Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,207 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I guess you could write Merkel a letter.

According to the Independent article the decision is with or is delegated to the federal states, so it might make sense to form a local delegation to the bundesland?

I think you are clutching at straws.  Nothing bad will happen to you so stop worrying. Just sit back and enjoy the fireworks. Bring on 2017.

14 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

But what if it doesn't? Will the German government fast track us to German citizenship out of pity? Fairly safe to assume those of us who built our whole lives here are enthusiastic Europeans?

Enthusiastic Europeans? yes to living in the continent of Europe, but big no to the EU. French food, Italian pizza, German (Bavarian alpine lifestyle), Spanish sun at Easter. But the shite Brussels idiots? Nein/Non/No!

On 2.8.2016, 13:31:50, onemark said:

I had mine sorted in 3 weeks in Freiburg at the Landratsamt.  I had expected to wait at least 6-8 weeks or longer and for them to find some nit picky problem with my application form. I´d also expected the beamter to be a nasty old crotchety cowbag but she was really nice and very helpful. Took a further 3 weeks to get my perso from the Stadtverwaltung :D

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I think you are clutching at straws.  Nothing bad will happen to you so stop worrying. Just sit back and enjoy the fireworks. Bring on 2017.

Not clutching at straws, just thinking of whatever practical steps could be taken to clear up the mess.

A couple of forum posts does not a panic make.

17 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

I also wouldn't want the whole law to change just for a few of us Brits. But hopefully they might grant a one-time exemption if we prove willing by jumping through whatever hoops they choose to set up?

Has there been any other concrete sign from the Bundesregierung? The Greens' message is very touching.

Is there any constructive way we Brits who'd like to stay and live here can make this known to the German parliament?

That's not really a change of the law: after 8 years someone must be made a citizen, but before that someone can be made a citizen.

Well, you can vote in the state elections, for example.

17 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

I also wouldn't want the whole law to change just for a few of us Brits. But hopefully they might grant a one-time exemption if we prove willing by jumping through whatever hoops they choose to set up?

Has there been any other concrete sign from the Bundesregierung? The Greens' message is very touching.

Is there any constructive way we Brits who'd like to stay and live here can make this known to the German parliament?

8 minutes ago, ilyann said:

That's not really a change of the law: after 8 years someone must be made a citizen, but before that someone can be made a citizen.

Well, you can vote in the state elections, for example.

Although to be fair, according to the current regulations (8.1.3.5 Einbürgerungserleichterungen bei besonderem öffentlichem Interesse StAR-VwV, http://www.bmi.bund.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/123084/publicationFile/13216/Anwendungshinweise.pdf ):

> Einbürgerungserleichterungen kommen auch in Betracht, wenn ein besonderes öffentliches In- teresse an der Einbürgerung besteht. In diesen Fällen ist eine erhebliche Verkürzung der in Nummer 8.1.2.2 vorgesehenen Aufenthaltsdau- er möglich. Die geforderte Aufenthaltsdauer soll aber drei Jahre nicht unterschreiten. 

every decision about the naturalisation before 6 or 8 years must be a specific case, requires a letter from authorities explaining why it's in the public interest, and cannot lower the residency requirements to less than 3 years.

So applying it massively to everyone British would require a change in law.

28 minutes ago, ilyann said:

That is not true. You need to pass an exam first.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

That is not true. You need to pass an exam first.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

There are quite a few preconditions to becoming a citizen, yes. That includes German language knowledge, having a permanent residency and secured substinence, and taking the oath. Here I was only referring to the length of residence requirements. Hopefully this sounds reasonable.

Personally, I think Brits will be treated the same way every other non- EU citizen living in Germany will be. There are enough of them here on TT, working and living here for years. I remember living here before the EU was even conceived and all I needed was a work permit and a residence permit. No problem. So don't panic, especially if you have been working here, paying your way,  for years already. 

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

Personally, I think Brits will be treated the same way every other non- EU citizen living in Germany will be. There are enough of them here on TT, working and living here for years. I remember living here before the EU was even conceived and all I needed was a work permit and a residence permit. No problem. So don't panic, especially if you have been working here, paying your way,  for years already. 

Well quite. I doubt we'll be deported en masse, but there'll be a whole heap more paperwork in our immediate futures. Losing oir right to dual citizenship is going to be a bitch, though those of us who are married to other Brits can work around that to some extent by only having one spouse take German citizenship.

Not that there'll be much to go home to after a hard Brexit, unless you're keen on fruit-picking or a mover and shaker in the innovative jams business...

2 hours ago, RelativeDimensions said:

Losing oir right to dual citizenship is going to be a bitch, though those of us who are married to other Brits can work around that to some extent by only having one spouse take German citizenship.

Would you really think of doing this? I mean relinquishing British citizenship for German citizenship. You never know what the future might hold. You might divorce. The spouse who has become German (on paper) for your sake will be in a quandry, might want to go home, but will forever be a foreinger in the country of his/her birth/identity. What about the kids? I wouldn't do it. 

I'm bicultural/bilingal British/German and I am emotionally connected to both heritages, but I have listened very carefully to the biographic stories of my German grandparents and my German mother and relatives and have therefore always been aware of how much dramatic change has occured on the continent, especially so in Germany and neighbouring countries, over a period of only a hundred years. 

I only went for dual citizenship once I heard about the Brexit referendum, even though I had the opportunity for many years. Now or never, I thought. Alarm bells. You learm from history. 

1 hour ago, RelativeDimensions said:

Not that there'll be much to go home to after a hard Brexit, unless you're keen on fruit-picking or a mover and shaker in the innovative jams business...

What sort of country do you think the UK is ?

You really are just being ridiculous.

47 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

What sort of country do you think the UK is ?

You really are just being ridiculous.

Have you been watching the Tory party conference at all?  I merely reference the glorious vision of our elected leaders in which young people will have shining careers as fruit pickers and the loss of the finance sector will not trash the UK economy because we're world leaders in jam.

(Seriously, I wish I was joking.)

1 hour ago, bramble said:

Would you really think of doing this? I mean relinquishing British cititenship for German citizenship. You never know what the future might hold. You might divorce. The spouse who has become German (on paper) for your sake will be in a quandry, might want to go home, but will forever be a foreinger in the country of his/her birth/identity. What about the kids? I wouldn't do it. 

I'm bicultural/bilingal British/German and I am emotionally connected to both heritages, but I have listened very carefully to the biographic stories of my German grandparents and my German mother and relatives and have therefore always been aware of how much dramatic change has occured on the continent, especially so in Germany and neighbouring countries, over a period of only a hundred years. 

I only went for dual citizenship once I heard about the Brexit referendum, even though I had the opportunity for many years. Now or never, I thought. Alarm bells. You learm from history. 

Yes, I would really think of relinquishing British citizenship if that was necessary for us to remain European citizens.  

We might indeed divorce, but frankly we've been together long enough that we've pissed each other off about as much as we're ever likely to to, so it doesn't seem like a particularly clear and present danger. Our kids are adults and doing their own thing, so we only have ourselves to think of.

I would feel incredibly sad about giving up British citizenship, of course, but then I feel incredibly sad about having my European citizenship stripped from me too.

48 minutes ago, RelativeDimensions said:

European citizenship

Is there such a thing as European citizenship? In your and my case there's only British and/or German citizenship. If the EU breaks up all you have left is the citizenship you have opted for. 

@bramble

No, there is no such thing as a "European" citizenship in any formal sense.

It's just a loosely-used phrase.

The EU has only national citizenships.

Relax.

I am relaxed. I have dual British/German citizenship in the meantime. I was responding to RelativeDimensions, who seems to think that there is such a thing as European citizenship. 

23 minutes ago, bramble said:

I am relaxed. I have dual British/German citizenship in the meantime. I was responding to RelativeDimensions, who seems to think that there is such a thing as European citizenship. 

As a citizen of a member state, I am a citizen of the EU insofar as I have a lot of rights which stem from being a citizen of an EU member state. When the UK leaves the EU, I will lose those rights. 

Saying "EU citizenship" pretty much covers all that in a lot fewer words, but is obviously not strictly correct in any legal sense. 

5 minutes ago, RelativeDimensions said:

As a citizen of a member state, I am a citizen of the EU insofar as I have a lot of rights which stem from being a citizen of an EU member state. When the UK leaves the EU, I will lose those rights. 

Saying "EU citizenship" pretty much covers all that in a lot fewer words, but is obviously not strictly correct in any legal sense. 

I love how you say things that are incorrect and then try to avoid admitting it... :)