Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,815 posts in this topic

So to speed up the naturalization process, I am going to have my daughter move to someplace other than the places listed here, since they are UK hotspots:

 

All of Bezirk Pankow

Friedrichshain

Kreuzberg

Mitte

Charlottenburg

Wilmersdorf

Westend

 

Am I missing anything? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're mad trying to second guess the system like that. I don't believe for a moment for example that John B's application was dealt with in chronological order. It's just too fast (congratulations John). His application was fast tracked based on positive factors in his favour beyond his address. There's no guarantee whatsoever even if she lived next door to John that she'd be naturalised as quickly.

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point taken, but she wants to live on her own after the summer, so I am going to make sure she moves out of Pankow, since it is obviously swamped with Brexit-related naturalizations of UK citizens. Maybe Reinickendorf, since that was in the French sector.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, murphaph said:

I don't believe for a moment for example that John B's application was dealt with in chronological order. It's just too fast (congratulations John). His application was fast tracked based on positive factors in his favour beyond his address.

 

Is there really fast-tracking? I have my documents-handover appointment in 3 weeks and was wondering whether I should ask if a fast-track would be in any way possible. I've got (what I think is) a good argument for getting fast-tracked.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek said:

 

Is there really fast-tracking? I have my documents-handover appointment in 3 weeks and was wondering whether I should ask if a fast-track would be in any way possible. I've got (what I think is) a good argument for getting fast-tracked.

 

What's the rush? 3 weeks? Some people wait a year. Relax, do you really think there will be a no deal Brexit by end of may (the month, not the person. No pun intended).

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zwiebelfisch said:

 

What's the rush? 3 weeks? Some people wait a year. Relax, do you really think there will be a no deal Brexit by end of may (the month, not the person. No pun intended).

 

 

In 3 weeks is only my documents-handover appointment. As mentioned in this thread it can take a long time to get approved after that. There's every chance of there being a no deal brexit between my handover and getting approved. I'm optimistic it'll be sorted before the end of October, but it's certainly not a sure thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Derek said:

 

In 3 weeks is only my documents-handover appointment. As mentioned in this thread it can take a long time to get approved after that. There's every chance of there being a no deal brexit between my handover and getting approved. I'm optimistic it'll be sorted before the end of October, but it's certainly not a sure thing.

 

Maybe you could list the people you think you should queue jump ahead of?

 

Americans? Screw them right, they dont get dual nationality anyway so surely you can get in front of them. Same for most Africans, asians, well everyone really. Why can't us brits just get through without let or hindrance or whatever it is in out passports?

 

Dude, you are already getting pushed ahead in the queue. Germany is falling over itself to privilege you. Dont be a dick about it.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek said:

 

Is there really fast-tracking? I have my documents-handover appointment in 3 weeks and was wondering whether I should ask if a fast-track would be in any way possible. I've got (what I think is) a good argument for getting fast-tracked.

 

It doesn't cost anything to ask. Why not? I'm sure others have/do.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone submitted their citizenship application to a Bezirk in Berlin that they don't live in? Often the Bezirksamt will serve people from other districts for other matters. Depending on luck, it seems like that could either speed things up... or unnecessarily delay the process. But it is certainly not a crime to submit your application in the wrong district.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Maybe you could list the people you think you should queue jump ahead of?

59 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

 

 

Thanks. I'll try that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berlinexpatnine said:

Has anyone submitted their citizenship application to a Bezirk in Berlin that they don't live in? Often the Bezirksamt will serve people from other districts for other matters. Depending on luck, it seems like that could either speed things up... or unnecessarily delay the process. But it is certainly not a crime to submit your application in the wrong district.

 

Simply not possible. You have to submit in the Bezirk where you are registered. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning my speedy Einbürgerung: at no point did I enquire about "fast-tracking", and to enquire could possibly be interpreted the wrong way. I have already mentioned the friendly and efficient manner of the Beamtin who dealt with my case, but she made it clear from the very beginning that the process could take a long time and that there were no guarantees.

 

I have already listed the factors which I believe worked in my favour, but it's really a pot-luck system who handles your case. My only advice is to be efficient concerning the paperwork and work on improving your German.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding my comment about taking your application to a district other than where you are registered: I know such a thing shouldn't work, but the first rule of German bureaucracy I learned 30 years ago: If you don't like the answer you are being given, ask someone else. You could always state that you want to move to the other district in the future and that rather than having your application forwarded there, you went ahead and turned it into the new district, so couldn't they make an exception in your case? Likely you would be laughed out of the office, but I can name various experiences I have had with German bureaucrats who made something happen that would seem to be against their own rules.

 

Yes, all of it would be a crapshoot, but sometimes you are desperate. By the way, I am not interested in speedy citizenship because of Brexit, but for entirely other reasons that I consider actually direr. I'm not actually a UK citizen, and it seems like all UK citizens will likely get fair treatment after Brexit, such as quick granting of permanent residency for long-term residents, just as if they were from Australia, Canada, USA... That's just speculation, but Germans actually like the British and will bend over backward to make things easier for you... just as they do for all citizens of rich, English-speaking countries. If you look into it, you'll see that special favors are always done for this group of countries and that it is very easy to get permission to stay... unless you are destitute, and in that case, you probably have other things to worry about, such as how to pay the rent.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
23 minutes ago, Berlinexpatnine said:

you want to move to the other district in the future and that rather than having your application forwarded there, you went ahead and turned it into the new district

 

I don't think it works that way. In order to submit your application, you need an appointment to go in person. All documents you hand in for the application are checked and ticked off while you are there. Afaik, you can only get an appointment in the Bezirk you are registered in. They check online on the computer for your registration before dealing with you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that only two districts have online booking of Einbürgerung appointments, Pankow and someplace else, and that with the rest you had to make a request for an appointment directly in person at the Bezirksamt. It seems like you could assemble your entire packet and then go to any district and ask to either drop off documents / request an appointment to drop off documents with an agent. If they happened to neglect to check the location of your registration at that point, it seems like you might get processed in another district.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that may have changed. Flick through the Berlin pages - two offer online appointments, but for the others you send an email for the appointment, or make the appointment in person - but you can't hand in the documents without the appointment. They will ask you for your address at the reception where you ask for the appointment (maybe even for your Anmeldung) I didn't click through them all, so don't know if there are any walk-ins possible...but it is also clearly stated that you can only apply in the Bezirk you are registered in:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/318998/standort/324180/

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told explicitly that you can only apply in the Bezirk you are registered - no ifs, no buts.

 

You can of course go to a different Bürgeramt and try to persuade them why an exception should be made. Good luck!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Berlinexpatnine said:

the first rule of German bureaucracy I learned 30 years ago: If you don't like the answer you are being given, ask someone else

 

I experienced that too. When initially enquiring via email to the VHS about a B1 test many months ago I was told it would be 2-3 months to get a test but I could get on the waiting list for an earlier appointment. Rather than complete the conversation via email, I happened to pop into the VHS and arrange my B1 appointment in person but with a different beamte to the one I had emailed with. It was indeed 2-3 months out. I asked in person if I could also get on the waiting list for a cancelled appointment and was told "there is no waiting list".

 

When I got home, I continued my email thread (with a different person at the VHS) and said that I'd just made my appointment in person but if that offer of going on the waiting list was still available I'd like to take her up on that. A week later, the email lady phoned me and said we have a cancelled appointment available in 8 days time. I was both happy to get an earlier one (which I accepted) but under pressure to do two months of practicing into a week.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "fast" Bezirk might accidentally even accept your documents submission and throw it on the pile only to forward it to the correct Bezirk when they actually go to process it and then you'd start again at square one. 

 

There's no point trying to game the system in this way. It could easily take longer in the end.

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ruapehu said:

I don't think it works that way. In order to submit your application, you need an appointment to go in person. All documents you hand in for the application are checked and ticked off while you are there.

 

Depending on where you live, you can also have an appointment to discuss what you personally need to submit then simply send all the documents required by post.

 

It does not seem to work consistently any way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now