Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,883 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Smaug said:

This is taken from the DRV website

But that has n othing to do where you live as a pensioner. The same would be true if you stayed in Germany.

@jeba I don't think you've understood the post. It has everything to do with where you live as a pensioner. If you are living as a pensioner in the EU, non-German qualifying years count, but if you live as a pensioner outside the EU, they don't and you'd be drawing lower payments.

British pensioners living outside the UK, EU, may be subject to a freeze on the pension. So, they will not get an increase  from their original application. Some countries do have agreements, others do not.  Australia and Canada have no agreement wit the UK, so the pension is frozen.

If they moved back to the UK or to the EU, then they would   start getting the yearly increases.

How Brexit will affect British pensioners is   up to Mystic Meg,  Octopus Wally etc.!

11 minutes ago, Smaug said:

@jeba I don't think you've understood the post. It has everything to do with where you live as a pensioner. If you are living as a pensioner in the EU, non-German qualifying years count, but if you live as a pensioner outside the EU, they don't and you'd be drawing lower payments.

Ok, I reread it and stand corrected. However, this affects only a minority of cases in which people were working and contributing to the pension fund while outside Germany.

10 hours ago, arunadasi said:

"The British are never foreigners wherever in the world they live." I thought it was a myth that people actual said this, believe this. The ignorance is mindboggling.  These people voted Brexit.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

That link takes me to an article on the use of the Oxford comma.

Ooops, sorry. Here is the correct link:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/mar/16/british-expats-in-spain-count-the-costa-brexit-video

Evening, arunadasi!

That reminds me of a " well-recorded " incident about 20 years ago at the airport in, I think.. Oslo, when a British traveller was heard to say: " there´s a sign there for Norwegians and  EU citizens to go through and a sign for non-EU citizens to go through. Where do we Brits go through ? "

( PS: I may have made this up but I do vaguely remember hearing about this sometime in my inglorious past!! ):rolleyes:

Mr. Trump made a very interesting statement on immigration at the press conference yesterday with Angela Merkel.

He said "immigration is a privilege, NOT a right!"

How wrong he is!! It is absolutely a right for anyone who fulfills the legal criteria. This president needs to be impeached ASAP!!:angry:

Watched the video and was amazed at how many British don't speak any Spanish - not even enough to leave the coast. Then making fun of a Spaniard's poor English when he was new to the area and only trying to serve them. I don't know why he stayed.

To be fair, I would have to do a lot of studying to get a German passport grammar-wise for sure. Still I get by and can communicate just fine.

On 15.3.2017, 14:51:44, More tea, Vicar? said:

Can anyone waiting for a DEU passport in MUC kindly share their experiences?

When did you submit docs?  Heard anything?

(*again* *drum* *banging*)

Submitted application last July, had the "big paperwork" appointment end of January and am now waiting; the office told me it could take up to a year. Someone I know who submitted the application fairly recently has been given the big paperwork appointment this November.

Munich here as well.

I handed in all my documents on 17Jan2017 and I haven't heard anything since then. I was told it will take between 6-12 months.

Looks like there are still massive delays in getting appointments for the handover of the documents. I went to get an appointment in July2016 and the earliest appointment date I could get at that time was for January2017.

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Watched the video and was amazed at how many British don't speak any Spanish - not even enough to leave the coast. Then making fun of a Spaniard's poor English when he was new to the area and only trying to serve them. I don't know why he stayed.

To be fair, I would have to do a lot of studying to get a German passport grammar-wise for sure. Still I get by and can communicate just fine.

I don't think you need grammar for B1, you just need to understand the tannoy at a train station (!)

I can't imagine who are worse at foreign languages: Brits, Aussies are Yanks.

Probably Aussies. I can remember two (only) who allegedly spoke German and Japanese respectively .  Never got an example, but it came out most conversations.

Aussies are so crap at languages, that a few foreign phrases can get you hired or laid.

16 hours ago, aries6 said:

Munich here as well.

I handed in all my documents on 17Jan2017 and I haven't heard anything since then. I was told it will take between 6-12 months.

Looks like there are still massive delays in getting appointments for the handover of the documents. I went to get an appointment in July2016 and the earliest appointment date I could get at that time was for January2017.

They are still telling people it will take 6-12 months? 

This really is the epitome of offialdom-frustration. Each individual who is waiting a response, any sign (!), has his/her own life and story.  It is for personal reasons important, but you are just a number and you cannot even call or find out where your application is in the queue.

I recommend to both posters above to simply try and forget about the application (ha, ha).

Otherwise it will be a very long wait.

While its far less complex, I sometimes wonder what would happen if the shoe were on the other foot and when you were asked to anmeld, you said "OK, that shall take me 6-12 months. Please don't contact me..." The point is, when they REALLY want to, they can get a move on with things.

There's a lot more people an- and um-melding, and doing it at a more frequent rate than one-time einbuergerungs, yet miraculously that and the lightning speed at which former GEZ react are worthy of olympic medals :-)

On 3/15/2017, 8:06:59, jeba said:

Are British pensions depending on where you live?

As far as I know (it was the last time I checked) the UK has a treaty with EU countries (not sure if it is all or just some) that means that the pension of UK nationals living in those countries will raise as it does in the UK.

If your country of residence is not on the list, your pension is frozen at the value it was when you leave the UK, or ion this case, maybe when the UK leaves the EU - unless it is covered in the Brexit negotiation.

20 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

As far as I know (it was the last time I checked) the UK has a treaty with EU countries (not sure if it is all or just some) that means that the pension of UK nationals living in those countries will raise as it does in the UK.

If your country of residence is not on the list, your pension is frozen at the value it was when you leave the UK, or ion this case, maybe when the UK leaves the EU - unless it is covered in the Brexit negotiation.

So far, but we have to wait and see what Britain negotiates away, after all the supposed best hope for the UK, Sir Ivan Rogers resigned and Dave Davis hasn't exactly shown himself to be capable thus far. So we will have to wait for the outcome.

We got all our docs in at the beginning of Jan here in Essen - told it would be about 6 months. So still waiting, we've had friends who've had inconsistencies picked up such as spelling differences bertween names on official docs which they're needing to sort but no one yet has actually got the citizenship - none of us applied pre September 2016 though. 

i was slightly out out at how random the requirements seem to be here - all my British friends here have applied and each one of us has had to provide / do. different things - in fact I'm the only one of about 10 who's had to take the B1 - some have been out down as 'Muttersprache Deutsch" even though they're not... wonders now if that would be classed as lying on the application and if could cause probs? 

A further question - does anyone know how dual nationality works in terms of passing it on? So my children who are all britisch citizens will become dual German/British - do they get to pass both nationalities on to the their children - and is their a limit as to how many generations this might last?

I think both countries limit transmitting citizenship from kids born abroad whose offspring are also born abroad, but at least for the Germans, there are ways to continue transmitting. Have a look specifically. Wikipedia is fairly comprehensive, but you can also check the relevant ministry/embassy websites. But, if the kids are entitled to the both nationalities individually at birth, they will get to keep both (the UK doesn't mind dual citizenship anyway, so this applied mainly to current German law).

30 minutes ago, redlawrey said:

A further question - does anyone know how dual nationality works in terms of passing it on? So my children who are all britisch citizens will become dual German/British - do they get to pass both nationalities on to the their children - and is their a limit as to how many generations this might last?

Were your children born in the UK?

If not they can't pass their British citzenship on.

http://www.workpermit.com/immigration/united-kingdom/british-citizenship-descent-or-otherwise

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I think both countries limit transmitting citizenship from kids born abroad whose offspring are also born abroad

No, Germany has been traditionally jus sanguinis. If one of the parents has German citizenship at birth the child will also have German citizenship and is even allowed to have multiple ones. Number of generations or place of birth are irrelevant.