Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Existenzgründer/business start-up/self-employment courses in Berlin

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an AVGS (Aktivierungs- und Vermmittlungsgutschein - voucher for the cost of training) from the Arbeitsagentur to go on a training course for potential business start-ups and entrepreneurs. I have had a browse around the Weiterbildung in Berlin und Brandenburg website http://wdb-suchportal.de/ and am overwhelmed by the quantity and different types of courses.

My request is for if anyone has had experience of these kinds of courses. Do you have any recommendations? Do you know of any that are run in English? Were they worthwhile? (as an aside, I went on a Job-Coaching course, which was rather a waste of time - hence why I am looking at going self-employed).

Any advice welcome, thanks very much.

When I went on one of those courses the Arbeitsagentur suggested a place to go to, maybe you could ask them about it.

On 2016-03-12, 12:27:10, Serenissima said:

My request is for if anyone has had experience of these kinds of courses. Do you have any recommendations? Do you know of any that are run in English? Were they worthwhile? (as an aside, I went on a Job-Coaching course, which was rather a waste of time - hence why I am looking at going self-employed).

Although this is a lot of info and assistance on starting a business in Germany available in German, there is relatively little available in English (and most of the stuff I've read in English is not well translated and doesn't always make sense). The IHK might be able to offer some assistance in English, however, they also only have limited support in English for small projects.

How well do you already speak German? What type of business are you considering starting? Without a German partner who can assist you, you'll need substantial funds for professional support and assistance in English in order to deal with the bureaucracy of running a business in Germany. 

If you can understand at least C1 German I would recommend the Gründungsseminar by Step By Step. You could also try contacting ISI e.V. to see if they can recommend anywhere else (their target group is foreign women, however, they might know of programmes geared towards foreign men).

On 12/03/2016, 13:41:54, Uncle Nick said:

When I went on one of those courses the Arbeitsagentur suggested a place to go to, maybe you could ask them about it.

Ha, I was told by my Hauptbetreuer (support agent) that she is not allowed to recommend any particular course provider as they are not agencies of the government and she has to remain impartial. She just told me to use Google.

I am basically hiring myself out as a web developer 'hack for hire'. That is all. I need advice on taxes, VAT, advertising, health and pension insurance, access to markets, that kind of thing. I am not setting up a GmbH or anything, though the UG -  (Unternehmergesellschaft (beschränkt) or 1€ GmbH) does sound interesting.

Basically, I'm thinking of providing anything between creating a basic landing-page to full-package professional websites and e-commerce sites. No capital assets. property costs, personnel costs, stock, or machinery except for me and my computer. 

The courses I have looked at are rather over the top in this case, and of course all in German. Whilst my German is adequate for reading a newspaper or discussing last night's episode of Tatort, it is certainly going to flounder if it is stress-tested by German tax and employment law etc. 

On 13/03/2016, 15:12:47, engelchen said:

If you can understand at least C1 German I would recommend the Gründungsseminar by Step By Step. You could also try contacting ISI e.V. to see if they can recommend anywhere else (their target group is foreign women, however, they might know of programmes geared towards foreign men).

Thanks, that looks interesting. I shall ask the Arbeitsagentur if they wouldn't mind stumping up the cost. It would definitely be cheaper than a them paying for a full course that would probably be 90% inappropriate to my needs. This Gründungsseminar might be just enough to get me started, and they might recommend a full-blown course to use my AVGS on.

As a matter of interest Engelchen, have you been on this course yourself? What kind of business were you looking to start up?

On 18/03/2016, 10:01:53, Serenissima said:

Thanks, that looks interesting. I shall ask the Arbeitsagentur if they wouldn't mind stumping up the cost. It would definitely be cheaper than a them paying for a full course that would probably be 90% inappropriate to my needs. This Gründungsseminar might be just enough to get me started, and they might recommend a full-blown course to use my AVGS on.

As a matter of interest Engelchen, have you been on this course yourself? What kind of business were you looking to start up?

Sorry for the invasion, @Serenissima, did you end up attending a course and if so, which one? Would you recommend it? I'm interested in the same thing so I'd like to read a feedback. Thank you :)