Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,882 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bobbylines said:

No danger whatsoever!I am now German/British for life,only if i want a third citizenship would i have problems as the lady explained today

You should really read the second last page of your British passport, point 7.

15 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You should really read the second last page of your British passport, point 7.

Have read it,don,t see any problems,what,s your point?

5 minutes ago, bobbylines said:

Have read it,don,t see any problems,what,s your point?

Citizenship can be taken.

34 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Citizenship can be taken.

Asylum and Nationality Act 2006:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration,_Asylum_and_Nationality_Act_2006

Citzenship and Right of Abode:

The Act contains several provisions empowering the Home Secretary to deprive a person of British citizenship (or Right of Abode) if it is considered that such deprivation is "conducive to the public good".

But @bobbylines would have to be quite misbehaved for this to happen. 

18 hours ago, europaeuropa said:

For those from the UK who already have their dual citizenship with Germany, is this dual citizenship entitlement life-long? I mean, even if Brexit concludes in 2+ years, you still retain a lifelong entitlement to the 2nd citizenship/ passport that you already have, and you are completely unaffected by brexit dual citizenship wise?  

I think the point is... nobody can say for sure. Just today NDR reports some German politician saying that dual nationality prevents integration and should be prevented / stopped. 

His context was Germany / Turkey. But one day UK will no longer be EU either.

Who knows? 

Retroactive legislation (Rückwirkung) is forbidden by the German constitution. At the moment, dual citizenship is permitted, if the other country, that you are a citizen of, is a member of the EU. That means that if you have been awarded German citizenship while being citizen of another EU country, say Britain, and the law is changed to stop dual citizenship, you cannot be deprived of your dual citizenship, as that would be retroactive legislation. However, if you were to seek German citizenship after the law has been passed, then the law would apply.

For Britons who are interested in becoming German citizens and keeping their British citizenship, the window of opportunity is almost certainly only two years after Article 50 has been invoked. So if you are eligible, you must apply for citizenship as soon as possible. Bear in mind that you need to gather documents, pass the German test for immigrants and pass the citizenship test. These all take time, so leaving your application until three months before Britain leaves the EU in March 2019 is almost certainly too late. Good luck!

Tip: to get information about citizenship for your area. Google "Einbürgerung" and the Bundesstaat or city where you live. In my case it is Freiburg.

31 minutes ago, kenlive said:

At the moment, dual citizenship is permitted, if the other country, that you are a citizen of, is a member of the EU. That means that if you have been awarded German citizenship while being citizen of another EU country, say Britain, and the law is changed to stop dual citizenship, you cannot be deprived of your dual citizenship, as that would be retroactive legislation.

That's not per se correct. One could for example slip a line in somewhere around §29 StAG that people who were naturalized under §10 also become optionspflichtig "once the excepting preconditions of §12 no longer apply" or similar. Simple change of law, not retroactive. Would be a bit on the conservative side of things politically, but not a far-out concept and comparably pretty simple to pass.

2 hours ago, kenlive said:

Retroactive legislation (Rückwirkung) is forbidden by the German constitution.

I wish you were right. There were cases in which laws were changed retro effectively. E. g. tax laws.

14 hours ago, kato said:

That's not per se correct. One could for example slip a line in somewhere around §29 StAG that people who were naturalized under §10 also become optionspflichtig "once the excepting preconditions of §12 no longer apply" or similar. Simple change of law, not retroactive. Would be a bit on the conservative side of things politically, but not a far-out concept and comparably pretty simple to pass.

Best informed view on this (important!) issue I have ever read on TT.

If May gets a defeat tomorrow and current EU citizens in the U.K. get entrenched rights, I am wondering what benefit we will get here.

Simply as a gesture, it couldn't but give DEU politicians (Greens/SDP) good arguments for treating us nicely?

These guys made some encouraging noises just after the Referendum e.g. giving "young Brits" DEU citizenship.

14 hours ago, kato said:

I do remember a BBC article (search for it) in which the correspondent had spoken to "someone at a Ministry" who had confirmed dual-passport Brits wouldn't have to give one up in the future.

3 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

If May gets a defeat tomorrow and current EU citizens in the U.K. get entrenched rights, I am wondering what benefit we will get here.

Simply as a gesture, it couldn't but give DEU politicians (Greens/SDP) good arguments for treating us nicely?

These guys made some encouraging noises just after the Referendum e.g. giving "young Brits" DEU citizenship.

The question you have to ask yourself is do Brits make the Germans feel good about themselves? The answer is probably no so no one will jump over hoops to keep us here.

21 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The question you have to ask yourself is do Brits make the Germans feel good about themselves? The answer is probably no so no one will jump over hoops to keep us here.

Would it be possible for Germany to take away a citizen's passport?

10 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Yes

Who told you that?

It is generally very hard to revoke a person's citizenship without having a very good reason.

Currently you have to have gone broad to fight as a terrorist before it can happen. Murder, rape etc do not seem to be cause for revoking citizenship.

1 minute ago, Harold Beckwith said:

Who told you that?

It is generally very hard to revoke a person's citizenship without having a very good reason.

Currently you have to have gone broad to fight as a terrorist before it can happen. Murder, rape etc do not seem to be cause for revoking citizenship.

It is very hard but not impossible. You asked if it was possible and the answer is yes.

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It is very hard but not impossible. You asked if it was possible and the answer is yes.

Just asking as I thought I read on the forum that once you have German citizenship hey cannot take it away from you.. 

4 minutes ago, Harold Beckwith said:

Just asking as I thought I read on the forum that once you have German citizenship hey cannot take it away from you.. 

They can take it away from you. Citizenship laws can also change.

I am now officially a British/German citizen!!!!!!

I handed in my citizenship application in December 2016, my B1 certificate arrived in January 2017 and my Einbürgerung test I completed in  the first week of March.  

The whole process was very smooth and the Landesamt made it very clear what was needed to have a successful application. The whole B1 test was stressful, but I am glad it is all behind me.  Theresa May can do what she wants this week with Article 50, I don't care anymore (well I do care, but I can sleep a bit easier now).

Good luck to all the other ToyTowoner's that are also applying at the moment.