Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,803 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Like?

The one we were given is that if you get into trouble in GB, the Germans will not help you out, and vice-versa. She also said that given which countries we are now citizens of, it isn't a big deal.

Kid#1 cannot follow her PPE friends into the civil service with dual citizenship and I will not be able to teach in the one remaining British school up here for the same reason. These are things we knew and weighed up beforehand.

9 minutes ago, kiplette said:

The one we were given is that if you get into trouble in GB, the Germans will not help you out, and vice-versa. She also said that given which countries we are now citizens of, it isn't a big deal.

Kid#1 cannot follow her PPE friends into the civil service with dual citizenship and I will not be able to teach in the one remaining British school up here for the same reason. These are things we knew and weighed up beforehand.

Ah, understood. I don’t feel particularly disadvantaged, quite the opposite.

I was all like oh no I am German what should I been feeling/thinking. Two people now have told me I am German with Migration Background, big difference to German, so I guess no need to give up Shepherds pie etc.

13 minutes ago, black1 said:

I was all like oh no I am German what should I been feeling/thinking. Two people now have told me I am German with Migration Background, big difference to German, so I guess no need to give up Shepherds pie etc.

Not legally.

one small difference might be, not having born here, we lose the perceived right to complain quite as much.

33 minutes ago, black1 said:

when expressing an interest in becoming "German" (ie via citizenship) one woman looked at me with a mix of horror and pity and said "you can NEVER be German"

whatever. fuck em.

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

when expressing an interest in becoming "German" (ie via citizenship) one woman looked at me with a mix of horror and pity and said "you can NEVER be German"

whatever. fuck em.

That's when you say "I don't really want to be German, why would I?  I just want the effing passport"

On 16/03/2019, 09:23:01, Derek said:

Pretty concerned I'm gonna fail this B1. I wonder what would happen if I got my results back and it said I failed and only averaged 58% for example. If I could take that to the Bürgeramt and say "look, I was very close to passing" and if they'd say "alright, that's good enough". Highly unlikely they would. Anyone here fail the B1 ? It's way trickier than I thought it would be.

I did my Goethe-Institut B1 yesterday and got through it. You are certified for each module that you pass, so if you fail Hören then you get 3 other certificates. If you pass all, you get a certificate which is equivalent to 4 certificates. I'm not sure of what the situation is with the Bürgeramt, if you can be accepted with 3 of 4 certificates, or have to retake before submitting your documents.

It's very much at the discretion of the person dealing with your case.

The legal requirement is that you satisfy them that you have "Sufficient command of the German language", and the 'StAG' nationality act doesn't define what 'Sufficient' means.

However the residence act does define it. It states " Sufficient command of the German language corresponds to Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. "

So if you have B1 you have a water-tight argument to persuade your caseworker that you have sufficient command. of the language If you don't have that certificate, it's still possible that they will accept what you have.

From people posting here about their applications, I get the feeling that many of the people processing applications are sympathetic and willing to take a liberal interpretation of the rules, so I would take what you have and see what you can get.

Worst case they say no, come back when you pass. Best case you get it all sorted.

Can anyone share how long it takes to receive the results of the Einbürgerungstest? Is it the same day like Goethe-Institut, or do you have to wait for results via post? 

Depends where you sit it, but in Bremen it wasn't same day. Several people have posted their timelines on this thread, take a look and see if you can find a Munich success story.

Citizenship Test results took 6 weeks to arrive, here in Frankfurt. Correct me if I am wrong but they all come from BAMF in Nuremberg don’t they?

6 minutes ago, Billybulldog said:

Citizenship Test results took 6 weeks to arrive, here in Frankfurt. Correct me if I am wrong but they all come from BAMF in Nuremberg don’t they?

I don't know if there is more than one centre nationally, but certainly it is not done locally.

They normally say 4 - 6 weeks.  Mine took 5 weeks.

1 hour ago, Dangeross said:

Can anyone share how long it takes to receive the results of the Einbürgerungstest? Is it the same day like Goethe-Institut, or do you have to wait for results via post? 

Mine arrived after 8 days, seems like everything else to do with the process there can be big differences between how long each step takes (and even if they are all needed).

Mine also took eight days, but it came out of Karlsruhe.

11 hours ago, Dangeross said:

I waited about 3 weeks in Munich, you get the certificate by post.

On 16/03/2019, 09:23:01, Derek said:

Pretty concerned I'm gonna fail this B1. I wonder what would happen if I got my results back and it said I failed and only averaged 58% for example. If I could take that to the Bürgeramt and say "look, I was very close to passing" and if they'd say "alright, that's good enough". Highly unlikely they would. Anyone here fail the B1 ? It's way trickier than I thought it would be.

The KVR accept this as well and you're entitled to do this exam, it's a lot easier than standard B1!

https://www.telc.net/pruefungsteilnehmende/sprachpruefungen/pruefungen/detail/deutsch-test-fuer-zuwanderer-a2b1.html

10 hours ago, Lazyitis said:

The KVR accept this as well and you're entitled to do this exam, it's a lot easier than standard B1!

https://www.telc.net/pruefungsteilnehmende/sprachpruefungen/pruefungen/detail/deutsch-test-fuer-zuwanderer-a2b1.html

Thanks. I've bookmarked the registration page for this test at my local VHS. If I fail the B1 I'll try registering for that. I might end up getting 3 B1 certificates (e.g. Hören, Lesen, Sprachen) and one A2 certificate for Schreiben. I'll be practicing my butt off trying to improve my Schreiben though.