Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,803 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

To get German citizenship will take months, May will trigger Article50 by March. After Article50 is triggered I suspect that will be it and if you don`t have German citizenship by then you will possibly have to give up your British passport. I suspect the key date will be when May triggers Article 50 and not the end of the 2 year period.

 

The transitional deal could also go on for donkey years.

The key date will be the date the UK ceases to be a member state of the European Union and not a day before, so probably just over 2 years from now. There's no need to panic but if I was British I would gather my documents and apply in the coming weeks for German citizenship, even if I was slightly short of the 8 years as despite what British tabloids print about Germany, most Germans have a soft spot for the British and as there is a little room for manoeuvre on their side, I would expect in most cases that no roadblocks will be put in the way of a "pro-EU Brit" who has made their life here. It will take months before they actually consider the application anyway, so I would not wait until 8 years have elapsed if it's close enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently read his Article.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/16/eu-citizens-in-uk-could-face-deliberate-hostility-policy-after-brexit

 

He says non-EU citizens seeking to secure the right of permanent residency in the UK are already subjected to what he says is a “deliberate hostility policy” by the Home Office, where life is made so difficult it becomes near impossible or impossible to stay in the country.

The government has declared it would like to offer the 3 million EU citizens settled in the UK before the referendum the right to remain but it has left the threat hanging in the air by declaring those rights “negotiating capital” in Brexit talks.

 

I have also heard stories that those trying to get British passports are also subject to the same hostile policy. Why would the UK government make it difficult for EU citizens to get British passports ?

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the Home Office have always been shit in comparison with German legal immigration. Honestly, even the Dutch were comparatively easy. The developed Anglo countries tend to be especially pain-in-the-assy with their red tape and transparency. OF COURSE the Home Office are being shit about this. They didn't have much further to go from where they have generally been, even with respect to EU citizens and their family members.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theGman said:

 

Do you know if there are any maximum time constraints on these? i.e the citizenship test cannot have been taken longer than 6 months before the application. If not I would go ahead and do the language test, citizenship test and birth certificate now.

The language test is valid if you have one, however not every B1 will do. It has to be one from a certain system (so a Berlitz one is not enough).

I know that Goethe and the VHS do them, Just call and say you need it for a citizenship application, they will know which one it is. Test is split in to 4 parts, Talking, reading, listening and writing. Link to the Goethe site in DD with practice tests;

 

http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/gzb/mat/de11108519.htm

Only this type of test is valid. Berlitz tried to sell me a test to see if I could pass the other test. A prep test, which seems like a good idea, if practice tests were not on the internet.

 

The citizenship test is the same, as far as I know. It wasn't something I asked. You do not need the certificate for the start of the process (when you give over all the documents you need) but you need it before they will ok your application.

 

My advice is get it all done now. The tests can take a while to get (open places) and Goethe are charging I think 190. VHS will be cheaper but you may have to wait a month of two which is not good for the application as you need the B1 before they will start.

The citizenship tests are also heavily booked by the VHS but you only need to have booked the test. The confirmation ed of registration and your receipt are enough.

Birth certificates from the UK, no idea how long that could take. Mine took around 2 weeks I think (this was in June last year). 

 

As I say, get it done now, if you can go in to the office with your certs already in the hand it can make a good impression. 

 

Also be warned, you will have to write a little life story, with a pen, on paper... I took the advice from someone on the Forum (I think it was Bramble) to also give them a print out (type it all out first...).

The more you do upfront the better for you and it causes them less work/paper hanging around. What they ask for can differ from person to person but anything you need from the UK will take the longest (I am assuming you are from the UK).

You could also make an appointment and tell them although your 8 years is only up in September, you would like to start the process if possible now. 

Make the appointment and go and see, you never know how long it will take the get an appointment. 

It could be 2 years from March before the UK steps out of the EU, could be a lot sooner depending on what May is after and who wins the next election. If UKIP win, then I think they may just say 'bye'...

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cb6dba said:


It could be 2 years from March before the UK steps out of the EU, could be a lot sooner depending on what May is after and who wins the next election. If UKIP win, then I think they may just say 'bye'...

 

 

If Le Pen wins in France then the EU will be finished (April/May 2017) and there will be no EU to negotiate with. The biggest threat to the EU is not Brexit but the French presidential election.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

 

If Le Pen wins in France then the EU will be finished (April/May 2017) and there will be no EU to negotiate with. The biggest threat to the EU is not Brexit but the French presidential election.

The biggest threat to EU are the people living with neighborhood mentality and thinking that my corner is stronger alone than the next corner. 

 

If EU collapses there is no point in pointing fingers, we have none to blame than ourselves

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theGman said:

I won't get my 8 years in Germany until this September. I will apply in any case and just see what happens. Worst case scenario is that at the end of the process I am asked to choose between British and German citizenship. Then I'll just stick with British (British state pension is worth more to me than German citizenship).

It should be noted the 8 years can be shortened in some cases. For example a completed integration course cuts the time down to 7 years. If you can show your German is better than demanded or have otherwise shown great "integration achievements" it may be cut down to 6 years. If your spouse is German it can even go down to 3 years!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping my fingers crossed for all you TT applicants, that all will go well, especially the dual citizenship bit. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sneaker said:

It should be noted the 8 years can be shortened in some cases. For example a completed integration course cuts the time down to 7 years. If you can show your German is better than demanded or have otherwise shown great "integration achievements" it may be cut down to 6 years. If your spouse is German it can even go down to 3 years!

 

My spouse is German but we only got married last year. I believe you have to be married for 2 years. I've been working for the full 7.5 years but other than it would be difficult to show any great "integration achievements" - unless drinking the local beer solidly for 7.5 years counts. I'll start the process and see what happens.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, theGman said:

 

My spouse is German but we only got married last year. I believe you have to be married for 2 years. I've been working for the full 7.5 years but other than it would be difficult to show any great "integration achievements" - unless drinking the local beer solidly for 7.5 years counts. I'll start the process and see what happens.

Go along and chat with them about it.

I can't speak for Munich, but in Dresden they are generally friendly (to be honest, about the most friendly service you get is in the Ampt building).

Never underestimate beer drinking as a plus - it is a shared cultural activity we have in common with the locals. I find it more useful as a conversation topic than football..

As a side note, look in to getting a residency permit (daueraufenthaltelaubnis) thing. They need pretty much the same stuff as citizenship and it takes a lot less time (shouldn't cost that much either). Can't say if that would help if the UK step out before your citizenship application is completed..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took the TELC B1, which is valid. In fact we took the Deutsch für Zuwanderer A2-B1 test, which allows for the same test to show different outcomes, cool idea, really. We got ours back last week, full marks for me, 3 more points than my husband. My elderly German learners wet themselves laughing on Tuesday when I told them. Not sure if the idea I passed or the fact I was 3 points up on Paps was the point of hilarity. Maybe if I get B2 I'll understand...

 

Next hurdle will be the einbürgerung. By the sounds of it, that needs got on with ASAP if there are queues etc. 

 

edit - AFAIK the TELC and the Goethe are the valid ones, don't know of any others. TELC is cheaper, someone I know was saying it's rather naff because they are aiming to pass you, whereas Goethe has higher standards, but a )he's a bit of an arse and b} who gives a toss anyway - we need the certificate for the Amt, not for any other reason. It's B1 for goodness sake, not a PhD.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

What would be the best starting point when considering the German citizenship? Would I go to the VHS or would the local Rathaus be more advisable? I have already done an integration course to B2 level a few years ago.

We have been here for 5 years now and married for 6 with 2 kids in school and kindergarten here, so we certainly have no plans to go back to UK in the foreseeable future.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, step62 said:

Hi Everyone,

What would be the best starting point when considering the German citizenship? Would I go to the VHS or would the local Rathaus be more advisable? I have already done an integration course to B2 level a few years ago.

We have been here for 5 years now and married for 6 with 2 kids in school and kindergarten here, so we certainly have no plans to go back to UK in the foreseeable future.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

 

 

http://www.stadt-koeln.de/service/produkt/einbuergerung-den-deutschen-staatsverband-1

 

You need to go for a Vorsprache (Consulation):

 

"Vor der Antragstellung empfiehlt sich eine Beratung beim Amt für öffentliche Ordnung, Sachgebiet Einbürgerungen. Um unnötige Wartezeiten für Beratungsgespräche zu vermeiden, empfehlen wir Ihnen, dienstags oder donnerstags zwischen 8 und 12 Uhr zu kommen.

Nach der Beratung erhalten Sie ein Merkblatt mit allen wichtigen Informationen und Unterlagen für die Antragstellung, sowie den Antragsvordruck.

Die Annahme des Einbürgerungsantrages erfolgt nach terminlicher Vereinbarung."

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, mine came through today, as of this morning I am officially a British/German citizen. Just have to wait for the ID and passport to come through and then it is all done.

 

I handed all my certs last year so it didn't take so long (although that will be on a case by case thing I expect). However I had pretty much all my stuff collected and it isn't that hard to check things in the UK from here.

 

As I said before, my advice to anyone considering this is to start.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Well, mine came through today, as of this morning I am officially a British/German citizen. Just have to wait for the ID and passport to come through and then it is all done.

 

I handed all my certs last year so it didn't take so long (although that will be on a case by case thing I expect). However I had pretty much all my stuff collected and it isn't that hard to check things in the UK from here.

 

As I said before, my advice to anyone considering this is to start.

 

Congratulations! How does it feel?

 

When you say you handed your certs "last year", when exactly do you mean? January 2016 or December 2016? I handed in my documents this week and they told me it will take between 6-12 months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congrats.! cb6dba - I started the process in November and only Monday had a letter from the Amt asking for a translation of my birth certificate..  dooh.!  I have the name etc. of an  official lady nearby but could you let us know about how much it costs.?  ta eversoo... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, locknut said:

congrats.! cb6dba - I started the process in November and only Monday had a letter from the Amt asking for a translation of my birth certificate..  dooh.!  I have the name etc. of an  official lady nearby but could you let us know about how much it costs.?  ta eversoo... 

That's strange. They should have pointed this out to you at the time you handed in your documents in November.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aries6 said:

That's strange. They should have pointed this out to you at the time you handed in your documents in November.

They told me at the very start how much I would eventually have to pay,,,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, locknut said:

congrats.! cb6dba - I started the process in November and only Monday had a letter from the Amt asking for a translation of my birth certificate..  dooh.!  I have the name etc. of an  official lady nearby but could you let us know about how much it costs.?  ta eversoo... 

I don't know if the cost is the same everywhere but they should have told you how much it will cost.

If you mean for the translation of the birth certificate, that will depend on who does it. I don't think there is a fixed price.

Try to get any documents they need as soon as they can. I don't think they even start checking until they have everything.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now