Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,883 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2020, 9:38:57, Berlinexpatnine said:

My lawyer advised me to not inform them immediately because I just submitted paperwork going through March 2020, which was the second update to my file. He also thought that no real action would be taken until the crisis was over, and that I would simply have to wait until Kurzarbeit was over to get citizenship. I then started wondering whether Kurzarbeit is a KO condition for citizenship (it is not listed as one), but my understanding now is that the non-sustainable nature of my Kurzarbeit income is the problem. I believe my income is sufficient, but I will not be allowed citizenship because my income is in part based on non-permanent Kurzarbeit income.

I saw some application forms in internet and saw that some of them clearly mentioned Kurzarbeit as Änderung der persönlichen Verhältnis. Therefore I emailed the Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde about my Kurzarbeit. But I didn't get any response from them. I will let you know if I get any response back.  

I found some more details (page 14): https://www.jurati.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/LU-Sicherung2020.pdf

but still doesn't mention anything about the Kurzarbeit condition.

My situation was about timing. They asked for info through March 31 to be delivered in mid-April. Kurzarbeit didn't start until April and I had no documentation even showing what the Kurzarbeit level would be, so mentioning that Kurzarbeit would be coming would not be helpful.

Now a bit more time is passed, but my lawyer still said that there was no rush, since nothing is happening regarding application processing and that I would likely have to wait until Kurzarbeit period passed to get citizenship. I think he may have miscalculated my income level, since I think I still qualify for citizenship without the Kurzarbeit subsidy, but who knows how these things are handled. I would have to submit an explanation from my accountant of how I still would be earning enough even without Kurzarbeit money, and we are just waiting for any sort of response from the naturalization authority.

Naturalization is something that people work towards for a decade or more, and this whole situation with coronavirus throwing a wrench in the works really sucks. I am kind of questioning whether this whole painful and expensive process was worth it, especially with naturalization being snatched away in the last instant. It is about creating some sort of certainty in life, but maybe it is best just to live with uncertainty.