Brexit / Applying for German citizenship

1,671 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

You must be in the right part of the world!

I started in September 2015, handover appointment in March 2016.

I was told it can take up to 2 years.

I organised a permanent residence permit at the same time, which they then took off me (as I no longer need it). If you application is taking a while to go through, maybe look into the residence permit. The documentation you need for that is pretty similar to the citizenship application.

21 hours ago, cb6dba said:

I was told it can take up to 2 years.

I organised a permanent residence permit at the same time, which they then took off me (as I no longer need it). If you application is taking a while to go through, maybe look into the residence permit. The documentation you need for that is pretty similar to the citizenship application.

Thanks.  I will keep permanent residence in mind.

I have done my bit for DEU population growth (DEU/UK child) and do not labour under the delusion that Brexit means I will be kicked out of DEU.  But I will be really happy if I get my DEU passport and can keep my UK one.

From all I have heard and read (I presume you applied in Dresden), it is where you apply that is making a difference.  Big centres are working full tilt on asylum-seekers and I know in Munich that its one and the same department wading through thousands of asylum and passport applications.

1 hour ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Thanks.  I will keep permanent residence in mind.

I have done my bit for DEU population growth (DEU/UK child) and do not labour under the delusion that Brexit means I will be kicked out of DEU.  But I will be really happy if I get my DEU passport and can keep my UK one.

From all I have heard and read (I presume you applied in Dresden), it is where you apply that is making a difference.  Big centres are working full tint on asylum-seekers and I know in Munich that its one and the same department wading through thousands of asylum and passport applications.

From various chats (with old colleagues in different cities who know people in this environment) workload is a big factor. No extra resources were provided and they were expected to just get on with it.

On the bright side, the process should only take up to two years and they have not triggered article 50 yet.

You could call the ampt and ask them what happens if the UK leaves the EU and your already submitted application has not been completed.

Either the date of the application is considered, or the date the application was completed.

2 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

You could call the ampt and ask them what happens if the UK leaves the EU and your already submitted application has not been completed.

Don't call the Amt. @More tea, Vicar? has already received the polite request from them not to bother them anymore as it would only serve to clog up the backlog and the process even more. Anyway, as far as the consequences of Brexit goes, I presume they don't know anymore than we do. He has to patiently wait his turn.

1 minute ago, bramble said:

Don't call the Amt. @More tea, Vicar? has already received the polite request from them not to bother them anymore as it would only serve to clog up the backlog and the process even more. Anyway, as far as the consequences of Brexit goes, I presume they don't know anymore than we do. He has to patiently wait his turn.

Ah ok.. I was not aware of that.

4 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Ah ok.. I was not aware of that.

I read it here:

Here it is again below, bramble is right.  Don't want to risk an "even-slower-go-slow" with my application:

Hiermit bestätigen wir den Eingang Ihrer E-Mail.

Die Wartezeiten auf die Termine zur Antragstellung betragen durchschnittlich acht Monate.Unsere Mitarbeiterinnen und Mitarbeiter arbeiten mit Hochdruck an der Abarbeitung der Rückstände. Um diese dabei zu unterstützen, bitten wir Sie von Rückfragen zu Ihrem Antrag möglichst abzusehen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ihre Einbürgerungs-/Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde

In my defence my employer expects to do the paid work along side the helpful stuff I like to give :-)

On 1/30/2017, 8:45:14, RenegadeFurther said:

In March the negotiations begin. No one has any clue what the negotiations will be.

Latest noise from the home office is that those who arrived after 23rd June 2015 might not be able to settle in the UK, regardless of when the UK leaves the EU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renegade : I hope this was a mistake any you meant 23rd June 2016!  I arrived in April 2016 so I could be well and truly stuffed!! Incidentally, where does this rumour come from? It would be at odds with what the PM has been saying, i.e. she says she wants to guarentee all existing  EU nationals a future in the UK.    

On 1/30/2017, 8:45:14, RenegadeFurther said:

Hamburger Abendblatt reports that in 2016 there were 280 Brits applying for German citizenship

in Hamburg compared to 52 in 2015. Expected reason behind the 5 fold increase - Brexit.

Today is the day they all get have the Einbürgerungsfestakt in the Rathaus - Festsaal.

German newspaper  : 

Abendblatt

12 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Yes it was a mistake. I meant 23rd June 2016. You should be fined but no one knows.  

I think people who qualify should get citizenship anyway. It means you can vote here and carrying an Auswess can make your life a little easier

I just got my German citizenship in Berlin/ Pankow. Realtively easy process (I am an EU citizen). It took 11 months. Pankow is an awkward place to do the process as the people are very unhelpful and you have to do all the texts in Xberg or Friedshain anyway. Xberg is the easiest place to do the whole process.

- 1st interview march 2016, got lots of paper to fill in and forms to find. Surprisingly easy.

- Einburgerungstest in April 2016. Really easy, IMHO if you fail after living here for 8 years you should go home. (I didnt need the langauge test, although I didnt have the paperwork she recognised/admitted/conceeded that I was fluent)

- Citizenship in January 2017

QQ, can I start an application to my local Rathaus without all papers, and add them to the application step by step?

I am keen to get the application started, but it will take time with German certificate and getting other docs together.

Or do I need to gather all required docs before I make a visit?

Thankyouplease

B

The local Rathaus will want you to hand in all the documents together, which they will check together with you at your appointment if all is complete before forwarding the complete application to the Kreisamt for further processing. Only then will the application process get started. 

Does anyone know if there is anyway out of taking the B1 exam. I tried to learn German for 3 months and i think there is no way I could pass the B1 exam. If you fail the B1 exam is that it and you can´t get residency ? 

I don't think there is a way around it,there is a special course you can take that prepares you for the test and it's pretty easy to pass.

On 3.2.2017, 10:46:47, HH_Sailor said:

Hamburger Abendblatt reports that in 2016 there were 280 Brits applying for German citizenship

in Hamburg compared to 52 in 2015. Expected reason behind the 5 fold increase - Brexit.

280 is ridiculously low for a city of 1.7 million.

Heidelberg, at 156,000 people, had 46 British applying for German citizenship in 2016 - up from ... zero in 2015. The difference in applications for German citizenship between 2015 and 2016 almost exactly matches that number btw.

1 hour ago, bobbylines said:

I don't think there is a way around it,there is a special course you can take that prepares you for the test and it's pretty easy to pass.

If I keep flunking the b1exam what will happen? Will I lose my right to work? Will the state take care of my daughter?