Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,697 posts in this topic

Just wanted to mention that currently (can of course change) the UK allows you to resume your British citizenship if you have to renounce it to get the nationality of another country.  So, if dual nationality is no longer possible in the future, giving up British nationality can be reversed, but only once.  Here is a link.  I found a better link the other day, but can't find it again.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/resume-your-british-nationality

On 1/18/2017, 9:06:09, theGman said:

I won't get my 8 years in Germany until this September. I will apply in any case and just see what happens. Worst case scenario is that at the end of the process I am asked to choose between British and German citizenship. Then I'll just stick with British (British state pension is worth more to me than German citizenship).

Actually, you should be able to claim the British state pension whether you are a British national or not. I remember looking into it once. I personally would dearly love to give up my British nationality in favour of German nationality (or just about any other EU nationality) and my understanding was that you will receive a state pension no matter what nationality you are so long as you have paid at least 10 years worth of contribution.

1 hour ago, NathanInGermany said:

Actually, you should be able to claim the British state pension whether you are a British national or not. I remember looking into it once. I personally would dearly love to give up my British nationality in favour of German nationality (or just about any other EU nationality) and my understanding was that you will receive a state pension no matter what nationality you are so long as you have paid at least 10 years worth of contribution.

Correct.  Certain countries, Australia, Canada, - UK pension payments are frozen.

I have both German and British citizenship for well over a decade now.

Britain is still in the EU until article 50 has been triggered and even then it takes 2 years to exit the EU.

Children who are born to a German and British parent are also entitled to dual nationality, same goes for American children with one German parent.

They cannot take away your citizenship. I know a lot of dual American/German citizens. All that will happen is that you have to enter the UK on a British passport as if you are a British citizen you cannot obviously get a VISA, just like an American does not need an ESTA. Then enter Germany on your German passport. It just means instead of being able to travel on one passport due to the EU, you will have to have two instead.

The only change will most likely happen after Brexit depending on the treaties made between the countries. Unless of course a law is passed where you have to give one up... I hope this never happens, but who knows what the future may bring?!:wacko:

@ Gman:

As a Brit, I can assure you that you will not be required to give up your British citizenship on taking German citizenship.

You are an EU member state citizen and are allowed both.

Rest easy.

Wait. I thought the UK is STILL in the EU after article 50 has been triggered and until the last formal day of its membership (approx 2 years later, depending on outcome of negotiations). There's no gray area. Or is there?

I thought Article 50 was the equivalent of a Kuendigung for a job/gym/phone/apartment, except waay more involved.

1 hour ago, paulwork said:

Wait. I thought the UK is STILL in the EU after article 50 has been triggered and until the last formal day of its membership (approx 2 years later, depending on outcome of negotiations). There's no gray area.

There should be no gray area. The exit is indeed either on the date yet to be negotiated or 2 years after the article has been triggered.

On 19.1.2017, 12:43:25, cb6dba said:

Well, mine came through today, as of this morning I am officially a British/German citizen. Just have to wait for the ID and passport to come through and then it is all done.

I handed all my certs last year so it didn't take so long (although that will be on a case by case thing I expect). However I had pretty much all my stuff collected and it isn't that hard to check things in the UK from here.

As I said before, my advice to anyone considering this is to start.

How long did it take you from submission of doc. pack to confirmation?

I submitted everything in MUC in March 2016 and I haven't heard a squeek.

On 28/01/2017, 21:16:15, NathanInGermany said:

That's the problem. I don't have 10 years yet. I was going to slowly start paying the voluntary fee, but guess I cannot do that if I am no longer British.

21 hours ago, onemark said:

@ Gman:

As a Brit, I can assure you that you will not be required to give up your British citizenship on taking German citizenship.

You are an EU member state citizen and are allowed both.

Rest easy.

All fine as long as UK is still in the EU. But if May triggers Article 50 in March then UK will be out by latest March 2019. But it could be earlier. And there is no way of knowing how long the process will take for me to get German citizenship all sorted. I would say right now that there is a (very) small chance the UK could be out before I end up getting the citizenship done.

49 minutes ago, theGman said:

That's the problem. I don't have 10 years yet. I was going to slowly start paying the voluntary fee, but guess I cannot do that if I am no longer British.

All fine as long as UK is still in the EU. But if May triggers Article 50 in March then UK will be out by latest March 2019. But it could be earlier. And there is no way of knowing how long the process will take for me to get German citizenship all sorted. I would say right now that there is a (very) small chance the UK could be out before I end up getting the citizenship done.

In March the negotiations begin. No one has any clue what the negotiations will be.

Latest noise from the home office is that those who arrived after 23rd June 2015 might not be able to settle in the UK, regardless of when the UK leaves the EU.

Being in the EU means nothing when the negotiations start.

19 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

How long did it take you from submission of doc. pack to confirmation?

I submitted everything in MUC in March 2016 and I haven't heard a squeek.

I started the whole process in March and they gave me a long list of stuff I had to collect.

Due to various things (like not thinking the vote would pass, waiting for test dates etc) I finally handed all mine in end October/begin-mid November.

30 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I started the whole process in March and they gave me a long list of stuff I had to collect.

Due to various things (like not thinking the vote would pass, waiting for test dates etc) I finally handed all mine in end October/begin-mid November.

You must be in the right part of the world!

I started in September 2015, handover appointment in March 2016.

28 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

You must be in the right part of the world!

I started in September 2015, handover appointment in March 2016.

I submitted my papers in the middle of June 2016 and was done & dusted 4 weeks later.

YMMV!

You want to try getting a passport for a German citizen - sort of. My wife is German so our daughter is dual nationality and getting a passport for her shouldn't be a problem but then we hit officialdom in RLP. We had to get her birth certificate officially translated although another office said it shouldn't be a problem. We had to get documentation confirming that she is infact born to a German national. We had to get a certificate of waiver for something or other from the local Verwaltung. We were also asked why we hadn't applied for a German passport when we lived in the UK and then were told that we'd have to wait until the embassy in London was contacted to see if we had in fact already applied. I think we had about 6 visits to the local Verwaltung before we received her passport. As someone said, if she was Syrian, she'd probably have been given one without the fuss.

1 minute ago, French bean said:

As someone said, if she was Syrian, she'd probably have been given one without the fuss.

That's nonsense.

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

Why is it nonsense ?

No-one is giving preference to Syrian children when it comes to dishing out passports.

Unless you can point to evidence to the contrary?

Just now, Eric7 said:

No-one is giving preference to Syrian children when it comes to dishing out passports.

Unless you can point to evidence to the contrary?

You said it was nonsense. I am waiting for your evidence to suggest it was in fact nonsense.

3 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You said it was nonsense. I am waiting for your evidence to suggest it was in fact nonsense.

So you want me to point to evidence of something not happening?

How does that work?