belgian law enforcement official, who said that they assumed an attack was already imminent.

2 minutes ago, sr5dnptylno said:

@Eupathic Impulse The Belgian Interior Minister warned yesterday of the potential of revenge attacks due to the arrest of the paris attacker.
They were already on a hightened level of alert.
TODAY they are on MAXIMUM ALERT.

And that seems to be the going theory:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/kampf-gegen-den-terror/anschlaege-in-bruessel-racheakt-fuer-verhaftung-abdeslams-14139392.html

Der französische Staatsanwalt Francois Molins, der die Ermittlungen zu den Pariser Anschlägen vom 13. November leitet, hatte bei einem Besuch in Brüssel am Montag vor neuen Anschlägen gewarnt. Abdeslam und seine Komplizen hätten ein großes Waffenarsenal angehäuft. Bei Hausdurchsuchungen in den vergangenen Tagen hatten die Ermittler große Mengen an Munition und Schusswaffen sichergestellt. Molins äußerte sich an der Seite des belgischen Staatsanwaltes Frédéric Van Leeuw. „Die Tatsache, dass wir auf ausländische Kämpfer mit schweren Waffen gestoßen sind, ist beunruhigend“, sagte Van Leeuw. „Ausländische Kämpfer mit Waffen in einem Haus, ich glaube kaum, dass dies zur Vorbereitung eines Picknicks diente. Die Ermittlungen müssen zeigen, ob sie Attentate planten oder vorbereiteten“, sagte der belgische Staatsanwalt am Montag.

The sequence of events has all been thought through.  It's not "revenge", it's provocation. Presumably they knew it was inevitable that one or more of them would eventually be caught, so of course they're making the point that it doesn't matter.

We won't know this for a while but I'd be curious to know if the attackers were stereotypical looking muslims or not. In other words had they stopped and search every muslim in the place could they have caught or prevented the attack. 

BTW it seems odd we're seeing this in France Belgium and not elsewhere, considering Muslims make up a 1/3 or so of Europe. Any thoughts as to why

Officials knew something was going down...too much backchannel chatter and other indications.

3 minutes ago, airwave said:

Hmm not sure about that EI. I would guess such an attack takes some time to prepare...

My suspicion is that the attack (planning) was already under way when the arrests occurred. So maybe the arrests actually reduced the number of the attacks.

Was reading some interview yesterday from a Belgian law enforcement official, who said that they assumed an attack was already imminent.

This is all pure speculation of course, we know literally nothing at this point, other than that people died in the attack -- but it's not like that ever stopped anyone.  I am guessing that it *did* take time to prepare and was basically waiting to be triggered by a particular event.  This is a war fought in front of the media to provoke particular reactions.

34 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:
12 minutes ago, Perfect Poise said:

That's easy to say if you're not one of the poor souls killed or injured in one of the explosions (or a friend or relative of one of them).

Don't mistake my pragmatism for lack of sympathy, of course it is tragic for those affected, but when you allow the (very remote) chance of being hit by a terrorist to stop you from living your life as normal, you are giving in to the terrorist's demands, it also means you are more susceptible to the manipulations of political leaders who tell you that in order to protect you, they must introduce 'urgent' security measures, whatever they are..

This cannot be the way forward.

3 minutes ago, sr5dnptylno said:

@Eupathic Impulse The Belgian Interior Minister warned yesterday of the potential of revenge attacks due to the arrest of the paris attacker.
They were already on a hightened level of alert

I have to question then, what is the difference between a city on high alert or not?  The huge increases in spending on security and these things can still happen. I realize they cannot prevent every attack but you would think the airports and metro stations at the very least would be monitored very closely. 

1 minute ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

We won't know this for a while but I'd be curious to know if the attackers were stereotypical looking muslims or not. In other words had they stopped and search every muslim in the place could they have caught or prevented the attack. 

BTW it seems odd we're seeing this in France Belgium and not elsewhere, considering Muslims make up a 1/3 or so of Europe. Any thoughts as to why

Muslims don't make a 1/3rd of Europe, at least not of the EU.  More like 5-8%.

In France in particular but also francophone Belgium it has its roots in a particular social history. 

1 minute ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

If they searched everyone, Muslim or not, before entering the airport and discovered someone was holding a bomb, it would be detonated immediately. Thus, killing the person who found it and all in the vicinity. They are suicide bombers.

Marseilles has the largest Muslim population in Europe. That could be part of the reason why we're seeing this in France. Brussels is the EU "capitol".

11 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I can't help but imagine that it was intended to be a calculated and planned response to the recent arrests. 

So that makes it Ok then??

3 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

The day isn´t over yet...who knows what may still happen. Fingers crossed: nothing...

13 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:
1 minute ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

No, where did I say that?

Finally... you give a definate and understandable answer!!!

You do not think its OK...   

What happened to the perpetrators? I may have missed something. Blew themselves up? Got shot? Ran away?

The French Interior Minister Cazeneuve is giving press conference in full defensive mode denying right off the bat any foreknowledge.

Official toll is now 21 dead, 55 injured following the three blasts (two at the airport, one on the subway).

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

What happened to the perpetrators? I may have missed something. Blew themselves up? Got shot? Ran away?

One blew himself up at the airport. No information about the other two explosions (if they were suicide attacks or packages placed somewhere).

The perpetrators were suicide bombers, it seems.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

This is a pretty interesting point:

He said Belgian intelligence services had been playing "catch-up" since then and did not have a "very good system" of sharing information across the various authorities.

He said attacks in Britain had been prevented by Muslim communities reporting suspicious behaviour to police but this was not yet happening in Belgium. 

Belgium's security has long known to be deficient in the "behind-the-scenes" aspects of intelligence. 

http://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-failed-state-security-services-molenbeek-terrorism/

But Belgium, in thrall to its linguistic politics, is moving in the opposite direction. Almost every general election and subsequent negotiation of a coalition federal government brings another round of devolving powers to its regions, ranging now to the most banal of subjects — such as, to cite a recent example, the recognition of foreigners’ professional qualifications.

It was revealed after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in January that the Belgian secret service had a shortfall of 150 intelligence officers on a desired complement of 750 (so few!). This week it was disclosed that 42 people had been recruited, but their training would take another two years. The consequences of that understaffing are dribbling out, with further disclosures about information on the Paris attackers that was not passed on or pulled together.

This failure to connect is a feature of the Belgian state. The machinery that elsewhere would link local, regional and national is not joined up. To a large extent, the political class has come to terms with these dysfunctionalities, accepting them as a price that has to be paid for various linguistic and factional divisions.

For outsiders, it should be admitted, this is part of what makes Belgium an easy place in which to live. The state, by and large, is unassertive. People can get by, perhaps relying on informal support structures. For the most part, they do not need the law.

Now Belgium is probably going to react by strengthening the visible "theatrical" part of its security systems, but what it needs is reform of its governmental structures, which doesn't seem to be possible.

13 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Muslims make up a 1/3 or so of Europe

eh?  stat?