Brussels Terror Attacks: Islamist Jihadist Terrorists Strike Again

502 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Chocky said:

Saudi Arabia is a terrorist state. Its citizens are the most prolific private funders of Daesh, supposedly to ameliorate some of the guilt they feel for living 'decadent' western lifestyles, and the UK is one of the biggest suppliers of military hardware to them. They are currently committing atrocities against civilians in Yemen, and in the mean time, this bunch of savages is exporting their death cult doctrine across the western world, where more people are being murdered in the name of Allah.

And the reason the west tolerates these barbarians? One single thing, the black stuff that comes out of the ground.

Piss on these fascists.

Exquisitely put.Give this man a hearty round of applause.

6 hours ago, bramble said:

This article gives several reasons on why terrorists are drawn to Belgium.

If ISIS is aiming at destroying Western civilisation then I can't understand the logic in targeting crowds of innocent people on their way to work. Despite the fact that terrorism won't achieve anything at all, wouldn't there be a bigger political impact if they targeted (or tried to) any one of those institutions and organisations named in the latter part of the quote above (such as what happened with the attack on the World Trade Centre), even if they are better guarded than other buildings (with reference to the last paragraph in the quote above, which refers to security and the inefficiency of it (which I have bolded)?

It seems to me that these Islamist psycopaths are simply aiming at mass murdering and maiming as many innocent civilians as they can, while they are on their way to work, visiting rock concerts, eating out in a restaurant, visiting football matches etc. Lives don't matter, we are all infidels anyway. 

No, there's a point to these choices.  It's all about advertising, PR, and branding.  Al-Qaida targeted obvious ideological targets -- monumental institutions, emotional soft spots.  They were the people who could attack the Western elite. That was their brand.

ISIS targets ordinary civilians to prove another point entirely that has to do with their claim to being a state.  That is, they are claiming that: (1) Muslims can only properly live in a state governed by their particular take on Islamic community orthopraxy and (2) places in the world in which Muslims qua Muslims currently live will never see them as proper, indigenous citizens (this is the private angst of some of the kids who are internet-recruited by ISIS), but instead, at the first sign of trouble, turn on their Muslim populations.  That is their theory.  The choice of targets is therefore obvious: forget fancy institutions and NATO and big banks and so on, even a lot of Westerners hate them and busting up a bank building changes nothing substantive.  Instead, work to maximize rejection and fear of Muslims, to destroy what they label explicitly as the "grayzone" -- the zone with sufficient liberty that Muslims can live with an Muslim identity, and yet live alongside other people without one.  That's what this is about, ideologically.

1 hour ago, joshham said:

Because she is the only European leader who made a strong decisive decision on anything in regards to the refugee crisis which had been brewing for several years before. For this she should be commended

I was speaking with a good friend of mine who is in his 70's and has written a few books on politics.   He told me Europe lacks leaders...   Most modern European leaders are puppets of foreign interests, at the mercy of such masters with little balls to stand on their ground.  IE: Merkel bending over backwards for the US, Hollande the vile wimp ruling France is a big farce doing whatever Merkel and the US tells him to do...  while Eastern European leaders flirt with Putin when they get the short end of the stick to sort of teach the western part of Europe a lesson!!!

The Europe led by REAL leaders is long gone!!!

Today Europe is a whore of corporations, massive globalization and whatever "ism" comes from the US which Europeans adopt gladly under the belief they are so modern and civilized!!!  

Poor naive Europeans...  little they know they have become the sheep in a world filled with wolves!

9 minutes ago, Andrea-87 said:

Do you have any recent examples of "REAL leaders" - palatable ones?

12 minutes ago, HEM said:

I'll have to agree with Andrea.  The Europe that gave birth to men like Scipio Africanus, Gaius Marius or Pompeii the Great is history.  Instead we have Hollande, Merkel, and Cameron.

Just now, J0ker said:

The Europe that gave birth to men like Scipio Africanus, Gaius Marius or Pompeii the Great is history.

Not exactly recent...

Just now, HEM said:

Not exactly recent...

I'll leave the question for her to answer.  I was just saying that the so-called modern "European" leaders that I've listed are about as useful as an underground solar panel.

19 minutes ago, HEM said:

Merkel 

The mediocrity of recent politics is not a result of lack of talented people, it's a result of ideology and the fact that the scope for The Political has been reduced.  The explicit dream of a lot of people who set up the EU and the Brussels system was a continent governed by technocrats who were in their positions because they were qualified to run basically automated, rules-based mechanisms.    That doesn't just apply to the EU, though, that's been the technocratic hubris of a generation of politicians in the Western world and beyond.  In this kind of political space, politicians most of the time only exert leadership in order to bring other politicians back into line with the rules-based systems, in order to prevent the exertion of formal power.

22 minutes ago, HEM said:

Thatcher would qualify as a "REAL" leader, but because the leader has to be palatable, she is out.

Merkel is kinda like Thatcher except Merkel understands social cohesion. Maybe we need a new thread to discuss this one? Also I want to get to -50 points which makes me the winner, right?    

Minus 56, Thank you to all my supporters.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Willy Brandt - I think his Ostpolitik caused a real thaw in East-West relations at a time when it was sorely needed. He also had the decency to resign when it was discovered that Günter Guillaume, his close advisor, had been an East German agent.

Internationally, he brought a new respect for Germany which I fear is being frittered away by Merkel's myopia.

A special mention to the Canadians, I know your as sick of bloody americans as I am. 

1 hour ago, joshham said:

Merkel is kinda like Thatcher except Merkel understands social cohesion. Maybe we need a new thread to discuss this one? Also I want to get to -50 points which makes me the winner, right?    

Minus 56, Thank you to all my supporters.

Hey when I started arguing on the migrant/refugee threads, I had 1100 greens, and now I'm -270 and counting.  It's basically a monument to the absurdity of these kinds of rating systems, so have fun and watch the reds roll in.

21 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Hey when I started arguing on the migrant/refugee threads, I had 1100 greens, and now I'm -270 and counting.  It's basically a monument to the absurdity of these kinds of rating systems, so have fun and watch the reds roll in.

You want to come over to the fun side of the island.

2 hours ago, Andrea-87 said:

Today Europe is a whore of corporations, massive globalization and whatever "ism" comes from the US which Europeans adopt gladly under the belief they are so modern and civilized!!!  

Poor naive Europeans...  little they know they have become the sheep in a world filled with wolves!

And they give you a bunch of reds for telling the truth?

This just does verify my suspicion.