Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, John Eden said:

Congratulations. When I received my documents I went directly to my Gemeinde and applied immediately for my Personalausweis and Reisepass. (cost = 28,80€ & 60€ respectively).

Thanks! I´m going to apply for change of my first name once I get my citizenship certificate and then apply for my passport and personalausweis under the new name.

On ‎20‎.‎02‎.‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎33‎:‎48, aries6 said:

Update:

OK. It´s official. I picked up my citizenship certificate today. I am officially a German citizen as of 10:15 A.M this morning.:P

I paid the fee (€225) before I went to the waiting room to get my number. Once in, I had to return my electronic residency card and had to sign some documents confirming that there has been no change in my status in the meantime. Also had to sign a document with the "magic words" that I will defend the Grundgesetz etc. I was also issued an "Identitätsbescheinigung" with my picture which serves as my picture identification until I get my German passport and personalausweis.

At the end of it I was handed the citizenship certificate. The beamter stood up and I had to stand up as well and she shook my hand and congratulated me and handed me the certificate. It was a happy moment.

I also got the invitation to the naturalization party from the mayor of Munich (Dieter Reiter) as well as a letter of congratulations from Jaochim Hermann (Bavarian Interior Minister).:lol:

Do I feel different? Yes, I do. It´s hard to describe. It´s a good day.

(changes nationality status on Toytown).:P

Final Update:
Picked up my German passport this morning. Over and out.B)

So I have just gone through the same process, but in rural Niedersachen.  Things seem to be different here, and maybe in a good way.  Here's how it was for me:  For information I am a British citizen (and German now !), married to a German and have lived and worked in Niedersachsen for 8 years.

I rang the Rathaus and was put through to the correct office.  When I asked for the paperwork to be sent out the man said no, I should come to pick it up as it was complicated and he needed to talk me through it.  Boring, especially as it is almost a hours drive from my home.  Some months later I rang to ask what time they would be open so I could come to pick up the paperwork.  "Why?  I can send it to you." said a different man.  It arrived soon afterwards.  Some months later I had most of what I needed, but not all.  I passed the citizenship test (25€), and got that certificate.  I rang the man in the Rathaus, asking specifically for the same, helpful, man.  "Do I really need to handwrite my CV?", to which he explained it was a method to see how good my german writing was, but no, a printed version would be okay.  I then mentioned my wedding certificate, a strange shaped English piece of paper.  Do I need a translation?  "Well, no, I think we can manage." Then I got brave, or cheeky, and asked about my birth certificate, "Oh, we can manage that too".  And even the language test can be worked out, I should come in and we would have a little chat and he was allowed to make a judgement on whether I was competent enough.!!!  Needless to say I made an appointment to see that man, and not the other one.  I arrived a few weeks later with lots of papers, extras just in case, bank statements to prove that I had paid the 225€ fee ( or was it 250€).  After 15 minutes I came out with a big grin, and 4 weeks later a certificate in the post.  Easy as pie.  Couple of weeks later than that with my own Ausweis too.

Like aries6 I too can attend a naturalization part , but they only happen every 2 years here - may say something about the demand.  But maybe that is why it was so easy.

I have to say that my judgement of narrow thinking, rule bound burocrazy, rudeness has taken a good hit - for the better.

Thanks Laurieston for posting your experience and congratulations!

Yes, it certainly is different depending on where you are applying. In Munich it was really strict. I had to provide officially sworn German translations of everything, even though everything was in English.

My case took longer, because I had to wait 8 months just to get an appointment to hand in my documents and plus I had to wait another 5 months to get proof that I had renounced my Canadian citizenship. I actually qualified for citizenship after 6 years (in June 2016) and that´s when I started the whole process. I got my citizenship certificate in February 2018, so almost 2 years later!

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2018‎ ‎14‎:‎06‎:‎04, aries6 said:

Final Update:
Picked up my German passport this morning. Over and out.B)

Sorry. Final Final Update:
Picked up my Personalausweis this morning. Applied for it on 28February2018 (same day that I applied for my express passport) and was told that it will take 4-5 weeks till it is ready for pick up. However, it was ready for pick up on 13March2018 (so less than 2 weeks after I applied for it). This was in Munich.

1 hour ago, onemark said:

@ Aries6:

I'm curious. Why did you change your name as well?

My previous name was very religious and I am an atheist. Religion does not play any part in my life. Someone's name is closely linked to ones identity, and my previous name did not reflect mine, so I changed it. Did not want that association.

On 2/16/2018, 9:51:52, justwise said:

I am considering taking B2 exam so I can apply for Citizenship after 6 years of residence.I went to the Citizenship amt to make enquiries about my chances.
Surprisingly, the Beamter said I dont need to take B2 exam, that I am already considered well integrated here in Bad-Wü since I completed a University degree in Germany.He gave me the form and the list of document required and he asked me to submit back in September (It will be 6 years of residence in September).

I am not sure I will pass B2, so this gives me a lot of relief. But my fear is that if I meet another Beamter in September, he might object to this standing.
Does any one has experience with this law in Ba-Wü?

I don't have experience, but then I assume that you qualify because you have completed your studies here.  See also this link:

http://www.rechtsanwalt-fruehauf.de/einbuergerung-ohne-nachweis-des-sprachniveaus-1b-und-ohne-einbuergerungstest/

If you scroll down, there is also a comment about University studies.

There is always the chance than one beamter will disagree with another.  So just try and get an appointment with the first one again (if you can recall their name).  And worst case is that you will have to take the B2 exam.  As there is still 6 months to September, then this gives you plenty of time to brush up your skills.

BTW:  If you have completed a uni course in Germany in German then I'm sure you would pass B2 level no problem.  

B2 level German is automatically assumed if you did a - German-language - degree in Germany since DSH1 or TDN3 (i.e. B2.2) is an absolute minimum entry requirement for attending uni anyway with most courses requiring better than that.

18 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I don't have experience, but then I assume that you qualify because you have completed your studies here.  See also this link:

http://www.rechtsanwalt-fruehauf.de/einbuergerung-ohne-nachweis-des-sprachniveaus-1b-und-ohne-einbuergerungstest/

There is always the chance than one beamter will disagree with another.  So just try and get an appointment with the first one again (if you can recall their name).  And worst case is that you will have to take the B2 exam.  As there is still 6 months to September, then this gives you plenty of time to brush up your skills.

BTW:  If you have completed a uni course in Germany in German then I'm sure you would pass B2 level no problem.  

My degree in Germany is in English. I told the Beamter and he said its no problem. That my B1 and uni degree is enough to apply

18 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I think the rules comes from the administrative regulation for migration and citizenship in Ba-Wü.ö

See the link below: Section 10.3.2

https://im.baden-wuerttemberg.de/fileadmin/redaktion/m-im/intern/dateien/pdf/20170303_VwV_StAG_3._Fortschreibung_vom_03.03.2017.pdf

On 14.3.2018, 10:05:07, justwise said:

I think the rules comes from the administrative regulation for migration and citizenship in Ba-Wü.ö

See the link below: Section 10.3.2

https://im.baden-wuerttemberg.de/fileadmin/redaktion/m-im/intern/dateien/pdf/20170303_VwV_StAG_3._Fortschreibung_vom_03.03.2017.pdf

https://www.baden-wuerttemberg.de/de/service/presse/pressemitteilung/pid/neue-verwaltungsvorschrift-zum-staatsangehoerigkeitsgesetz-in-kraft-getreten/

On 14.3.2018, 09:59:56, justwise said:

My degree in Germany is in English. I told the Beamter and he said its no problem. That my B1 and uni degree is enough to apply

Anyone go through the process with Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt (I think they are responsible for all of Südhessen)? How long did it take?

6 hours ago, Neudarmstaedter said:

Anyone go through the process with Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt (I think they are responsible for all of Südhessen)? How long did it take?

10-11 months for an EU colleague who just got her citizenship last week.

Breaking: The UK will remain part of the single market until end 2020. That gives everyone a lot more time to apply for German cizenship.

21 hours ago, Neudarmstaedter said:

A colleague just completed this in Frankfurt, he said that Darmstadt is responsible for all of Hessen.

It took him 8 months from handling in the completed form to getting confirmation.  He was told to expect 9 months.

Given today's news this is no longer relevant on the same timeline but might be useful later.

I went for a first appointment this morning (before the news broke) to discuss timelines as my 8 years are up in January 2019. They told me that I could submit everything earlier, but that they couldn't approve it until the January. They gave me an appointment to submit my documents in June.

I was just wondering something. Aaages ago - maybe on this thread, not quite sure - somebody said they were rushing to get UK passport renewal application forms because of a rumour that a question about dual citizenship would soon be introduced on it...

So that would have to mean the UK won't even get informed when you apply for a German citizenship and the german side do all their checks. That cannot be right, surely.

One would assume they would have to exchange data at some basic level between both countries. Surely? So why bother asking such a question when you next renew your UK passport?