Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,815 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, LeCheese said:

Cannot see it happening myself but who knows?

Why not?  its what most MPs want.  The only issue is that it goes against the referendum, but if its sold as "not the end just an emergency measure, we can leave later" then in principle it should pass.

The main question to me is who is behind it, if its a couple of rando wonks from a minor party then its dead, but if any names get behingd it id expect it to pass.  I cant work out from the graun who it is other than "remainers".

15 hours ago, SusieT said:

I have given up on getting citizenship as I have been working like crazy to try and get up to exam standard, but still have huge problems and its not worth me keep stressing about getting the B1, so I am getting an appointment to get residency as that is achievable with a lower standard. I have both the German exam and the einburgerungstest booked, so with the delay I may get both results back in time. I really should have done the einburgerungstest earlier, but it is at least booked now. 

14 hours ago, SusieT said:

I am going in to the amt when I am in town and asking a few questions 

Rather than going in there resigned to the fact that you can only apply for residency, it's worth asking if they'll consider your citizenship (dual or not dual) without the certificate. If you're having a flowing German conversation and you find the right beamter in the right burgeramt, based on anecdotes in this thread, it's entirely possible they might let that requirement go. They might write something like "no German certificate but is clearly able to converse in German without problem" on your application form. Worth a try.

22 minutes ago, Derek said:

Rather than going in there resigned to the fact that you can only apply for residency, it's worth asking if they'll consider your citizenship (dual or not dual) without the certificate. If you're having a flowing German conversation and you find the right beamter in the right burgeramt, based on anecdotes in this thread, it's entirely possible they might let that requirement go. They might write something like "no German certificate but is clearly able to converse in German without problem" on your application form. Worth a try.

Thanks for that, sadly there is only one person at the Kreishaus for my area that deals with citizenship, and she flicked through the paperwork, found no B1 and said I needed it, no other option, That is why I am going for residency, if there was another person, or if I could get a temporary address somewhere more helpful I would go elsewhere, but with just the one person it is not easy - unless I can find out when she is on holiday!

6 hours ago, SusieT said:

Thanks for that, sadly there is only one person at the Kreishaus for my area that deals with citizenship, and she flicked through the paperwork, found no B1 and said I needed it, no other option, That is why I am going for residency, if there was another person, or if I could get a temporary address somewhere more helpful I would go elsewhere, but with just the one person it is not easy - unless I can find out when she is on holiday!

Yeah, on my unplanned visit to the Burgeramt I was told the same thing. Those are the rules. It makes you wonder how/why some of the other Beamters/Burgeramts are letting it slide. Maybe it's within their powers to be flexbile but only if they really want it. If you're living in a town/city with a slowly declining population they might be willing to bend the rules to hold onto some upstanding tax-paying residents, whereas in one that's increasing beyond the rate they're able to provide housing, they think the opposite and are glad of those rules. Who knows. I doubt anyone who knows how things work in those departments would frequent Toytown :(

I think it does depend a lot on where you are and who you speak to. I read that some places (Hamburg is one), can set their own rules for parts of the immigration act, provided the comply with 3 or 4 parts of it, so that may explain some of the differences. The act (or at least the bits I read) does not actually say that a certificate is needed, and appears to just say that that is the standard, so I am guessing that some places are taking a flexible approach and working on the basis of if you can talk to them in German and can understand what they are saying, and you are not having problems introducing yourself or speaking no German at all then with the deadline forcing us to take citizenship earlier than we would have liked they are being a bit more lenient. 

Simple question that may belong to the "Too afraid to ask" thread.  My citizenship application requires my birth certificate translated. Where do I go for that?

2 minutes ago, rodisi said:

Simple question that may belong to the "Too afraid to ask" thread.  My citizenship application requires my birth certificate translated. Where do I go for that?

I used red tape translation a couple of weeks ago, very fast, and efficient. They have a thread at the top of I think this forum :) 

3 minutes ago, rodisi said:

There are online services which do this.

I used   https://www.lingoking.com/

Make sure that you get one with "Beglaubigung", as this authenticates also the certificate and can only be done by authorised translators.  This is required for official documents such as birth certificates in Germany.

On 3/23/2019, 6:42:10, SusieT said:

Good luck with it, I have given up on getting citizenship as I have been working like crazy to try and get up to exam standard, but still have huge problems and its not worth me keep stressing about getting the B1, so I am getting an appointment to get residency as that is achievable with a lower standard. I have both the German exam and the einburgerungstest booked, so with the delay I may get both results back in time. I really should have done the einburgerungstest earlier, but it is at least booked now. 

With the no-deal brexit looking increasingly unlikely, with both sides of the house of commons saying they don't want it, that would give you (and me) a lot more time to get our dual-citizenship through. Remember that once they've officially "left" the EU, they're still technically inside for the duration of the transition period (a year and a half or so). That's how I understand it and have read in many places.

On 27.3.2019, 13:05:13, Derek said:

With the no-deal brexit looking increasingly unlikely, with both sides of the house of commons saying they don't want it,

Thats news to the EU, It's no deal by default seeing as the house of commons is  unable agree on anything. They can state that they do not want No deal until the cows come home - until they actually decide on an alternative that is acceptable to the EU ( good luck with that ), the UK  is out next month.

and the current state of affairs in the UK ( from the Guardian )

• May is holding the vote tomorrow because she wants to protect the article 50 extension until 22 May agreed by the EU. That is dependent on MPs voting for the withdrawal agreement by the end of tomorrow. But to win the vote she faces an uphill struggle - particularly since the DUP have just said they will vote against (see 6pm) - and if the vote is lost, then the UK will be heading for no-deal on 12 April - unless it revokes article 50, gets the EU to agree a long extension conditional on the UK holding European election, or passes the deal before 12 April and persuades the EU to agree another very short extension.

2 hours ago, LeCheese said:

Thats news to the EU, It's no deal by default seeing as the house of commons is  unable agree on anything. They can state that they do not want No deal until the cows come home - until they actually decide on an alternative that is acceptable to the EU ( good luck with that ), the UK  is out next month.

So very true...

The Motto is:

"What do we want?" - "We Don't know"

"When do we want it?" - "2 years ago / today / 29th March / 12th April / 22 May / in 2 years / Never"

14 hours ago, HEM said:

The Motto is:

"What do we want?" - "We Don't know"

Isnt this the nature of a minority government?

Im not really a political scholar, but I always thought that this was exactly why minority government is usually considered a disaster?

If you ever need a translation for whatever purpose, do a search on the BDÜ website. You can find someone in your area. Generally, if the translator has to translate an official document, they will want to see the original. In fact, I think they HAVE to see the original in order to give the translation its official stamp.

https://bdue.de/en/bdue/

Look to the right of the web page - you can do a search.

2 minutes ago, nina_glyndwr said:

If you ever need a translation for whatever purpose, do a search on the BDÜ website. You can find someone in your area. Generally, if the translator has to translate an official document, they will want to see the original. In fact, I think they HAVE to see the original in order to give the translation its official stamp.

https://bdue.de/en/bdue/

Look to the right of the web page - you can do a search.

And /or contact the British embassy, they will supply you a list of translators approved by them ( or at least, they used to )

Never mind, found the list here

Has anybody had the Brexit interview yet?

Mine is booked for 2 weeks time, and I'm worried about it.

54 minutes ago, Brexitania said:

Has anybody had the Brexit interview yet?

Mine is booked for 2 weeks time, and I'm worried about it.

I haven't heard of anyone having interviews as most states seem to be waiting until Brexit actually happens before doing thing but I suppose with the amount of Brits in Berlin then they need to be pro-active. Can you update the thread at https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/382412-germany-all-laender-brexit-advice-for-resident-brits/

with the details of the interview once you have had it to let others know what happened?

Try not to worry too much as there's not really much you can do about it. It's not like a job interview where you can research the company background and think of possible questions they may ask and the answers you will give. Presumably it will just be about your circumstances i.e. how long you have lived in Germany, whether you have a job, amount you earn, etc.