Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,883 posts in this topic

Aires6 beat me to it.

According to this website it is possible to get a replacement: 

http://www.helpster.de/einbuergerungsurkunde-verloren-was-sie-jetzt-am-besten-tun_71104

It is explained that a naturalised person needs the document every time their Personalausweis and Passport needs to be renewed. Also, when you marry you will need to show your naturalisation document and when you register a birth of your child. 

I've translated the necessary steps what you have to do when you apply for a replacement of your naturalisation document:

1. Contact your local naturalization office. This is usually assigned to the registry office and can be found in your district. 
  2. The certificate of naturalization is a document. This may only be issued once and circulated. When notifying the Naturalisation Office, you must declare under oath that the original is no longer in your possession and cannot be found elsewhere. If you find the lost original certificate again, you must send it to the office, as it has become invalid by issuing the second copy. 
  3. You must expect a certain processing time, which can also take several months depending on the circumstances. The reason for this is that your naturalisation office must review the granting of German citizenship and as a result may have to contact several offices and archives.

18 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

That is not true, German citizenship can be removed if you lied to get it.  It can also be removed if you join a foreign armed group.

So you are saying that if a person submits a application containing false information, then it can be taken away. Sounds fair enough, but I expect that is on the form and only an idiot or criminal would do that.

This is not the same as  someone who stays within the law and saying 'if you join a foreign armed group' pretty much says you are more interested about just being right that posting anything that is relevant to this group. 

I have only been here a few months and don't even live in Germany, but I would still assume the general group would not lie on their applications and are not thinking of heading out to the middle east to join in a war. I assume I am in not danger of being killed in a nuclear explosion, it could happen, if I split hairs to the point where I may be visiting Japan on holiday during the summer and an earthquake happens and a big wave takes out the local nuclear power station and it suffers a catastrophic failure ion what ever system stops it going boom, happens... You are quite negative.

Did you lie on your application, are you worried they may take it away from you? 

13 minutes ago, Harold Beckwith said:

So you are saying that if a person submits a application containing false information, then it can be taken away. Sounds fair enough, but I expect that is on the form and only an idiot or criminal would do that.

This is not the same as  someone who stays within the law and saying 'if you join a foreign armed group' pretty much says you are more interested about just being right that posting anything that is relevant to this group. 

I have only been here a few months and don't even live in Germany, but I would still assume the general group would not lie on their applications and are not thinking of heading out to the middle east to join in a war. I assume I am in not danger of being killed in a nuclear explosion, it could happen, if I split hairs to the point where I may be visiting Japan on holiday during the summer and an earthquake happens and a big wave takes out the local nuclear power station and it suffers a catastrophic failure ion what ever system stops it going boom, happens... You are quite negative.

Did you lie on your application, are you worried they may take it away from you? 

FFS. Harry you asked a question which was can German citizenship be revoked. The answer to that is yes. I have never applied for German citizenship nor do I wish to even though i have been here 10 years. You can troll me all you like but the fact still remains that German citizenship can be revoked.

25 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

but the fact still remains that German citizenship can be revoked.

I believe this is also the case with British citizenship if there are serious grounds to do so. 

11 minutes ago, bramble said:

I believe this is also the case with British citizenship if there are serious grounds to do so. 

I am not 100% sure but can the queen also revoke British citizenship ?

50 minutes ago, Harold Beckwith said:

I have only been here a few months and don't even live in Germany, but I would still assume the general group would not lie on their applications and are not thinking of heading out to the middle east to join in a war. 

I think that lying on your application may be more common than you think.  Hanging out on a Canadian immigration forum, I have come across many people who don't seem to have a problem tailoring their immigration applications to whatever they think will work out better for them.  In some cases, it's saying they are not married when they are or saying they don't have children when they do.  I also remember a case where someone on a work permit declared their niece as their daughter because they wanted to take her with them.  In some cases, it's lying about work experience or education, even going so far as to forge or buy forged documents.

Once somebody has applied for a work permit with a lie, they can't exactly admit to the lie so they will have to continue it.  In some countries, this is not considered a big deal.  They will ask afterwards how to correct their "small mistake" which in Canada is actually considered big time fraud and will probably get them kicked out.  Here in Germany, I don't know.  As I already posted, I did not see anything in Bramble's link where it says that you can lose citizenship for lying on your application.

56 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

FFS. Harry you asked a question which was can German citizenship be revoked. The answer to that is yes. I have never applied for German citizenship nor do I wish to even though i have been here 10 years. You can troll me all you like but the fact still remains that German citizenship can be revoked.

Not trolling, just wondered why you are being so negative on a thread where people are trying to help each other get citizenship.

If it goes south for those with citizenship, they would be out after those without surely?

Is it a case of you don't want it, or don't meet the requirement? After 10 years I would have thought you would qualify?

Given the uncertainly, I would expect holding dual citizenship would be far more secure than not. I do not know your personal circumstances, but it looks like you would not complain if you were sent home.

Just now, Harold Beckwith said:

Not trolling, just wondered why you are being so negative on a thread where people are trying to help each other get citizenship.

If it goes south for those with citizenship, they would be out after those without surely?

Is it a case of you don't want it, or don't meet the requirement? After 10 years I would have thought you would qualify?

Given the uncertainly, I would expect holding dual citizenship would be far more secure than not. I do not know your personal circumstances, but it looks like you would not complain if you were sent home.

I am stating facts. Not trying to be negative. 

Why get worried about something you have no control over. I love Scotland and always will. If they kick me out then so be it. I go back home and start again. At the end of the day no one knows what this fiasco will look like. 

The revocation of citizenship is a hot potato at the moment in DEU because bills are being discussed (this week/last week?) to revoke citizenship in the case of threats to public security (ie. a naturlised Muslim commits an Amoklauf).

It is sensitive because of German history and it is also apparently contra. to "International Law".   You cannot simply make someone stateless.

10 minutes ago, Harold Beckwith said:

HB - that's simply his style, don't take it personally.  RF is an angry man. 

Hey RF - if Nicola's dream comes true, you could get a nice shiney new Jock passport with a thistle on the front.   Here's hoping for a rise in oil prices and a deterioration in the burdgeoning quality of Japanese whiskey!

6 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

The revocation of citizenship is a hot potato at the moment in DEU because bills are being discussed (this week/last week?) to revoke citizenship in the case of threats to public security (ie. a naturlised Muslim commits an Amoklauf).

It is sensitive because of German history and it is also apparently contra. to "International Law".   You cannot simply make someone stateless.

Hey RF - if Nicola's dream comes true, you could get a nice shiney new Jock passport with a thistle on the front.   Here's hoping for a rise in oil prices and a deterioration in the burdgeoning quality of Japanese whiskey!

Latest reports are that May will deny the SNP a second referendum.  A constitutional crisis is brewing in the UK if that happens.  

12 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

I think it would be a Unicorn...

Although I was against this the last time, I fully understand that some Scots would be for independence now.

I also understand the SNPs push for this, the UK government have presented them with the opportunity and they are taking it.

May be time to start thinking about moving up north... Maybe dig out some of those Rab C. Nesbitt dvds to get in some practice*.

Joking aside, I would do that. The thought of the Tories being able to do what they want for the next 3 to 4 parliaments is a scary thing. 

I volunteer to be King of Scotland! (if it also leaves the Commonwealth.)

I sport a very regal beard that would look quite suitable.

Does anyone actually speak Scots Gaelic?

My mate from Kirkcaldy speaks a kind of non-English language, but I don't think its Gaelic.

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Latest reports are that May will deny the SNP a second referendum.  A constitutional crisis is brewing in the UK if that happens.  

To be honest, I am beyond caring.

I studied in Scotland, I have a godchild and great mates there, fond memories and I was mortified that Scotland could leave the Union. For some emotional reason.

Now, after Brexit, I think the UK gets whatever it deserves, after letting the Brexit genie out of the bottle.

(I am obviously a Remainer, so please let it be and lets not start another thread-within-a-thread on the Brexit issue.)

After having accidentally listened (when snorkeling with my new radio snorkel) to a BBC broadcast I doubt that Scotland will leave the UK. After all they receive more than GBP 1000.- /head/year in subsidies and their economy is too closely tied to the UK economy. Leaving the EU is probably the lesser evil for them.

23 hours ago, aries6 said:
On 3/13/2017, 6:54:59, RenegadeFurther said:

German citizenship can be removed

23 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Why are you asking me ? How should I know ?

-

you were the one making the unqualified statement...that's why.

19 minutes ago, catjones said:

you were the one making the unqualified statement...that's why.

So German citizenship can't be removed? Shouldn't you be cheering on some illegal mass migration somewhere? 

9 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

It's not particularly sensitive, does not need a special law, and has been done before:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/urteil-helfer-der-sauerland-gruppe-ist-kein-deutscher-mehr-a-775671.html

(one of the guys of the Sauerland terrorist group had their naturalization revoked in 2014 - after 7 years)