Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,803 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Does also say that in case of "no deal", those with double citizenship

will need to drop UK Passports if they want to keep their German one.

I think you got that wrong. What it says is that (application for) dual citizenship is no longer possible after a hard Brexit. I've got dual citizenshipt and won't have to give up my British citizenship to keep the German one.

Harter Brexit: Kein Recht mehr auf Doppelpass

Zudem dürften sie nach dem Brexit als sogenannte Drittstaatler ihren Pass aus der Heimat nicht behalten. Für sie gilt die Ausnahmeregelung für Menschen aus EU-Mitgliedsstaaten in Bezug auf die doppelte Staatsangehörigkeit dann nicht mehr.

Yes, as bramble says, those already with dual citizenship will not have to give up either in the case of no-deal - the only way German citizenship can be rescinded is in the case of obtaining a third citizenship, joining a foreign army or engaging in terrorist activities (and similar things)

21 hours ago, slammer said:

I have only low-rated Bureaucracy tolerance fuses installed

Better get those upgraded to the max if you intend to stay in Germany my friend.

4 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Better get those upgraded to the max if you intend to stay in Germany my friend.

I use heavy duty sawn-off crow-bars and they still glow in the dark.

I got my letter this morning confirming my Einbürgerungsurkunde thank God! I'm going to pick it up next week. 

Question is, do I need to get my Ausweisdokumente and Reisepass before the 29th March to keep dual British nationality? 

It's normally a nightmare in the KVR Munich and I'm travelling a lot in March so might not have time. 

Oh I first applied for my appointment in July 17, handed documents in Feb 18. In that time they lost my application and my Beamte changed so had to start the process again. 

Stressful is not the word!

Good luck to everyone in the process. 

1 hour ago, Lazyitis said:

I got my letter this morning confirming my Einbürgerungsurkunde

Therefore you don't need to worry as the UK is (still) in the EU and you are not required to give up another EU citizenship to become German - you retain your British nationality. 

On 3/1/2019, 11:02:43, john_b said:

Therefore you don't need to worry as the UK is (still) in the EU and you are not required to give up another EU citizenship to become German - you retain your British nationality. 

As one politician so unhelpfully reminded us, the certificate is the proof of nationality, not the ID card or passport. If you’v got the very you’re in, dual National already.

My letter says that I become German on the day the Urkunde is handed over, so as long as you pick that up before end of March you are fine.  I'm getting mine on Friday!

On 3/1/2019, 9:44:24, Lazyitis said:

I got my letter this morning confirming my Einbürgerungsurkunde thank God! I'm going to pick it up next week. 

Question is, do I need to get my Ausweisdokumente and Reisepass before the 29th March to keep dual British nationality? 

It's normally a nightmare in the KVR Munich and I'm travelling a lot in March so might not have time. 

Oh I first applied for my appointment in July 17, handed documents in Feb 18. In that time they lost my application and my Beamte changed so had to start the process again. 

Got my letter from the KVR (Munich) on Friday too! Only dropped my documents off mid-Dec so 2.5 months, am so happy. Just need to pay and pick up the certificate now :-)

On 01/03/2019, 21:44:24, Lazyitis said:

23 hours ago, sluzup said:

My letter says that I become German on the day the Urkunde is handed over, so as long as you pick that up before end of March you are fine.  I'm getting mine on Friday!

Exactly right.  

You are only German when you pick up the certificate as you have to "swear your allegiance" and sign.  The Certificate will then be stamped, signed and it is all official.  

So pick up it ASAP.

It will take ~2-3 weeks for the ID card to arrive, and ~4 - 6 weeks for the passport.

On 01/03/2019, 21:44:24, Lazyitis said:

Already been answered but you become German when you pick up the certificate. That's the moment. Getting the Ausweiss (or not) does not influence the citizenship process. But if you don't get an Ausweiss then (as a German) you can get done for it. But you are allowed a "reasonable" amount of time to organise it.

FYI you can now make an appointment online for any one of the 6 Munich Bürgerbüros to get the Ausweiss and Reisepass done. It's very easy now...finally. No more waiting.

On 28/02/2019, 14:15:19, Derek said:

I'd agree with that. I went on Monday and the woman I dealt with said that she wasn't sure about whether I'd manage to get dual citizenship or not with the deadline looming but she said that she had recorded the fact that I was there on that day (before the deadline) just in case the date I started the process (rather than when it ends) becomes a relevant factor.

I went for an advisory meeting this morning. I was given a list of documents I need to submit which includes B1 & Einbürgerungstest certificates. As I'm self-employed/company owner I need a bunch of tax/financial statements also. She told me these all need to be submitted before 30th March in case of a no-deal Brexit. In which I realised i'm screwed if there is a no-deal, because my Einbürgerungstest is on the 29th March and it takes several days to process :(

If there is a 'no-deal' Brexit then you are still not guaranteed to be screwed, although you will probably find it hard to get dual nationality. There is a German govt page with helpful stuff here:- https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-en/news/brexit-q-a-your-questions-answered-1569656

Most relevant bit for this thread is probably this:-

What happens if Britain leaves without a deal?
In the event of Britian leaving the EU without a deal no British citizen will be required to immediately leave Germany. The Federal Government is planning to implement a three-month transitional period, which may be extended. During this period all British citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement within the EU and their family members will be able to continue to live and work in Germany as before without a residence permit.

However, in order to be able to stay in the long term, all British citizens will be required, before the end of the transitional period, to apply to the competent foreigners' authority for a residence permit and, if they have not already done so, to register with the registration authority at their place of residence. They have permission to stay in Germany while their application is being processed. Some foreigners' authorities are already planning to introduce a voluntary registration/application process before 29 March 2019.

The Federal Ministry of the Interior provides wide-ranging information on its website which deals with various different scenarios. The British Embassy also regularly updates information for British citizens available on its website.

Please note that a disorderly Brexit may also have consequences for your social security cover (in particular pension and health insurance), especially if you are insured in the UK but living in Germany. Please contact your social security provider in good time to find out more.

4 hours ago, pappnase said:

If there is a 'no-deal' Brexit then you are still not guaranteed to be screwed, 

although the probability of being screwed does somehow increase significantly.

7 hours ago, Dangeross said:

I went for an advisory meeting this morning. I was given a list of documents I need to submit which includes B1 & Einbürgerungstest certificates. As I'm self-employed/company owner I need a bunch of tax/financial statements also. She told me these all need to be submitted before 30th March in case of a no-deal Brexit. In which I realised i'm screwed if there is a no-deal, because my Einbürgerungstest is on the 29th March and it takes several days to process :(

Yeah, a no-deal brexit on March 29th will make things bad for a lot of us. All of my tests and driving licence swap are in April and May so even a 3-month delay in the deadline (to end of June) might not be enough for me to complete in time. I'd need a deal-brexit to happen, in which case we have until December 2020 (end of the transition period) to get my applications completed.

It really seems like a no-deal brexit is near impossible though. They're only keeping it on the table for negotiation purposes. They know they'd FUBAR the country if they crashed out.

Sorry, I don't mean to add fuel to the fire. But I do think some of you should have started your citizenship application in 2016, 2017 or even 2018. Why leaving the erste Beratung to the eleventh hour? This creates unnecessary stress for the applicants themselves. What's more, the caseworkers at the naturalization office are inundated with work due to the surge in applications caused by Brexit. Strangely, they are still willing to prioritize British applicants. This is done at the expense of the applicants from other countries because the processing of their application has slowed down.

As far as I know, former British citizens are able to resume their citizenship after renunciation. So I don't understand why some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.  

7 minutes ago, longch said:

Sorry, I don't mean to add fuel to the fire. But I do think some of you should have started your citizenship application in 2016, 2017 or even 2018. Why leaving the erste Beratung to the eleventh hour? This creates unnecessary stress for the applicants themselves.

Did you open a TT account just to tell us that?

@longch: Disregard the Negative Nancys here - some of them are panicking for the exact reasons you laid out above.