Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,499 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Billybulldog said:

Received the official invite to the Einbuergerungsfeier today...March 28th in the Paulskirche here in Frankfurt am Main.

What an awesome date. A perfect "up yours to Brexit" party. I didn't go to any Einbuergerungsfeier. I didn't really want to become German and so was happy not to have to celebrate it either...

On 20/02/2019, 17:43:34, Billybulldog said:

Received the official invite to the Einbuergerungsfeier today...March 28th in the Paulskirche here in Frankfurt am Main.

Same

I've followed this thread for a while and after seeing so many people saying they got their citizenship acceptance, I recently wondered if anyone got rejected. Maybe for a criminal record, insufficient (or not sufficiently interesting) qualifications, being close to retirement or a severe health issues (basically a risk of being a burden). I don't think I'd be rejected, I just wondered if anyone had been out of interest.

I've been such a dumbass with this whole thing and am only applying now. It'll take a deal-brexit or a delayed-brexit for me to manage to get it completed in time and therefore successfully get dual citizenship I imagine. It always seemed so far into the future.

6 minutes ago, Derek said:

I've followed this thread for a while and after seeing so many people saying they got their citizenship acceptance, I recently wondered if anyone got rejected. Maybe for a criminal record, insufficient (or not sufficiently interesting) qualifications, being close to retirement or a severe health issues (basically a risk of being a burden). I don't think I'd be rejected, I just wondered if anyone had been out of interest.

Can`t remember when but there was a guy here who got rejected for claiming welfare.

12 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Can`t remember when but there was a guy here who got rejected for claiming welfare.

Yes, you have to show you can support yourself (and any dependents) without resorting to state support.  It might be helpful if anyone knows exactly what the requirements are.   What if you are a housewife or husband for example?

Congratulations to all those with citizenship,

I have been in Germany for 8 years (just), but have a problem learning to B1 standard. I am trying to get an appointment with a psychologist to see if I have a problem other than my age, as the harder I try the less I seem to learn. I can communicate and have conversations with local people and can follow their conversation if I know what they are talking about, but learning the correct words in the correct order has me wanting to bash my head against the wall as it happens so slowly. It is worse because I want so much to learn properly, being told to work harder is so depressing as I spend hours at home with cd's playing and study as long as I can.. 

I have everything else I need for citizenship, and was told by one person that if you are over 60 you can get a reduced level or no test due to some regulation(s), I have no idea what these regulations are, neither does the lovely lady at the kreishaus (local geminde know even less). Does anyone know what these regulations are please? I am over 60 and have everything else I need (just have to get my birth certificate translated), including a private pension so I can show that I can support myself.

5 minutes ago, SusieT said:

if you are over 60 you can get a reduced level or no test due to some regulation(s),

Susie:  I have been told the same thing by my local Kreisverwaltung!  Best of luck.

3 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

Susie:  I have been told the same thing by my local Kreisverwaltung!  Best of luck.

Thank you, sadly the lady in my kreis does not know anything sbout this, I have just emailed the ministry at the hauptstadt to see if anyone there can help, I have a feeling it may differ depending on where you live which does not help!

15 minutes ago, sluzup said:

Requirements for Einbürgerung

Send this to the lady at the Kreis.  It says you need/can get an Attest from your doctor.

Thank you so much, I emailed them and asked about that but they would not tell me what age was considerd to be "too old" 

I will get an appointment at the doctor and ask him for one :)

I'm sure it depends on where you live, and maybe even on the individual official.

I was 64 when I had my initial meeting. I asked if I really needed the B1 certificate, and was clearly told yes.

However, I was fairly relaxed about that, because I was reasonably confident about passing the test (which I duly did).

Anyway, good luck with trying to get an exemption.

On 2/20/2019, 5:43:34, Billybulldog said:

Oh, perfect, perfect timing...

I didn’t get the letter yet but I really hope I get to go.

would be nice to meet some TTers there actucally, shall we wear some kind of symbol to show we’re in the know?

Fair enough! When I get me invite I’ll dig out my 100% Hesse badge

1 hour ago, Billybulldog said:

Will be wearing my Black & White striped Eintracht Frankfurt tie...😌

I've started the process here in Schöneberg in Berlin - I'm starting so late because I only actually become eligible in May, when I'll have been married to a German for 2 years (and living in Germany for more than 3).  They did tell me though that I could already submit my application, since it takes 3-4 months to process, by which time it will be May.  I submitted all my paperwork last Tuesday in Schöneberg.  I was told that as long as my application is submitted before Brexit, I should be able to keep my British citizenship as well, even if the decision on becoming German comes after Brexit.

The same woman then called me one day later, saying that they received an email that very morning (I think she said from the Bundesministerium des Innern) saying that in the case of a hard Brexit, British citizens will lose their British citizenship if they haven't completed their application including the Einbürgerungstest - the day before she told me just providing the test Anmeldung is enough.  Unfortunately for me, all of the Volkshochschule test in Berlin are already fully booked until April, which means I'll only do mine on the 24th of April.  So in the case of a hard Brexit I will lose my British citizenship.  Might be helpful for some of you, although by this point it's probably too late to be starting the process, unless there is some kind of a deal.

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2019‎ ‎07‎:‎52‎:‎20, Nerdbloke said:

Hi guys,

just thought I would add my situation and show how long things are taking for me if anyone is interested.

Einbürgerungstest taken on 05.12.2018

Results received of test 12.01.2019 (passed, so took around 5 weeks including the Christmas break)

B1 language test date 19.01.2019, results should take 4-6 weeks to come through.

So hopefully I will get my application in before the end of March

So update on my situation for those interested in timescales!

Took the B1 test on 19.01, went well but waiting for results.

My wife called the local Landratsamt here in Mindelheim and apparently I don't have to wait for the test results to fill all of the paperwork in, I have an appointment on 28.02, maybe I will have the results by then anyway.

Also the lady there told my wife priority is being given to British citizens obviously due to Brexit, and that as long as the application is submitted by 29.03 all good (you all know that anyway but nice to hear from them that is their understanding too!).

I'll keep you posted!

Update number 462...

I received my B1 test result on Saturday, so exactly 5 weeks after taking the test. I passed and am now off to the Landratsamt on Thursday to hand all of this paperwork in.

Has anyone heard anything useful on the driving licence situation? I heard from somewhere that the UK driving licence would somehow become invalid in Europe. I assume that was after a hard Brexit. If that is true, then presumably the reverse might also be true ... that European licences would be invalid in the UK. That would lead to a dilemma for those of us who travel back to the UK once in a while in our cars. Choose where you'd like to be driving (technically) without a licence. If it is only hard Brexit related I'll hold out hope that they really wouldn't want to F*ck the country up that much and would extend the deadline.