Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,867 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My my this is a mega thread! Doesn't seem to have been any updates since a deal was actually finally passed. I can't say I monitor this (hot) topic very closely, but as far as I'm aware there will be no "Hard Brexit", and the rest of 2020 will therefore be the long talked about transition period.

As far as I'm aware, if one applies for citizenship during the transition period then dual nationality is definitely possible. This article certainly states so, and this is exactly what was expected.

I've heard, interestingly enough, that certain districts are totally swamped because of this, with decision times in the years! This actually doesn't concern me; only that I log the application and qualify for the dual citizenship as and when I'm processed. If it were not, I'd just stick with the permanent residency I already have and not lose any sleep.

So, the question is: any contrary information here? Seems the situation is pretty clear, and no need for insanity such as rushing in an application before the end of January...?

As such I'll get around to applying at some point

26 minutes ago, itsthejb said:

This article certainly states so, and this is exactly what was expected.

Dont trust thelocal.  It is widely regarded (even though it owns Toytown) as being pretty useless.

27 minutes ago, itsthejb said:

I'd just stick with the permanent residency I already have and not lose any sleep.

Fair point, this is the reality for many of us brits.  There are some advantages to citizenship, but for most of us PR is enough.

29 minutes ago, itsthejb said:

no "Hard Brexit", and the rest of 2020 will therefore be the long talked about transition period

Seems likely, but if you plan to apply for dual nationality Id recommend doing it asap.

31 minutes ago, itsthejb said:

certain districts are totally swamped because of this, with decision times in the years

Dont know about for brits, but I know some people with other nationalities (Iranian for example) who have been waiting over a year and a few years ago an indian friend waited about a year.  I have no idea whats normal, but its definately measured in months rather than days or weeks.  Id expect its hugely dependant on area.

9 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Dont know about for brits, but I know some people with other nationalities (Iranian for example) who have been waiting over a year and a few years ago an indian friend waited about a year.  I have no idea whats normal, but its definately measured in months rather than days or weeks.  Id expect its hugely dependant on area.

I was told by the einburgerungamt that they`ve been told to rush through the UK citizens applications because of Brexit.

9 hours ago, itsthejb said:

Doesn't seem to have been any updates since a deal was actually finally passed.

Brexit burnout.

9 hours ago, itsthejb said:

So, the question is: any contrary information here? Seems the situation is pretty clear, and no need for insanity such as rushing in an application before the end of January...?

Nothing is yet 100% certain.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

I was told by the einburgerungamt that they`ve been told to rush through the UK citizens applications because of Brexit.

And I believe that others on here have also reported that the date of application counts, not the date of approval.

11 hours ago, itsthejb said:

To be honest if I was you if you meet the criteria now then apply ASAP.  Technically the UK leaves the EU at the end of January.  After that in theory everything should remain virtually the same until the end of the year due to the transition period, but I still think that you are relying upon the good will of the authorities to some extent as technically the UK is no longer an EU member, and if negotiations fail (which they still can) then the atmosphere might change and there could still be a hard Brexit at the end of 2020.

Whereas if you apply before the end of January then there is no doubt that until that point in time the UK is an EU member.

So if you qualify now, why not apply?

On 12/01/2020, 19:40:12, itsthejb said:

Hello everyone,

As far as I'm aware, if one applies for citizenship during the transition period then dual nationality is definitely possible. This article certainly states so, and this is exactly what was expected.

According to the German government website this is indeed the case, obviously provided that the Withdrawal Agreement passes into law and we enter the transition period.

"Essentially, under German law the United Kingdom will continue to be treated like an EU member state during the transition period. The citizenship regulations will also remain unchanged until the end of 2020: British citizens applying for German citizenship during this period will be entitled to retain their British passport, and vice versa – even if a final decision on the application is not taken until after the end of the transition period."

https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/themen/brexit/eu-states-agree-on-article-50-extension-1686144

I believe the basis for this is Section 3 of this Act passed by the German government:

https://www.bgbl.de/xaver/bgbl/text.xav?SID=&tf=xaver.component.Text_0&tocf=&qmf=&hlf=xaver.component.Hitlist_0&bk=bgbl&start=%2F%2F*%5B%40node_id%3D%27355057%27%5D&skin=pdf&tlevel=-2&nohist=1

I have an appointment in the Landratsamt on the 27 January. With this application form.Very last minute!!  :-)