Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,848 posts in this topic

So, some people were unable to vote, fair enough.

I think you are incredibly naive if you believe an online petition is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

7 hours ago, evildudette said:

I think you are incredibly naive if you believe an online petition is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

And maybe it's this attitude that means we now have Brexit because the Remain politicians couldn't believe that the country actually wanted to leave so didn't put as much effort into the Remain campaign as the Leaver campaign did and people who wanted to remain didn't think it was worth voting as it wouldn't be as close as it actually was.

If people ever think ‘it’s not worth voting’ in a parliamentary process and therefore don’t, then I don’t feel they have any right to bitch about the outcome. If you care about the result, you should have voted.

I care about the result and I was not allowed to vote, as has already been pointed out to you. Repeating things that are simply not correct doesn't make them right.

I haven’t said anything incorrect. I asked a question then gave a couple of opinions. Nothing to be correct or incorrect about. You, on the other hand, said “you didn’t get to vote”, which was incorrect as a general statement.

10 minutes ago, evildudette said:

You, on the other hand, said “you didn’t get to vote”, which was incorrect as a general statement.

I did not get to vote. That is a fact. You need to see a doctor.

Why?

Like I said, it is correct as a general statement, because in general people did get to vote. There is a small subset that was unable to. Saying ‘I did not get to vote’ in your specific case in not the same as saying ‘you did not get to vote’ either specifically or generally.

Where am I incorrect?

11 hours ago, evildudette said:

It costs nothing to sign it. Worth a try if one wants to remain.

6 hours ago, evildudette said:

Where am I incorrect?

People dont like being  told that their slacktivism wont change the world.

Let them sign their petition, and if/when Brexit is cancelled let them take the credit.  The truth is too hard for some people, let them lie to themselves.

I think for people who couldn't vote because of the 15 yr rule, these online petitions are a good thing because they get the opportunity to state their view. It is important to have that chance.  Whether they make any difference whatsoever is kind of irrelevant. 

17 hours ago, LeChamois said:

You didn't get to vote

an 'if' at the start of this would have prevented the spat - it looks like an assumption that every TTer was unable to vote, which is clearly not the intention.

On 3/22/2019, 9:54:10, warsteiner70 said:

Good luck @Derek, try not to worry too much and let us know how you got on.

Thanks. They think it's all over ... it is now :-)

As many have said, it wasn't as bad as you can build it up to be. If I have to give myself an estimate of what I'll get, I'd say Lesen: 90%+, Hören: 95%+, Schreiben: 60-85% (pretty sure it was good enough for a pass), and Sprechen: 80-95%.

I asked how long the results will take and she said there's a reasonable chance I could get it within 4 weeks, but it can take up to 8 weeks and I should be prepared for that.

I have my einbürgerungstest in the middle of April (no worries about that one) and have no idea how long that one will take to get marked.

As long as there isn't a no-deal brexit I've got no worries, the transition period will cover me for dual citizenship. With a no-deal brexit I've got as close to a zero chance as you can get. Lazy git me for only starting to think about this in January/February.

13 minutes ago, Derek said:

Thanks. They think it's all over ... it is now :-)

As many have said, it wasn't as bad as you can build it up to be. If I have to give myself an estimate of what I'll get, I'd say Lesen: 90%+, Hören: 95%+, Schreiben: 60-85% (pretty sure it was good enough for a pass), and Sprechen: 80-95%.

I asked how long the results will take and she said there's a reasonable chance I could get it within 4 weeks, but it can take up to 8 weeks and I should be prepared for that.

I have my einbürgerungstest in the middle of April (no worries about that one) and have no idea how long that one will take to get marked.

As long as there isn't a no-deal brexit I've got no worries, the transition period will cover me for dual citizenship. With a no-deal brexit I've got as close to a zero chance as you can get. Lazy git me for only starting to think about this in January/February.

Good luck with it, I have given up on getting citizenship as I have been working like crazy to try and get up to exam standard, but still have huge problems and its not worth me keep stressing about getting the B1, so I am getting an appointment to get residency as that is achievable with a lower standard. I have both the German exam and the einburgerungstest booked, so with the delay I may get both results back in time. I really should have done the einburgerungstest earlier, but it is at least booked now. 

33 minutes ago, SusieT said:

Good luck with it, I have given up on getting citizenship as I have been working like crazy to try and get up to exam standard, but still have huge problems and its not worth me keep stressing about getting the B1, so I am getting an appointment to get residency as that is achievable with a lower standard. 

Can u get residency before brexit day?

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Can u get residency before brexit day?

At the moment I have no idea, but I am going in to the amt when I am in town and asking a few questions, that will be one of them.  My logic is that currently it is not looking as if there will be an agreement, in which case the right to be here under EU freedom of movement will stop and if NE is given that will not run out therefore it is a more favorable status to have, and by the time the results arrive (assuming nothing else has changed) I should be able to get it. 

21 hours ago, evildudette said:

So, some people were unable to vote, fair enough.

Ermmmm

Pro-Remain MPs are drawing up plans for a vote on revoking article 50 as an emergency measure to stop Britain crashing out of the EU, after an online petition to cancel Brexit became the most popular ever.

Cannot see it happening myself but who knows? After the complete mess of the last weeks ...

2 hours ago, LeCheese said:

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Not to mention the people who voted leave and have changed their minds. No reason for them not to sign the petition.

Why cant you two jokers go back to the other brexit thread? 

Why are u posting here?