Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,883 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kato said:

It's not particularly sensitive, does not need a special law, and has been done before:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/urteil-helfer-der-sauerland-gruppe-ist-kein-deutscher-mehr-a-775671.html

(one of the guys of the Sauerland terrorist group had their naturalization revoked in 2014 - after 7 years)

I've just read the linked article and the decision to revoke Selek's citizenship after his conviction was legally valid because he had deliberately concealed the fact that a preliminary investigation had been instituted against him for infringement of the arms legislation. Thus he deceived the naturalisation office. An so he became stateless. 

In dem Rechtsstreit um die Aberkennung seiner deutschen Staatsbürgerschaft urteilte das Verwaltungsgericht Sigmaringen nun, Selek habe bei seinem Einbürgerungsverfahren 2005 bewusst verschwiegen, dass ein Ermittlungsverfahren wegen Verstoßes gegen das Waffengesetz gegen ihn eingeleitet worden war. Somit habe er die Einbürgerungsbehörde getäuscht. Die Ausbürgerung nach seiner Verurteilung in Düsseldorf sei rechtmäßig gewesen.

Can anyone waiting for a DEU passport in MUC kindly share their experiences?

When did you submit docs?  Heard anything?

(*again* *drum* *banging*)

My parents mentioned maybe moving to Scotland if they break away... 

The question would be, would their pension be kept up with inflation or just left as it is as they would then live 'abroad'... 

4 hours ago, cb6dba said:

My parents mentioned maybe moving to Scotland if they break away... 

The question would be, would their pension be kept up with inflation or just left as it is as they would then live 'abroad'... 

Are British pensions depending on where you live?

can anyone help with the following query:

if you're british and have recently got german citizenship, so that you're a dual citizen, what happens if you don't renew you british passport after it expires?

-Can you renew it 10 years later when you decide you need it?

-is an expired passport still proof of british citizenship?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, dom said:

can anyone help with the following query:

if you're british and have recently got german citizenship, so that you're a dual citizen, what happens if you don't renew you british passport after it expires?

I don't think dual citizenship is an issue. You are still British even without a passport, which is only a travel document.

-Can you renew it 10 years later when you decide you need it?

Apparently you can if it isn't older than 15 years: http://uk.downloadpassports.com/uk-passport-faqs

My British passport expired several years ago. Can I still apply to renew it?

Yes. If your last passport is less than 15 years old you can apply for a passport renewal. If it is older you must apply as if you were a first time applicant. The UK Passport Application Form contains a section for this purpose.

-is an expired passport still proof of british citizenship?

Maybe it is, but I would say proof of British citizenship is your birth certificate as you need to send it in to apply for a first time passport:

Do I need to send my birth certificate in with my passport application?

If you are renewing a British passport, you do not need to send your birth certificate, just your old passport or a lost/ stolen form. If you are applying for a first time British passport, you must send in your birth certificate.

On 15.3.2017, 20:06:59, jeba said:

Whether they are index-linked is dependent upon where you live (example: EU yes, Canada no).

On 15/03/2017, 19:06:59, jeba said:

Yep. 

So are German ones. If you move outside of the EU you get less money. 

39 minutes ago, Smaug said:

If you move outside of the EU you get less money. 

So when the UK moves outside of the EU...

8 hours ago, Smaug said:

Are you sure? I´ve never heard about that.

I also very 

10 hours ago, Smaug said:

Yep. 

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Are you sure? I´ve never heard about that.

I don't see how it can possibly be true. Your pension is your pension.

Yesterday I visited a German friend whose husband is British. He has lived here over 30 years. He applied for German citizenship in October and it has been approved -- the Einbürgerungs ceremony is early April.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

I don't see how it can possibly be true. Your pension is your pension.

If you live in a country that does not have a bilaterial agreement with the UK on the matter your pension  is frozen.  So if the UK does not set up agreements with the countries affected, the pensions would freeze from date of Brexit.   The countries affected are Croatia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Romania, Poland, Hungary, Finland, Sweden, Malta, Cyprus, Austria, Portugal, Greece and Spain.  And  Spain particularly  has a lot of expats.

"At the moment anyone who retires to a country within the European Economic Area has their state pension uprated by the “triple lock”, meaning it is guaranteed to rise in line with whichever is the highest of earnings, inflation or 2.5%"

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-3736307/Will-EU-expats-state-pensions-frozen-Brexit.html

13 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

If you live in a country that does not have a bilaterial agreement with the UK on the matter your pension  is frozen.  So if the UK does not set up agreements with the countries affected, the pensions would freeze from date of Brexit.   The countries affected are Croatia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Romania, Poland, Hungary, Finland, Sweden, Malta, Cyprus, Austria, Portugal, Greece and Spain.  And  Spain particularly  has a lot of expats.

"At the moment anyone who retires to a country within the European Economic Area has their state pension uprated by the “triple lock”, meaning it is guaranteed to rise in line with whichever is the highest of earnings, inflation or 2.5%"

Sorry, I was being selfish and referring to myself only. My pension is German. I do not think it will be reduced if I move to Sri Lanka or anywhere else outside the EU.

I was referring to the statement that German pensions are also reduced. All I found is this: http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Navigation/1_Lebenslagen/05_Kurz_vor_und_in_der_Rente/02_Fuer_Rentner/06_Zahlung_ins_Ausland/Zahlung_ins_Ausland_node.html

Grundsätzlich steht es Ihnen frei, wo Sie Ihre Rentenzeit verbringen. In der Regel gehen Ihre erworbenen Leistungsansprüche nicht verloren. Die Deutsche Rentenversicherung zahlt Renten derzeit in über 150 Länder.

But anyway, I'd be keeping my German bank account for the Rente.

11 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

That link refers to the actual bank transfer to foreign countries and problems that could arise there. It does not say that your pension will be cut. A different matter altogether. If your Rente goes on to a German account there would not be a problem.

3 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I don't see how it [getting a lower pension] can possibly be true. Your pension is your pension.

One way this can happen is that only contributions you made in the FDG count in the calculation of your pension if you are a resident outside of the EU. If you, for example, worked for a while in the US, UK, you can add those contributions to your German qualifying years, but they only bump up your pension if you are drawing it within the EU.

This is taken from the DRV website

Bei gewöhnlichem Aufenthalt außerhalb der Europäischen Union erhalten Berechtigte ihre Rente in voller Höhe nur aus den Beitragszeiten im Gebiet der heutigen Bundesrepublik Deutschland und gegebenenfalls anteilig aus den zurückgelegten beitragsfreien Zeiten.