Brussels Terror Attacks: Islamist Jihadist Terrorists Strike Again

502 posts in this topic

Perhaps I did not express myself clearly enough.  My main focus is on the disparity of coverage in the media and the global Response.  The attacks in Paris are en excellent example.  Immediately after the attacks, Facebook turned into a flurry of French flags, global leaders denounced the attacks, professing solidarity and declaring that this was not an attack on the French People, but on all humanity. 24-hour coverage in the News... yet one week before 40 People were killed and over 200 injured in an attack in Beirut, and it hardly waraaented a peep.  Where was the flood of Lebenese flags? etc.  It should have received just as much coverage, but, apparently, as it happened in Lebanon, there was relatively nothing.  I was in no way trying to suggest that people here have less empathy for "different-skinned" People, but I am just tired of the seeming lack of global Attention.

 

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/not-just-paris-why-is-beiruts-brutal-terrorist-attack-being-ignored-20151115

 

So much about this pisses me off.  Attack in Brussels, "let's Close the borders, let's patroll Muslim neigborhoods, build that wall!" etc.  25 People killed in Newton Connecticut and, "that's America, don't you dare come after my guns!"

 

Sorry, I have been suffering from an overabundance of Trump/Cruz/election bullshit lately...

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RickMunich said:

Perhaps I did not express myself clearly enough.  My main focus is on the disparity of coverage in the media and the global Response.  The attacks in Paris are en excellent example.  Immediately after the attacks, Facebook turned into a flurry of French flags, global leaders denounced the attacks, professing solidarity and declaring that this was not an attack on the French People, but on all humanity. 24-hour coverage in the News... yet one week before 40 People were killed and over 200 injured in an attack in Beirut, and it hardly waraaented a peep.  Where was the flood of Lebenese flags? etc.  It should have received just as much coverage, but, apparently, as it happened in Lebanon, there was relatively nothing.  I was in no way trying to suggest that people here have less empathy for "different-skinned" People, but I am just tired of the seeming lack of global Attention.

 

So much about this pisses me off.  Attack in Brussels, "let's Close the borders, let's patroll Muslim neigborhoods, build that wall!" etc.  25 People killed in Newton Connecticut and, "that's America, don't you dare come after my guns!"

 

Sorry, I have been suffering from an overabundance of Trump/Cruz/election bullshit lately...

I perhaps should have taken a breath before my previous response, emotions run high at the moment for many of us, I apologise for my tone.

 

I understand where you are coming from but I just see it differently. I expect the European media to be Europe-centric and the American media to be US-centric. Why would they not be? Despite how it seems sometimes, the world is still an awfully big place and you can't weep at everyone's problems or else you would drown. That's not ideal but not much in this life is ideal. Facebook is a western company with it's base in America - I am sure (and this is only an assumption on my part, I could be wrong) that the majority of your friends on that platform are from Europe/America/Oz etc. who for the same reason as the media concentrate on their own lives/part of the world.

 

The world is not a fair place but just because I am not going to feel guilty for being a white European who cares mostly about where his family and friends reside (not the colour of their skin or where they were born) does not mean I am some unsympathetic brute. I'm not. And despite my own inclinations towards the misanthropic I would still go out of my way to help anyone in need, if I could. Yet I have a bigger priority and stronger loyalty to my family, my friends, the local community (even here to an extent) as compared to strangers. It doesn't mean I don't care about (or it is to the exclusion of) the wider world.

 

These are atrocious times and our emotions are strained and nobody has the answer - but despite our differing opinions we must do what we can to stop becoming so polarised in our society (which seems to be becoming the norm).

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RickMunich said:

Perhaps I did not express myself clearly enough.  My main focus is on the disparity of coverage in the media and the global Response.  The attacks in Paris are en excellent example.  Immediately after the attacks, Facebook turned into a flurry of French flags, global leaders denounced the attacks, professing solidarity and declaring that this was not an attack on the French People, but on all humanity. 24-hour coverage in the News... yet one week before 40 People were killed and over 200 injured in an attack in Beirut, and it hardly waraaented a peep.  Where was the flood of Lebenese flags? etc.  It should have received just as much coverage, but, apparently, as it happened in Lebanon, there was relatively nothing.  I was in no way trying to suggest that people here have less empathy for "different-skinned" People, but I am just tired of the seeming lack of global Attention.

 

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/not-just-paris-why-is-beiruts-brutal-terrorist-attack-being-ignored-20151115

 

So much about this pisses me off.  Attack in Brussels, "let's Close the borders, let's patroll Muslim neigborhoods, build that wall!" etc.  25 People killed in Newton Connecticut and, "that's America, don't you dare come after my guns!"

 

Sorry, I have been suffering from an overabundance of Trump/Cruz/election bullshit lately...

Had an argument with a colleague at work who wanted to know why when a bomb goes off in Istanbul people at work don't talk as much about it as when Paris or wherever happens.

So I asked him about Boko Haram and he didn't even know who they were.When I explained who they were he basically said "well that's in Africa".If I recall correctly they're responsible for more deaths than ISIS,Al Qaeda etc.

 

Let's put this another way..

When my mum died I was devastated.However when my dads 2nd cousin who I'd never met who lived in Canada died I thought that's a shame but that was it.

It's called human nature in that people close to you mean more to you than strangers or acquaintances.Same as news that is on our doorstep means more to us than news that comes from countries we have probably never seen or in some cases (mostly Americans :)) have never even heard of.

Do you believe people in Beirut were not as distant to the Paris attacks as Europe was to the Beirut attacks ?

Do you think the people in Kenya etc care as much about Europe as they do about what is happening in their own lands ?

 

I know some people who think like you do and although I cannot comment on you as I don't know you these people don't actually care any more than most of us.They merely use this argument as a preaching tool against the heathens of the West.

 

 

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Had an argument with a colleague at work who wanted to know why when a bomb goes off in Istanbul people at work don't talk as much about it as when Paris or wherever happens.

So I asked him about Boko Haram and he didn't even know who they were.When I explained who they were he basically said "well that's in Africa".If I recall correctly they're responsible for more deaths than ISIS,Al Qaeda etc.

 

Let's put this another way..

When my mum died I was devastated.However when my dads 2nd cousin who I'd never met who lived in Canada died I thought that's a shame but that was it.

It's called human nature in that people close to you mean more to you than strangers or acquaintances.Same as news that is on our doorstep means more to us than news that comes from countries we have probably never seen or in some cases (mostly Americans :)) have never even heard of.

Do you believe people in Beirut were not as distant to the Paris attacks as Europe was to the Beirut attacks ?

Do you think the people in Kenya etc care as much about Europe as they do about what is happening in their own lands ?

 

I know some people who think like you do and although I cannot comment on you as I don't know you these people don't actually care any more than most of us.They merely use this argument as a preaching tool against the heathens of the West.

 

 

This a part of modern social media culture where unless you are horrified and upset by everything, you cannot be horrified or upset by anything.

 

All or nothing. It is of course total BS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickMunich said:

Perhaps I did not express myself clearly enough.  My main focus is on the disparity of coverage in the media and the global Response.  The attacks in Paris are en excellent example.  Immediately after the attacks, Facebook turned into a flurry of French flags, global leaders denounced the attacks, professing solidarity and declaring that this was not an attack on the French People, but on all humanity. 24-hour coverage in the News... yet one week before 40 People were killed and over 200 injured in an attack in Beirut, and it hardly waraaented a peep.  Where was the flood of Lebenese flags? etc.  It should have received just as much coverage, but, apparently, as it happened in Lebanon, there was relatively nothing.  I was in no way trying to suggest that people here have less empathy for "different-skinned" People, but I am just tired of the seeming lack of global Attention.

 

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/not-just-paris-why-is-beiruts-brutal-terrorist-attack-being-ignored-20151115

 

So much about this pisses me off.  Attack in Brussels, "let's Close the borders, let's patroll Muslim neigborhoods, build that wall!" etc.  25 People killed in Newton Connecticut and, "that's America, don't you dare come after my guns!"

 

Sorry, I have been suffering from an overabundance of Trump/Cruz/election bullshit lately...

I have heard this argument many times and I think it is not so much that we do not care about Beirut or Nigeria etc... It is that attacks in those countries are more frequent and we have become almost accustomed to them whereas attacks of this kind are rare in Europe or North America....or at least they used to be :(

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also because the terrorism in Europe is often in places tourists from all over the world dream of going to..Paris, London etc..or have been there...and the citizens of those countries where tourists come from want to know if they´ll be safe....not quite so many tourists go to Beirut or Nigeria. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, john g. said:

A terrorist of his own kind not so long ago...Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic gets 40 years for genocide:

 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35893804

I was a peacekeeper in Bosnia back in the late 1990s. Back then he still had a monopoly on petrol and cigarette sales in the Serb parts of Bosnia and had plenty of money to pay hundreds of armed bodyguards and couldn't be easily snatched by commandos. It's justice delayed for the many thousands of people he conspired to kill, but I think he would have been a very suitable candidate for capital punishment.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He´ll  get it soon if he ends up in the wrong wing of the prison, Conquistador.  He can try again in the next life.

Wasn´t that the conflict where the West helped Muslims?:huh:...my memory is not what it was...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it was, indeed, John, and we got no credit from the Muslim world for it. Serbs told me back then that we were stupid for doing it. Bosnian Muslims did seem to appreciate it, though- they told me that the Saudis only built mosques for them (leading from the rear, EI-style).

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was being sarcastic! Ironical, whimsical...I remember it well...the pictures of barbed wire and skinny prisoners...in Europe...and not in the 1940s...

Tony Blair and Kosovo?

 

Last year, an Albanian worker came to do some cement work on our place.  It´s Albanians that mostly do the heavy stuff in Crete in hot weather. Language was difficult..we agreed in broken Greek I was English and he was Albanian and he said (in Greek ) .." ah, English..Tony Blair ". And smiled. It was a hot day , I gave him  a beer and money for his work but couldn´t communicate well enough to have a chat about what he meant...I think he was happy I was English, though..( not that I had had anything to do with Kosovo ).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Serbs have a long memory- they were still talking about losing Kosovo Polje to the Turks in 1389 and their disdain for the people that converted from Orthodox Christianity to Islam under Ottoman rule, so I have no doubt that they are still angry about 1999.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand people being angry about things in their personal  lifetime but 1389...! The year of my birth!:lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a work colleague from Macedonia...he swears "the west" sold Serbia down the river with regards to Kosovo and KLA and that it was simply a continuation of a muslim invasion of the region...

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Conquistador said:

The Serbs have a long memory- they were still talking about losing Kosovo Polje to the Turks in 1389 and their disdain for the people that converted from Orthodox Christianity to Islam under Ottoman rule, so I have no doubt that they are still angry about 1999.

Not just the battle of Kosovo but the Serbs endured centuries of Turkish oppression, which ended in the 19th century.  Yeah that still is a long time but quite a few African Americans still blame the state of affairs on slavery which was supposed to have ended also in the 19th century.  Add that to the fact that many hardliner Turks deny that the Turks ever did anything wrong, including completely denying the Armenian genocide.

 

With that being said contrary to what Karadžić and Mladić wanted the world to believe, Bosnian Muslims were as secular as you can get in the Islamic world before 1991.  Even today you will see Bosnian Muslim men drinking and eating pork and Bosnian women dating and marrying non Muslim men without the precondition of converting to Islam.  If they wanted to fight against Islamism, like they said, then Bosnia wasn't the place to do it.

 

12 hours ago, Alcala said:

I have a work colleague from Macedonia...he swears "the west" sold Serbia down the river with regards to Kosovo and KLA and that it was simply a continuation of a muslim invasion of the region...

A few things:

 

1) The West, or at least Germany or the USA, was never really an ally of Serbia in the region.  The Germans and Americans were allied more with Croatia.  When the Croatian War of Independence broke out in 1991 with the invasion of Vukovar, the Kosovo Albanians immediately sided with the Croats since Milošević attempted to take away Kosovo's autonomy.  The Bosnian Muslims soon followed in 1992 due to the outbreak of war in their country.  The Albanians used their alliance and solidarity with Croatia to "hook up" with some of Croatia's allies and gain support for their cause.

 

2) Horrible atrocities were committed by everybody in Yugoslavia:  Croats, Serbs, Muslims and Albanians.  But while the president of Croatia, Franjo Tudjman, was trying to present the Croats as being victims with children and families dying as a result of the invasions, geniuses like Karadžić tried to show the world what brave warriors the Serbs were as if they were trying to impress a bunch of Klingons.  Given the Western principle of "The victim is always right", the West asked themselves "what's wrong with these nutcases?" and hence support for the Serbs in the West waned.

 

3) KLA were not Islamists, they were simply Albanian nationalists that happened to be Muslim.  Albania is about 60 % Muslim but there is very little religion fighting between Christians and Muslims in Albania.  They weren't the nicest people but their urge to make Kosovo Albanian wasn't to spread the "word of Allah" but rather to work towards a greater Albania.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Yes, it was, indeed, John, and we got no credit from the Muslim world for it. Serbs told me back then that we were stupid for doing it. Bosnian Muslims did seem to appreciate it, though- they told me that the Saudis only built mosques for them (leading from the rear, EI-style).

That's exactly it.  Bosnian Muslims as well as Albanians have a positive impression of the Americans in contrast to what we see in the Middle East and North Africa and also at some hipster cafes in Nordic cities like Cologne or Amsterdam.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joker's observations about the history of the conflict and the customs/practices of Bosnian and Kosovar Muslims are completely accurate. I saw no observance of Ramadan while there nor any halal food consumption, much less any headscarves on women's heads. I also never saw anyone enter a mosque during the call to prayer. Prior to 1991, interfaith marriages were extremely common.

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now