Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Modify DSL-Anschluss in Speedport W 723V?

9 posts in this topic

I moved to my current house four years ago (same city, just different side of the tracks) and moved my existing Telekom contract to the new house.  I have the "Call & Surf Comfort IP (5)" tariff and use a Speedport W 723V DSL modem.  The tariff I have provides up to 16000kBit/s downstream and 1024kBit/s upstream service.  At my previous house, I had the same tariff, but had the older Speedport 500V (or something like that) modem.  I consistently had about 14000kBit/s downstream and 950kBit/s upstream service.

As I was planning the move, I coordinated with Telekom to ensure I kept the same phone numbers and Internet service.  The Telekom tech told me he could not verify what speed I would have at the new address because the current owner was not a Telekom customer.  I asked if any of the other houses on the same street were Telekom customers so he could verify the speed, but he didn't seem to understand the question.

After the move, and apparently successful transfer of the contract, Telekom mailed me a Speedport W 723V DSL modem and I was up and running.  I immediately observed my service was much slower than what was stated in the tariff, but the clever Telekom tech told me the tariff provided "up to", not "at least", 16000kBit/s service.  He added that there was no immediate plan to upgrade the service in my area, even though it is a new (less than ten years old) neighborhood.

Now it's 2016, and VDSL is available at houses less than 500 meters from me, but I'm still chugging along with the equivalent of stone knives and bear skins.  This week I contacted Telekom again and resurrected my old email traffic asking about increasing my DSL speed.  Strangely enough, the same Telekom rep I communicated with four years ago answered my email and was happy to help.  However, in order to enjoy up to 16000kBit/s DSL speed, I should upgrade to the Magenta Zuhause S tariff and upgrade to the Speedport W 724V.  The new tariff is a bit more expensive than my current tariff and the rental on the new DSL modem is about €5 per month.  My last email to Telekom was asking the rep to explain why it's necessary to change my tariff and buy a different DSL modem, when my current tariff and modem are (or should be) adequate.

Here is my question, hence the title of this thread.  Is the DSL-Anschluss entry in the Speedport a fixed setting and can it be changed?  I attached a screenshot of the configuration screen showing the downstream and upstream values.  When I entered the "Konfiguration" menu, I can't find any screen that allows me to change the values.  These numbers are higher than what I actually see when I run the speedtest.net checks.  The normal for my setup now is 2.8Mb/s downstream and .3Mb/s upstream.

Telekom has been quick to reply, and even called twice (left messages on my answering machine), but it will likely be Monday before Telekom replies to my last email.  I will certainly appreciate it if anyone can help or answer my question or can comment on similar experiences.

Speedport-1.jpg

That's the gross DSL sync speed. Because a number of different protocols are involved in an Internet download you have to deal with overheads and because there may be some reserve for QoS it is totally normal to get slower net download speeds.

You are right in the assumption that you should be able to switch to different (higher) DSL speeds without a change in contract if you stay within the 16 Mbit/s allowed by your tariff. It can usually be done via the Kundencenter. IIRC it's somewhere under "Anschluss & Tarif". There should be options to change DSL speed with and without tariff change. You can keep the W723v.

Pester and pester telekom... claim that many many calls are "Dropped"    

You have a VOIP" service which relies on the inernet....   Moan moan moan.... Telekom Hilft on FB... nag nag nag!!

Also... log into Telekom website and do an availabillity check... You will also see "Hybrid"....   Check out that option...

Regards

SP

Thanks Sneaker and SP!  I checked my account in the Kundencenter, but didn't see anything that would allow me to change my speed without changing to a different tariff.  Last night, I sent another email to Telekom and included the screen shot above, as well as a screen shot of my tariff statement in the Kundencenter.

I did see the hybrid option, and have LTE access in my house, at least on my iPhone.

Here you go... 

Upto 100Mbps...

John.png

Telekom agreed to change my data speed without modification to the existing tariff or upgrade of the Speedport.

@SpiderPig I was going to change to the MZH-M tariff, but the Telekom rep talked me out of it.  He told me the 50Mb/s VDSL is moving closer to me and will be available before the end of 2016.  I can live with 16Mb/s until then.

22 minutes ago, JG52 said:

Telekom agreed to change my data speed without modification to the existing tariff or upgrade of the Speedport.

@SpiderPig I was going to change to the MZH-M tariff, but the Telekom rep talked me out of it.  He told me the 50Mb/s VDSL is moving closer to me and will be available before the end of 2016.

I would not trust these reps. Darmstadt already has VDSL for the most part, it's not usual for it to simply "move closer". The build-out is not growing like an organism but usually Telekom upgrades the complete town or area with identical area code. If your area already has VDSL but not at your address you may simply be too far from the next cabinet or exchange and Telekom is unlikely to care about it. While there is a (small) possibility for Telekom to be planning to make its fiber network more dense you would need to have very detailed information about the network and the rollout plans to promise anyone an upgrade at the end of 2016. A rep will usually not have this information as he is not the person planning it.

If you are living in a smaller town outside of Darmstadt things might be different, though. You should be able to see plans then if you enter your town's name into the map on http://telekom.de/schneller and see the planned dates for upgrades.

@jg52  The Telekom guys you talkto on the phone have no idea... they can see  an "Indication of time" but this is just a forcast!

Make the change now and then change again when True DSL is available!... they wont charge for the second upgrade and will get you off their LTE service which is expensive for them!!

I live in a small town south of Darmstadt and checked the website for my coverage.  From what I can translate, it appears there are no plans to extend the VDSL coverage to my area through 2016.  The best I can hope for is the 16Mb/s hybrid service, which is clearly shown in the Telekom coverage map.  However, Telekom did come through with its promise of a no cost upgrade to 16Mb/s service and no change to my tariff.  The increase is definitely noticeable, and I will change to the hybrid service.  Thanks again sneaker and SP!!!