Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,207 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, klubbnika said:

I love how you say things that are incorrect and then try to avoid admitting it... :)

Its called the ebb and flow of a discussion.

2 hours ago, RelativeDimensions said:

As a citizen of a member state, I am a citizen of the EU insofar as I have a lot of rights which stem from being a citizen of an EU member state. When the UK leaves the EU, I will lose those rights. 

Saying "EU citizenship" pretty much covers all that in a lot fewer words, but is obviously not strictly correct in any legal sense. 

I know what you mean, but you said European ...

6 hours ago, RelativeDimensions said:

but then I feel incredibly sad about having my European citizenship stripped from me too.

... which is not the same as EU.  Britain, by the way, will remain European even after Brexit. 

56 minutes ago, bramble said:

Oh, I've hurt your feelings. So sorry. 

:lol:

Yep, I'm absolutely traumatised that some stranger on the internet wants me to write casual forum posts with legal precision.  Devastated. Distraught. Weeping into my ovaltine...

6 hours ago, RelativeDimensions said:

:lol:

Yep, I'm absolutely traumatised that some stranger on the internet wants me to write casual forum posts with legal precision.  Devastated. Distraught. Weeping into my ovaltine...

I am wondering if you ever stop ? Even when it is so clear that you actually do not have a clue, you will pull all the stops to dig yourself out the hole you find yourself in. You are really not helping yourself.

Apart from the language test cert, citizenship test cert, passport, photos, completed form, what other docs are needed? Do they need a birth cert or is that just useful to have with you in case they ask? Is it long or short version of birth cert? 

31 minutes ago, europaeuropa said:

Apart from the language test cert, citizenship test cert, passport, photos, completed form, what other docs are needed? Do they need a birth cert or is that just useful to have with you in case they ask? Is it long or short version of birth cert? 

I can´t imagine that they wouldn´t want your birth certificate and almost certainly they would want the long version. Took me about a month to get mine from the uk.

Requirements depends on where you live. I also had to produce my pension statement to show I had been paying in for the last 60 months and a CV - which thankfully didn´t need to be hand written like some states require. Also marriage cert if you are married. Oh and rental contract and work contract.

Well, I'm keeping a close eye on things...I will be very interested in the possibility of taking German citizenship. I'll be 5 years residency just before the leave date (assuming it's left until March).

I can't see the UK being somewhere I want to move back to for decades the way it's going at the moment.

8 minutes ago, middles said:

Well, I'm keeping a close eye on things...I will be very interested in the possibility of taking German citizenship. I'll be 5 years residency just before the leave date (assuming it's left until March).

I can't see the UK being somewhere I want to move back to for decades the way it's going at the moment.

At least the UK can control its borders.

What do you think happens with unlimited mass migration ?

I'm not entirely convinced the UK controlled its borders that well anyway for the non-EU portion of immigrants. I don't think for one moment that all the Chinese, Pakistani, Indian, Jamaican, American, Australian whatever else non-EU nationalities currently in the UK really were allowed in as "highly skilled professionals practicing their profession in the UK" to begin with. I'm not saying that should be stopped - I'm just saying if they were so goddamn concerned about immigration to begin with, maybe they should have focused on their non-EU immigrant situation which they should be able to competently manage like a well-oiled machine after decades of experience.

Its only one example, but there was a pre-brexit vote TV interview in the North East of all places. It was so funny - the Chinese lady was saying she was a Uni graduate (I think medicine)  who came over  to the UK to work and she was now working in a chinese restaurant as shift supervisor - it was hysterically ironic - she went off on a tangent and was complaining about her Scottish staff for some reason or other which had flop all to do with the discussion in hand.

She was obviously legally allowed to be there or she wouldn't be foolish enough to go on a TV interview, but clearly a Chinese person working in a Chinese restaurant as shift supervisor - the EU had absolutely nothing to do with forcing the UK into that immigration situation. Yet the UK willfully issued whatever residence and work permit to her anyway. The UK is and has "apparently" been in full control of non-EU migration for a very long time. It can't even get that right - maybe they should fix that before flailing their arms in the air about the EU being all things evil. To me, if the UK does win on controlling EU immigration, I see it as "just another" area the government can be incompetent over, rather than excel in.

I don't mean all immigration should be profession/skills based, I'm just saying the whole situation and direction the UK is going in is bizarre, and in parts hypocritical.

You only need to go to certain areas in London to see how well the UK "controls" migration ... No go zones.

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

At least the UK can control its borders.

Not if they have a Frau Merkel as leader.

As for Brits not ever wanted in Germany, you don't have to worry very much. Germany needs and appreciates work bees with a lot of know-how.

5 hours ago, europaeuropa said:

She was obviously legally allowed to be there or she wouldn't be foolish enough to go on a TV interview, but clearly a Chinese person working in a Chinese restaurant as shift supervisor - the EU had absolutely nothing to do with forcing the UK into that immigration situation. Yet the UK willfully issued whatever residence and work permit to her anyway.

Having watched a few episodes of UK Border Force, is sure seems like immigration in the UK is a mess, although I very much doubt they are issuing ppl work permits to work in fast food.  It seems that people are coming in as students a lot, enrolling in fake colleges that will vouch for their attendance and issue them fake diplomas while they work full time under the table or part time legally as students.  It also seemed that nothing really happens to those that get caught working illegally, that is as long as they can't find their passports to deport them, and that nobody actually knows how many non-EU are working illegally in the UK.

Tony Blair's sidekicks literally invented new channels of immigration to bring Third World peasants, who they believed would bolster their support base. As a result East London and West Midlands were transformed into green flagged slums. Identity politics among minorities is more of a norm than exception, and voting purely out of ethnic and religious kinship were recently seen in London Mayoral election.

Germans are smarter than that. German job market is far more fortified (and hence homogeneous) than UK, Netherlands, Luxembourg, even Switzerland. German students pursue apprenticeship and part time education programs, when rest of the Europeans are attending Universities. Even Corporate World prefers their plug-and-play skill-sets over generic intelligence or diligence established by regular Bachelor or Masters Degree. This results in unabashedly stratified and ghettoized labour market - Gastronomy (Middle Easterner and Muslim South Asian), IT service (Indian), construction / plumbing (Eastern European), random blue collar jobs (United Nations), Kindergarten / Human resource (German women), Banking / Legal (German men). Additionally Germany has natural barriers - language. Evidently German electorate were less worried than UK regarding immigration (EU and non-EU). At least before the law and order situation went out of hand.

9 minutes ago, rohit_2543 said:

Tony Blair's sidekicks literally invented new channels of immigration to bring Third World peasants, who they believed would bolster their support base.

Oh, come on.  The Irish have had the right to settle in the UK for a lot longer than that.

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Oh, come on.  The Irish have had the right to settle in the UK for a lot longer than that.

Indians and Pakistani too.

@snowingagain If you do not like the non PC term "Third World", you may call them "countries whose GDP/capita is less than 1/5th of UK".

Last time I checked GDP/cap of Ireland is 22% more than that of UK.

Anyone know this Question
I was born here back in 1947 German mother British father, iI have a German birth cert, now that things have changed back in the 70ties could I use my German Birth Cert to get a German passport without having to take any tests? I;m living here now.
Thanks

Yes , you might be able to get German citizenship based on descent

I would however consult a lawyer on this, especially if your German isn't good enough to deal with the German paperwork to apply for citizenship - that in itself constitutes quite a test. ;)