Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,803 posts in this topic

Oh, and how is coming on and saying

1 hour ago, longch said:

But I do think some of you should have started your citizenship application in 2016, 2017 or even 2018. Why leaving the erste Beratung to the eleventh hour?

not a 'Negative Nancy' thing to do? I mean, no shit, Sherlock, of course people should have done it all earlier, but what possible good comes from writing such a post? - folk can't go back in time and make a different decision, can they?

100% with RF on this one - if this newbie has literally signed up to kick people in the teeth, then there were better uses for those 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, kiplette said:

this newbie

*ahem* 'this newbie' joined TT in January 2015

just sayin'

Albeit I do agree with the point you made!

Rubbing their noses in the obvious is of no value or benefit to anyone affected.

2B

:lol: - just saw the one post and assumed. That's a whole lot worse - 4 years leading up to this post. Ouch. 

Actually I agree with the poster @longch. It's common sense. I value my British citizenship so much (it's a part of my identity) that I got active as soon as I heard of talk of a possible referendum and because I knew I was never going back to Britain to live for various reasons - mainly my age and family here. I'm 72. I also kicked my son and daughter to get the process started at the same time as they weren't really aware of the implications. Maybe the age difference plays a role. Growing up I heard so many stories from my German side of the family of the upheavals due to the war, it's aftermaths and political decisions that I knew it would be stupid to let this golden chance of dual citizenship pass while it was still possible.

9 hours ago, longch said:

Sorry, I don't mean to add fuel to the fire. But I do think some of you should have started your citizenship application in 2016, 2017 or even 2018. Why leaving the erste Beratung to the eleventh hour?

Sure, you're right. I think personally I put a bit too much faith in the political process and expected I would have until Dec 2020, which is now not looking very likely. It's not an excuse, but I also founded a company in 2016 which has been taking 50+ hours of my week to keep it sustainable. I realised towards the end of 2018 that a no-deal was looking more likely so switched priorities. In that time I've been struggling to get my German up to a B1 level, keep my company afloat and book/practice for exams. I realise its been a futile attempt with no-deal looming now.

I'm also with @longch on this. It didn't need to be necessarily said out loud, but now that is has, I'm happy to agree with the sentiment. I don't know many Brits here, but all of the ones I do know, and who are eligible, have eventually gone through the process.

I dragged my feet for a year or so, but eventually I took some days off work and went down to the KVR, signed up to a B1 course, did the Einbürgerungs test, wrote a Lebenslauf blah blah blah. It was shit. I took time and money. And I don't want to be German.

But life's a bitch sometimes. Pissing and moaning wasn't going to help. I'm annoyed at the British people (especially my family members) who voted for Brexit. But whatever, it's their right. I'm more annoyed at cunts like Farage, Fox, Johnson etc for lying to people during the campaign. And even more annoyed at the cunty politicians for ballsing it all up now.

But, unfortunately, for once in my life, I cannot blame the Germans in any of this. Brits will fall to regular old non-EU status. End off. They owe us nothing else. For what it's worth, I think they have been good about it all (fastracking Brit applications, sending out letters etc). But ultimately it's up to us to sort out the mess that our country has left us in.

Most of the British people I know here have already done something about getting a German passport, but I have 3 friends who I’ve known since I came here and who are sailing through this with their eyes closed, their hands over their ears, singing la la la la.

All three of them are well educated ladies, they all worked in various banks in Frankfurt and 2 are now retired.  They love to travel, especially to Spain, in fact, the 2 retirees are there as we speak.  They refuse to read anything about Brexit and have stopped posting on Facebook because they don’t want to see all the negativity there.  So, if these 3 are doing it, I suspect there are more out there – I hope it works out for them!

51 minutes ago, bramble said:

Actually I agree with the poster @longch. It's common sense.

That is what is meant by 'no shit, Sherlock' - obviously the basic point is correct - but do you actually think that there is a point to coming on and saying it? Why? How does that help?

Which is basically what I wrote above - but that is obvious.

7 minutes ago, kiplette said:

That is what is meant by 'no shit, Sherlock' - obviously the basic point is correct - but do you actually think that there is a point to coming on and saying it? Why? How does that help?

Not every post has to be helpful I guess...we didn't exactly help this guy sell his mouse.

9 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Which is basically what I wrote above - but that is obvious.

It's simply an opinion, which I share. I've been helpful on various Brexit threads, but I have also felt frustration as Brexit nears that people have been leaving it so late. I just didn't voice it. 

9 minutes ago, theGman said:

Not every post has to be helpful I guess...we didn't exactly help this guy sell his mouse.

Indeed, there are plenty of posts dotted all over TT that are not helpful. 

1 minute ago, theGman said:

Oh, that was comedy gold - not since 'shelf' was there a selling thread so brilliant. If he doesn't sell it now, there is no justice :lol:

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

It's simply an opinion, which I share.

No, at this point, it is not 'simply' an opinion, it is now basically too late for these people to do anything. So why? Further grind down the people who really messed up? I think it is unkind, and I suspect that is the basic difference.

5 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Oh, that was comedy gold - not since 'shelf' was there a selling thread so brilliant. If he doesn't sell it now, there is no justice :lol:

No, at this point, it is not 'simply' an opinion, it is now basically too late for these people to do anything. So why? Further grind down the people who really messed up? I think it is unkind, and I suspect that is the basic difference.

You're also entitled to your opinion. 

Guilty of all charges in the last 10 posts! <looks for a holding my hands up smiley>

I certainly wouldn't say panic ever entered my thought process though. I was pushed into applying by my Gerfrau. My thoughts all along were that they're not exactly gonna kick me out. I can apply for permanent residence and that'll be fine. It was only at the point where I heard that the UK driving licence might no longer be valid (because I live here) that I thought f**k it I'll apply for the dual citizenship. I would have done it earlier but it's such a hassle (application forms, tests, visits to various amts, meetings, costs). As for dual citizenship, yes of course we can regain British citizenship if/when we want to, but guess what that would involve ... all the things we have to do here except for the language test.

9 minutes ago, Derek said:

My thoughts all along were that they're not exactly gonna kick me out. I can apply for permanent residence and that'll be fine.

It will. But you need to be active unfortunately. I would argue only minimally active, but it's no more easy EU ride for us Brits.

It was only at the point where I heard that the UK driving licence might no longer be valid (because I live here) that I thought f**k it I'll apply for the dual citizenship.

Erm, assuming you have a UK photo card license then that was/is going to be an issue irregardless of Brexit. Photo card licenses are only valid 10 years and technically you have to be resident in the UK to get a new one. I had to swap my license to a German one back in 2013.

I would have done it earlier but it's such a hassle (application forms, tests, visits to various amts, meetings, costs).

Yep, it is a damn pain in the arse. I am hella annoyed I had to do it.

As for dual citizenship, yes of course we can regain British citizenship if/when we want to, but guess what that would involve ... all the things we have to do here except for the language test.

If it came to it, and I had to decide, I would stay British. No way would I give that up to get German citizenship. Not worth it.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

But, unfortunately, for once in my life, I cannot blame the Germans in any of this. Brits will fall to regular old non-EU status. End off. They owe us nothing else. For what it's worth, I think they have been good about it all (fastracking Brit applications, sending out letters etc). But ultimately it's up to us to sort out the mess that our country has left us in.

Brits in Germany is not a UK problem. The mess is ultimately caused the by the UK decision to leave but at the end of the day the German Government has done nothing to guarantee the rights of Brits in Germany.

The mess and the status of Brits here is purely down to the German Government.

9 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Brits in Germany is not a UK problem.

Yes it is. We're British citizens, no matter where in the world we are. That's the main reason why embassies exist.

The mess is ultimately caused the by the UK decision to leave

Correct

but at the end of the day the German Government has done nothing to guarantee the rights of Brits in Germany.

Doesn't have too. It shouldn't either. Americans don't have a guarantee of the right to stay either.

I have literally no idea what you mean. What mess? You're still here aren't you? The status is that you are currently an EU citizen. The status after Brexit is that you won't be.

3 minutes ago, theGman said:

Yes it is. We're British citizens, no matter where in the world we are. That's the main reason why embassies exist.

No matter what you think, the UK can not guarantee the rights of its citizens in Germany.

How you never knew this is remarkable.

30 minutes ago, theGman said:

If it came to it, and I had to decide, I would stay British. No way would I give that up to get German citizenship. Not worth it.

I would have struggled with that too. My husband, whose residency was broken and who is not eligible, would take German citizenship as soon as he could and blow the British.

45 minutes ago, Derek said:

I can apply for permanent residence and that'll be fine.

That looked harder when I was considering the options. Can't remember why, now, but it looked like more effort for less outcome, if you get what I mean.

How far on are you with it now, Derek? Sorry - you have no doubt posted about it before but I forget.

36 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Brits in Germany is not a UK problem. The mess is ultimately caused the by the UK decision to leave but at the end of the day the German Government has done nothing to guarantee the rights of Brits in Germany.

Do you know whether the Brits in other EU countries will be getting special status? I hardly think so.