Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,865 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, bramble said:

Entlassung aus der bisherigen Staatsbürgerschaft.

Cheers !!

Just to also be aware Derek, you can't give up your UK citizenship by accident. You must do it via the UK authorities and pay a hefty fee, so nothing they say at this meeting will change stuff relating to that.

The reason they want you to take your passport is that it is the only current government issued ID that you have, they need to make sure they don't give your naturalisation certificate to the wrong person.

It's really just a formality now, the certificate has been issued and is on the desk of an official who just has to hand it over. There are some forms to sign and if I remember rightly you have to read some words off a card acknowledging that you are now a German with all the rights and obligations etc, then you go on your way.

5 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Just to also be aware Derek, you can't give up your UK citizenship by accident. You must do it via the UK authorities and pay a hefty fee, so nothing they say at this meeting will change stuff relating to that.

The reason they want you to take your passport is that it is the only current government issued ID that you have, they need to make sure they don't give your naturalisation certificate to the wrong person.

It's really just a formality now, the certificate has been issued and is on the desk of an official who just has to hand it over. There are some forms to sign and if I remember rightly you have to read some words off a card acknowledging that you are now a German with all the rights and obligations etc, then you go on your way.

Yeah, it's those forms you have to sign though. Now I'm armed with the key phrases to look out for so that I won't accidentally sign something that says I agree to go and give up my UK citizenship :-) I know it definitely sounded like the certificate had already been issued and I was just going to collect it (with the passport for id verification as you said). I have been known to miss one small word in a German sentence and completely take the opposite meaning from it (as my Gerwoman likes to remind me of on a regular basis).

18 minutes ago, Derek said:

Yeah, it's those forms you have to sign though. Now I'm armed with the key phrases to look out for so that I won't accidentally sign something that says I agree to go and give up my UK citizenship :-)...

Even if you do, you don't have to worry.  Because you won't be granted German citizenship until after you can prove that you have done this, so up to that point you can always just simply say that you have changed your mind.

And they won't tell you to actually give up your other citizenship (and prove it) until you have been approved for German citizenship.  Because you are not allowed to be left stateless permanently.  

21 minutes ago, Derek said:

...as my Gerwoman likes to remind me of on a regular basis).

Yes.  They do that!  

43 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Even if you do, you don't have to worry.  Because you won't be granted German citizenship until after you can prove that you have done this, so up to that point you can always just simply say that you have changed your mind.

And they won't tell you to actually give up your other citizenship (and prove it) until you have been approved for German citizenship.  Because you are not allowed to be left stateless permanently.

So the fact that they said "bring 255 Euros" means that they are willing to hand over my German citizenship today. If they were just going to tell me "yes you've been approved but you only get it if you give up your British one" then they wouldn't be asking for that €255 today. Case closed! 

1 minute ago, Derek said:

So the fact that they said "bring 255 Euros" means that they are willing to hand over my German citizenship today. If they were just going to tell me "yes you've been approved but you only get it if you give up your British one" then they wouldn't be asking for that €255 today. Case closed! 

When you say that you have been told to collect your documents.  What exactly do you mean?

Here is for example my timeline of events.

Friday, 18 May 2018   Applied at Amt
Wednesday, 23 May 2018   Confirmation from Amt that application is sent to Darmstadt and that I can collect my documents
Friday, 25 May 2018   Collected my documents from Amt
Friday, 25 May 2018   Amt said that Darmstadt had confirmed the application
Friday, 25 May 2018   Received confirmation from Darmstadt and Invoice
Friday, 25 May 2018   Paid Invoice
Tuesday, 28 August 2018   Confirmation of successful application

So for me it took 1 week from application at my local Amt to me receiving the invoice and then 3 months from paying to receiving confirmation of a successful application.  

14 minutes ago, Derek said:

You are worrying too much. There is nothing you can do to accidentally renounce your British citizenship. That is between you and the British authorities, and is quite an involved process, you cannot accidentally do it. There is nothing you can do or sign here in Germany to affect that.

The only thing Germany can do is not give you German citizenship. But as the UK is still part of the EU then there is no problem to have dual citizenship. All the signs are that you are following the normal process and that you can go and pick up your naturalisation certificate.

Well that couldn't have been easier. Doppel confirmed. As if I had any doubt.

51 minutes ago, Derek said:

Well that couldn't have been easier. Doppel confirmed. As if I had any doubt.

Welcome to the club. Now you have Bürgerrechte + Bürgerpflichten. :-)  You'll be off to your Rathaus to apply for your Personalausweis next.

Also, don't forget to do your tax return, don't forget to deliver assistance to others if required and look forward to a letter to serve "ehrenamtlich". ;-)

Just for the record: I have renewed both passports since I was granted dual citizenship back in 2005. I was 

given a "Merkblatt für Doppelstaatler" when I picked up my certificate of citzenship. Earlier this year I 

renewed my UK passport and the Passport Agency wanted a colour fotocopy of my entire German 

passort, including the front and back covers. When I renewed my German passport a couple of years 

ago the Germans didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that I also still have a UK passport.

1 hour ago, AdHa said:

Welcome to the club. Now you have Bürgerrechte + Bürgerpflichten. :-)  You'll be off to your Rathaus to apply for your Personalausweis next.

Also, don't forget to do your tax return, don't forget to deliver assistance to others if required and look forward to a letter to serve "ehrenamtlich". ;-)

Been doing my tax returns here since 2007. No chance of forgetting that. As for Personalausweis, already done. German Passport also. I'm told the Ausweiss will take 2 weeks and the passport 5 weeks. That was the easiest passport application I ever had to do. I didn't have to fill in any forms, the Bürgeramt did all of that. I just had to sign and pay my fees. I think it was around 29 (ish) for the Ausweis and 60 for the Passport. It's gonna be handy having a 4 year overlap between passports (my UK one expires in 4 years).

6 minutes ago, Tammodar said:

Just for the record: I have renewed both passports since I was granted dual citizenship back in 2005. I was 

given a "Merkblatt für Doppelstaatler" when I picked up my certificate of citzenship. Earlier this year I 

renewed my UK passport and the Passport Agency wanted a colour fotocopy of my entire German 

passort, including the front and back covers. When I renewed my German passport a couple of years 

ago the Germans didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that I also still have a UK passport.

So on the UK passport renewal it must have had a box to tick along the lines of "have you got citizenship in any other country?" I guess.

I don't think I will bother renewing my UK passport ever again unless I ever need to go somewhere where the visa process is easier. I don't actually see it as worth the extra cost and hassle.

6 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I don't think I will bother renewing my UK passport ever again unless I ever need to go somewhere where the visa process is easier. I don't actually see it as worth the extra cost and hassle.

I am also considering the same thing, for the same reasons.  The UK passport can be renewed at any point in the future no matter how long it is expired for.

As I have 2 UK passports then I definitely won't keep both of them, which is itself more of a hassle.

11 minutes ago, pappnase said:

To travel to the UK perhaps?

@DerekYes, the passport renewal form had box for declaring any additional citzenships. I sent a fotocopy of 

my UK passport to the Passport Agency, but they were not satisfied with it and asked for another "better" 

copy, including all (blank) pages and both covers. My application was approved only after I sent that in. 

@pappnaseI went to Russia with a friend, who (at the time) only had a UK passport. He hat to pay three 

times as much for the visa fees as I did with my German passport. 

7 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Why?  If you have German passport then you can travel in/out of the country with no issues.

Maybe in the future if they introduce fees for EU tourists then it might make sense.  But you would have to weigh up the cost of the fee vs cost of renewal, photos, courier services.

2 hours ago, AdHa said:

Oh, I thought only we non-Germans had to pay German tax. I have been led up the garden path all these years by my bloody Steuerberater!🙏🏻

11 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I don't really think I want to go back, there isn't much there for me these days, but also I'm not sure there is any reason why I can't enter the country with my German passport.