Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,848 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I don't really think I want to go back, there isn't much there for me these days, but also I'm not sure there is any reason why I can't enter the country with my German passport. 

I go back once a year. I think I'll find it easier going into Britain using my UK passport, none of the "what's the purpose of your visit" nonsense. Then when coming back to the EU I'll use my German one, again same no-nonsense approach. Although I'm not looking forward to the renewal process (and the hefty price involved).

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Oh, I thought only we non-Germans had to pay German tax. I have been led up the garden path all these years by my bloody Steuerberater!🙏🏻

I just got hit with a massive (5-figure) tax bill out of the blue. I made the mistake of getting a 33% payrise early in 2018 (well, I just decided to work 40 hours a week instead of 30). As a self-employed person it meant that for the whole of 2018 I was under-paying my tax vorauszahlung (pre-paid quarterly tax) and the same for all of 2019 because I only just finished my 2018 tax return late October.

I think ( as a fellow sufferer ) the system should be reversed - the more hours you work, the less tax you pay! Invent some scan thingy which proves you are working and have it expertly inserted into your body and Bob‘s your uncle!

17 hours ago, Derek said:

So on the UK passport renewal it must have had a box to tick along the lines of "have you got citizenship in any other country?" I guess.

It does - also in the online application method.

4 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7744961/Visitors-EU-need-electronic-visas-enter-Britain-Brexit-pledge-Tories.html

EU member states will no longer be able to travel to UK with ID card and must apply in advnce to enter. 

And so it begins. :angry:

They have already said for a while that they would stop accepting ID cards from end of 2020, so that is not new.

And it is also to be expected that a pre-clearance would be needed if the EU introduces the same for UK citizens, which it will do.  A lot of countries have this already.

12 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

And it is also to be expected that a pre-clearance would be needed if the EU introduces the same for UK citizens, which it will do.  A lot of countries have this already.

And now announced from the UK side.

The EU had agreed that the new pre clearance for non EU citizens entering the EU would not be applied to UK, if reciprocated.  The UK have now chosen not to do this.