Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,627 posts in this topic

from the BMI website:

Legal clarity for the transitional period

In the bill adopted today, the German government regulates this transitional period for Germany. The bill embraces two principal elements.

• Under German law, for the duration of the transitional period, the United Kingdom will be treated as a member state of the European Union.
  • The legal position on citizenship will also remain unchanged until the end of 2020: British and German nationals applying for naturalisation in Germany and in the UK respectively during the transitional period will be able to retain their original citizenship alongside the new citizenship – even if the decision on naturalisation is not taken until after the end of the transitional period.

14 minutes ago, dom said:

from the BMI website:

Legal clarity for the transitional period

In the bill adopted today, the German government regulates this transitional period for Germany. The bill embraces two principal elements.

• Under German law, for the duration of the transitional period, the United Kingdom will be treated as a member state of the European Union.
  • The legal position on citizenship will also remain unchanged until the end of 2020: British and German nationals applying for naturalisation in Germany and in the UK respectively during the transitional period will be able to retain their original citizenship alongside the new citizenship – even if the decision on naturalisation is not taken until after the end of the transitional period.

Do I read that correctly that it says you will always be able to apply for dual citizenship, even after the transitional period (2021+)? I guess this relies on the Withdrawal Agreement being approved?

I was just talking to someone today whose brother is a British citizen.  He told me that his brother received a letter stating that Germany would allow him dual citizenship as long as the UK would allow it too and about possibilities of applying for different permits to stay in case he doesn't go for citizenship so it doesn't seem like Germany is in any hurry to kick you guys out.

Just doing my B1 practice and wondered about the timing. In the "Lesen" section for example, it (the Goethe practice PDF) says that the total for the Lesen section is 65 minutes, and it breaks down into 10 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins, etc. I wondered whether they're just being helpful with those times and to treat them as useful milestone times to help you pace yourself for the entire Lesen section, or if somehow you have to complete them all in the time allocated (e.g. they come along and take away the text from section 1A after 10 minutes and give you the text for 1B. I'm assuming it's not this strict and that if you struggle on section 1A and spend 20 minutes on it, you could in theory recover your lost time on another section that you find particularly easy.

Also, is it like with the einbürgerungtests (where they choose 33 questions to ask you from a total of 310 and you have to get 17 right) as in there are multiple question sets and you might get any random one on the day? For example, row 1 in the exam room might get set A, row 2 get set C etc. It would be good to have multiple practice tests to try. I've only got one currently (from Goethe).

Pretty concerned I'm gonna fail this B1. I wonder what would happen if I got my results back and it said I failed and only averaged 58% for example. If I could take that to the Bürgeramt and say "look, I was very close to passing" and if they'd say "alright, that's good enough". Highly unlikely they would. Anyone here fail the B1 ? It's way trickier than I thought it would be.

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Oops. Sorry folks, I hadn't thought to look for a thread focusing on just the B1 experience.

Look for a training session for the Language Test. I went to one on the other side of Berlin and it was very good, I had no problems doing it. I didn't even have to do the B1 test in the end, I got 100% on the citizenship test (Smartphone app test 3 times a day and got addicted to taking it) and they let the language test slide.

On 12.3.2019, 17:40:14, Dangeross said:

Do I read that correctly that it says you will always be able to apply for dual citizenship, even after the transitional period (2021+)?

Everyone can apply for dual citizenship. But after Brexit (and possibly the transitional period) you would need special reasons like e.g. Americans applying for dual citizenship.

On 15/03/2019, 21:12:58, Derek said:

Just doing my B1 practice and wondered about the timing. In the "Lesen" section for example, it (the Goethe practice PDF) says that the total for the Lesen section is 65 minutes, and it breaks down into 10 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins, etc. I wondered whether they're just being helpful with those times and to treat them as useful milestone times to help you pace yourself for the entire Lesen section, or if somehow you have to complete them all in the time allocated (e.g. they come along and take away the text from section 1A after 10 minutes and give you the text for 1B. I'm assuming it's not this strict and that if you struggle on section 1A and spend 20 minutes on it, you could in theory recover your lost time on another section that you find particularly easy.

Also, is it like with the einbürgerungtests (where they choose 33 questions to ask you from a total of 310 and you have to get 17 right) as in there are multiple question sets and you might get any random one on the day? For example, row 1 in the exam room might get set A, row 2 get set C etc. It would be good to have multiple practice tests to try. I've only got one currently (from Goethe).

If I remember correctly, you get 65 mins for the whole thing. The section times are just a guide. The listening however is a different beast. That you need to keep up with.

For the Einbürgerungstest you can find all the questions on the BAMF page:

http://www.bamf.de/DE/Willkommen/Einbuergerung/OnlineTestcenter/online-testcenter-node.html

Click the link on the right hand side "Interaktiver Fragenkatalog Einbürgerungstest"

There is also a very good app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kulana.quiz.einbuergerungstestde&hl=en_US

The answers are always the same and in the same order. I did lots of practice and barely had to read the questions and answers anymore.

On 16/03/2019, 09:23:01, Derek said:

Pretty concerned I'm gonna fail this B1. I wonder what would happen if I got my results back and it said I failed and only averaged 58% for example. If I could take that to the Bürgeramt and say "look, I was very close to passing" and if they'd say "alright, that's good enough". Highly unlikely they would. Anyone here fail the B1 ? It's way trickier than I thought it would be.

I definitely recommend going to a Vorbereitung course. I went to one in Munich. VHS. Seems to be called "Kompakttraining" now.

I got there and she said 'Now you have some forms to sign, I bet you're surprised about that right?'.

I wasn't expecting her to go through all my rights and obligations as a citizen and we discussed all various potential conflicts when being a dual citizen, it was actually really interesting.

1 hour ago, evildudette said:

Picked up my Urkunde this morning. So exciting! :D

Not really related to your post:  I just wanted to say that I think your username is absolutely brilliant.  Great choice!

24 minutes ago, evildudette said:

I got there and she said 'Now you have some forms to sign, I bet you're surprised about that right?'.

I wasn't expecting her to go through all my rights and obligations as a citizen and we discussed all various potential conflicts when being a dual citizen, it was actually really interesting.

Curious how long the entire process took from your initial application...

Sure:

April 2018: Initial appointment to see how to approach it as I wouldn't hit 8 years until start of 2019. They told me to apply but that they couldn't issue it until then at the earliest.

21st June: Planned hand-in appointment. Beamtin was sick so I was given her next available appointment.

1st October: Handed everything in.

5th Feb 2019: Hit 8 years in Germany in terms of documentation

15th Feb: Told I'm been approved and asking to collect 19th Feb. Not possible as I was out of the country until last week.

19th March: Collect Urkunde.

I was told at every step of the process not to expect to get through in time.

3 minutes ago, evildudette said:

I was told at every step of the process not to expect to get through in time.

Congratulations on reaching the finishing line. I'm sure they all issue the same warning to all applicants so that no-one can complain afterwards.