Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,207 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, falshsub said:

Do I have to notify anywhere in England that I now have the dual citizenship? 

IIRC when I last applied to renew my UK passort online (was between Christmas & New Year 2017) there was a question asking if I also had a passport from another country (or it might have been whether I was also a citizen of another country).  SInce I don't I answered "No".

When I applied for a renewal of my UK passport earlier this year, I was required to provide a colour 

photocopy of my German passport - all pages, including the front and back cover. I have had dual 

citizenship since 2005, so this is the second UK passport renewal since then. I don't remember that 

question on the application from ten years ago and I think the UK passport agency was unaware of 

my German citizenship back then - unless they were informed by the Germans. 

7 hours ago, falshsub said:

Do I have to notify anywhere in England that I now have the dual citizenship? 

No there is no requirement to do this.  But as @falshsub says, you might have to declare this when applying for a new passport.

1 hour ago, Billybulldog said:

Today I finally had the appointment to pick up my German Citizenship certificate. 

To recap for those interested, in Frankfurt am Main it went as follows:

15 June:            Document handover.

20 August :       Request for upfront payment (255 Euro)

14 November :  Acceptance letter

5 December :   Einbuergerungs Certificate handover.

The “Ceremony” took all of ten minutes. A couple of signatures, a form with the stuff I need for an ID card & Passport, and a best wishes.

So now, all I have to do is get an ID card and Passport. (Certificate, UK Birth Certificate, & Wedding Certificate required). Mission Accomplished.

Again best of luck to the rest of you going through the process!

Congrats. Thanks for that update. I handed my documents in in on September 9 in Berlin. I really hope I get processed within 6 months. 

15 hours ago, Billybulldog said:

Today I finally had the appointment to pick up my German Citizenship certificate. 

To recap for those interested, in Frankfurt am Main it went as follows:

15 June:            Document handover.

20 August :       Request for upfront payment (255 Euro)

14 November :  Acceptance letter

5 December :   Einbuergerungs Certificate handover.

The “Ceremony” took all of ten minutes. A couple of signatures, a form with the stuff I need for an ID card & Passport, and a best wishes.

So now, all I have to do is get an ID card and Passport. (Certificate, UK Birth Certificate, & Wedding Certificate required). Mission Accomplished.

Again best of luck to the rest of you going through the process!

Great!

Keep in touch.

I am waiting for the invite to the Ceremony.

They asked me for payslips and proof I was studying here back in the day (to make up my extra year!) and I emailed them.

Now I'm biting my nails off waiting because I got zero acknowledgement that the email went through.

What do you do? Fax them through as well? Pop over in person? Mail the originals (Germanized instincts warn me against that)...?!

It is almost certainly OK but, if in doubt, post it as well, especially if you did not get any "read" receipt if you put that on your mail.   Why would you not?  Or could you call? (I always do it in person at least to reception but then I am near both city office and Parliament - I tend not to use email with state authorities and, as you say, you never get anything back, although the thing gets done).   

Who is the they?  City or state? 

7 minutes ago, swimmer said:

It is almost certainly OK but, if in doubt, post it as well, especially if you did not get any "read" receipt if you put that on your mail.   Why would you not?  Or could you call? (I always do it in person at least to reception but then I am near both city office and Parliament - I tend not to use email with state authorities and, as you say, you never get anything back, although the thing gets done).   

Tried phoning, it just rings and rings.

I might just go down there when a chance comes up.

it’s RP Darmstadt, I think they have a building move on too so they will be experiencing drama.

It's starting being renovated that's true, but I don't think the place has ground to a halt - still functional, as I said, I am a few hundred metres away :).  

I was gonna ask if  "they" meant city or federal but at least it's got to the latter.

54 minutes ago, swimmer said:

... but I don't think the place has ground to a halt - ...

With Beamters I sometimes wonder if you could tell the difference :) 

Wed 12 Dec 2018 in many parts of Germany, Brits will have Brexit Stammtisches
https://britishingermany.org/category/british-in-germany-event/

OK Another success story.  I pick my certificate up on Monday.

Here is a timeline for a 'simple' application in Bremen. Total time 4 months 2 weeks 6 days. I don't think you can call that slow.

July 23rd 2018 I finally got scared enough to do something about it and had my initial interview to get my 'list'.
        They wanted:-

• Completed application
  • Passport
  • Work Contract
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Qualifications
  • Versicherungsverlauf
  • Einbürgerungstest Certificate
  • Proof of language competency but they mentioned they could test me in the office.

July 26th I went back with everything they wanted except the einbürgerungstest and the language cert. They decided to 'test me' in the office regarding the language part, and gave me a reading comprehension test in front of 3 witnesses. They asked me questions and I was required to answer them, some verbal some written. It took about 10 minutes and they told me right away that I had passed and that they would start processing the application as soon as I had payed. I just needed to keep them advised on when I would be taking the Einburgurungstest and bring them the Certificate once I passed.

August 9th I finally managed to get an appointment for the einbürgerungstest on November 9th

November 9th Took the test. Super easy because I had been preparing for months using the online resources.

December 8th Got the test results 31/33 which will do fine for me :)

December 9th handed in the Certificate. Application was now "Complete"

December 11th Application was approved and a letter notifying me of that was put in the post.

December 13th Letter received, I can pick up my certificate on Monday (They are not open on Friday).

I don't know how long a Perso and a Passport will take to get but I will apply for them on Monday as soon as I have the Certificate.

On 12/6/2018, 12:19:04, swimmer said:

It's starting being renovated that's true, but I don't think the place has ground to a halt - still functional, as I said, I am a few hundred metres away :).  

I was gonna ask if  "they" meant city or federal but at least it's got to the latter.

So I found the RP Darmstadt staff in their new (or temporary?) buildings - which were completely unmarked outside and contained zero signs inside telling you where to find each department!

Once you find them they are nice people though.

41 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I don't know how long a Perso and a Passport will take to get but I will apply for them on Monday as soon as I have the Certificate.

Congratulations! I'm bogged down in sending on some final (?) updates and a proof of past studies that I literally had with me but wasn't asked for at the initial appointment...

So far I've sent them JPEGs, PDFs made from the JPEGs, small low-res PDFs from a new scan, and personally walked in with the originals and watched an official scan them again so hopefully between that something gets through.

@Pappnase congratulations!

Bremen is definitely more laid back when it comes to the language part. Interesting that both Bremen & Frankfurt require payment up front nowadays, as I think other Forum members have either paid in installments or at the end of the process. Not that it matters I suppose.

I am going to apply for my ID and Passport on Monday, as the Lady at the Einbuergerungs Certificate handover recommended I get an ID card by mid January. I will let you know how quickly it goes here in Frankfurt. 

Yeah they actually put a letter in with mine saying that once I pick up the certificate I will be subject to "Ausweispflicht" and so I should apply for a Perso straight-away.

In Bremen it's all in the same building so I'll just go downstairs and apply. 

Wow. Here I have to go to the Burgeramt. Another building altogether. Luckily you can book an appointment online. Managed to get one 10 days after I picked up the Citizenship certificate. I bet you get your documents quicker than me...

Perso takes about 3 weeks, passport under a week if you pay 30€ for the express service. That was in Berlin, although I think everything is printed centrally at the Bundesdruckerei.

3 hours ago, kayw said:

Perso takes about 3 weeks, passport under a week if you pay 30€ for the express service. That was in Berlin, although I think everything is printed centrally at the Bundesdruckerei.

I'm just curious as to how long it took from you handing in your documents to getting your letter since I also live in Berlin and handed my documents in in September.

8 hours ago, ashchar said:

I'm just curious as to how long it took from you handing in your documents to getting your letter since I also live in Berlin and handed my documents in in September.

Depends on your situation and which Bezirk you are in. It's taken about 1.5 years (possibly longer) for a friend in Pankow, I am in Charlottenburg and had a straightforward application and it took 6 months from handing the initial set of documents in (May this year). I sent a couple of translations of certificates a month into the process, and my einbürgerungstest results halfway through. Got my Urkunde in November.