Heart attack at the age of 41

279 posts in this topic

Well it looks like I am either completely screwed or I have a moron as a cardiologist. According to the latest blood test my reading for lipoprotein a are completely off the charts 6 times above the Recommend limit. This lipoprotein thing is completely genetic so according to the Dr I should accept that I am screwed. I really am not sure what I should do now. If what caused me to have a heart attack is completely genetic do I just now pack up and go home ?

According to this page isn't it a bit soon to be testing for Lipids.

In general, lipids should not be measured during a fever or major infection, within 4 weeks of an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), a stroke, or major surgery, after excessive alcohol intake, when you have severely uncontrolled diabetes, when you are pregnant, or during rapid weight loss.

I personally hope to get a stroke at 45 and die from it.

I currently spend my life updating excel sheets at day, try to watch 1-2 good shows a night, go 1-2  budget-savvy datenights with my husband per week. I save for a few holidays per year. All that so that I have some form of comfortable retirement. I have no children, no siblings, no real friends since I moved to Germany. 

I wish  I could screw the job, fuck retirement savings, live to the fullest , explore the world, be financially irresponsible and then croke up and die at 45 with 0 in the bank account. I'd only feel guilty for my parents if they were still alive. But then again, I'd be dead. My husband is very strong, he could keep living and find another good partner, or maybe he would kill himself as well.

What more can I achieve living life at 30km/h for the next 40-50 years that I could not achieve living 150km/h in the next 10 years. 

I don't hate life and I don't think I am depressed, I just don't see the purpose of living for so long on meds or half-ass because of retirement.

Sorry, my post is completely off-topic. Perhaps generous people in my position would donate their spare-time to charities. I don't have any inclination to do so. I just would like to travel, see a lot of landscapes, and then die.

EDIT: so clearly in OP's position I would quit my job, pack my bag, do the world tour, finish in the US, buy a gun, and R.I-Mother fuckin Peace.

21 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Well it looks like I am either completely screwed or I have a moron as a cardiologist. According to the latest blood test my reading for lipoprotein a are completely off the charts 6 times above the Recommend limit. This lipoprotein thing is completely genetic so according to the Dr I should accept that I am screwed. I really am not sure what I should do now. If what caused me to have a heart attack is completely genetic do I just now pack up and go home ?

I would suggest to go to the nearest Uni Klinik with a lipid speciality once you get a proper blood test result and it is still high. Uni Nürnberg doesn't seem to have one specifically so perhaps calling the Cardiology or the Nephrology department will get you more info. Depending on how they are organized, one or the other would be responsible for lipid disorders.

54 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

I personally hope to get a stroke at 45 and die from it.

I currently spend my life updating excel sheets at day, try to watch 1-2 good shows a night, go 1-2  budget-savvy datenights with my husband per week. I save for a few holidays per year. All that so that I have some form of comfortable retirement. I have no children, no siblings, no real friends since I moved to Germany. 

I wish  I could screw the job, fuck retirement savings, live to the fullest , explore the world, be financially irresponsible and then croke up and die at 45 with 0 in the bank account. I'd only feel guilty for my parents if they were still alive. But then again, I'd be dead. My husband is very strong, he could keep living and find another good partner, or maybe he would kill himself as well.

What more can I achieve living life at 30km/h for the next 40-50 years that I could not achieve living 150km/h in the next 10 years. 

I don't hate life and I don't think I am depressed, I just don't see the purpose of living for so long on meds or half-ass because of retirement.

Sorry, my post is completely off-topic. Perhaps generous people in my position would donate their spare-time to charities. I don't have any inclination to do so. I just would like to travel, see a lot of landscapes, and then die.

EDIT: so clearly in OP's position I would quit my job, pack my bag, do the world tour, finish in the US, buy a gun, and R.I-Mother fuckin Peace.

Just wondering if there´s a bucket list thread on TT!

I think we all need a cocktail of living for today and some planning for the future. There´s no point in putting off all the things in life you really want - just do it. And slow down...( I´ve spent most of my life ignoring my own advice..)

vmelchers - you don't list a Verein. Remember that all meaningful life experience in Germany comes from belonging to a Verein. Then you will be looking forward to the next 50 years of pole-dancing/singing/gliding with your new crowd of best buddies, and have no desire to live a short life in the fast lane.

OP has had a difficult medical prognosis.  VM self indulgently waxes lyrical about living lite to the full and buying a gun to someone vulnerable and in a health situation she has no clue about.  SP is right to tell her to stop being a cunt.

Wow Melchers... You need to shut the hell up.

Claiming you're scrimping and saving for retirement while enjoying TWO date nights PER WEEK, as well as going on MULTIPLE holidays per year??! If only the rest of us mere mortals could be so "unfortunate"- Anyone ACTUALLY budgeting for their future tend to enjoy only a fraction of such luxuries. But A for effort, trying to convince people you have it hard in anyway.

More importantly, your post is simply inconsiderate, insensitive, and completely inappropriate for such a thread. You seriously owe OP an apology. The only thing appropriate about your post is your acknowledgement that is really doesn't belong in this thread.

I'm almost inclined to hope you actually do get your wish for your future...

I gave vmelchers a green for entertainment value on a thread which covers serious questions and needs a smile or two.  Even if you don't agree with her, she's lightened the moment.

I think Vmelchers' post is just fine, but on the wrong thread.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and if that is how she would like to go, then it's not really anything to do with anybody else.

On the other hand, I don't have the impression that Renegade shares V's thoughts or intentions, but is rather coping with the shock of discovering he has a heart condition at such a young age.

Sure, it will bring changes in his life, and cause him to re-think some aspects of his current situation, but I very much doubt he will chuck in his job and go travelling!

Each to his own, I guess!

I think Vmelcher may also have to watch out with her frustration in life..that is exactly one of the reasons why people get ill:

I also seriously believe humour is a great anti-stress (need a noun here! Can´t remember any ).

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎29‎ ‎12‎:‎11‎:‎09‎, RenegadeFurther said:

@vmelchers-  this did not lighten my day.  It does sound as if you hate life, and depressed. Maybe you meant it as a joke.

My father reminded me of an incident- I must have been 14 yrs old. I told him- he could not understand , he was too old.( He was 45 years old)

You are obviously young, so cannot imagine that life  can be fun after 40, 50, 60, 70...

Good health is up there, plus family, friends and love. If you want to travel, do things- then go ahead and do it.   You have  a job, money, and youth.   I have travelled and worked in 4 different continents- not always good pay and usual nursing stress. But, I saw places, people, travelled,   and have so many wonderful memories. And the travelling is not over.

Do not sit back and gripe about life- get out there and make it work for you.

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Sorry to hear of  new fears and worry.  Agree - ask for 2nd opinion. There are many other meds  available. 

Also, various trials/research is querying   the impact of certain blood levels.

You have come so far, doing well. Try and keep stress levels low and   discuss with MD.

I apologize for my insensitive remarks. I did not know OP had a daughter. I do believe children give a different sense of purpose to life. I owe everything to my father, he raised me without my mother being present. So for the sake of this, I am truly sorry for sharing my dark thoughts on this post. Health scares, once treated, can lead to amazing new beginnings and transformations because of the impact they have on our lives. I hope yours is manageable and results in many more healthy years with your loved ones. 

I had a health scare in my early 20s. Actually i thought I wouldn't make it. I didn't think I deserved to make it, truth be told. When I did pull myself out of the situation, I transformed my life and I recall now that part of coming to Germany is actually born from that "seize the moment" , "I could be dead, I only live once" aftershock. It was the best decision of my life. Most of my life's best decision are an outcome of having emerged from that very dark period of my life.

Somehow, I seem to have forgotten this recently, otherwise I wouldn't have posted that crap. Alarm bells going off, probably should do some introspection...

I must not think of myself so highly if I think my existence is so meaningless that it should be terminated early. That's sad. I'm all fucked up. I'm sorry about my post.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I also seriously believe humour is a great anti-stress (need a noun here! Can´t remember any ).

Perhaps, humour is a great anti-stress vitamin?

55 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

I apologize for my insensitive remarks. I did not know OP had a daughter. I do believe children give a different sense of purpose to life. I owe everything to my father, he raised me without my mother being present. So for the sake of this, I am truly sorry for sharing my dark thoughts on this post. Health scares, once treated, can lead to amazing new beginnings and transformations because of the impact they have on our lives. I hope yours is manageable and results in many more healthy years with your loved ones. 

I had a health scare in my early 20s. Actually i thought I wouldn't make it. I didn't think I deserved to make it, truth be told. When I did pull myself out of the situation, I transformed my life and I recall now that part of coming to Germany is actually born from that "seize the moment" , "I could be dead, I only live once" aftershock. It was the best decision of my life. Most of my life's best decision are an outcome of having emerged from that very dark period of my life.

Somehow, I seem to have forgotten this recently, otherwise I wouldn't have posted that crap. Alarm bells going off, probably should do some introspection...

I must not think of myself so highly if I think my existence is so meaningless that it should be terminated early. That's sad. I'm all fucked up. I'm sorry about my post.

Sometimes we need to let off steam,  rant and rage against this world. ( Sorry Dylan Thomas). Don't stress the post- maybe you needed this to remind you to "seize the moment".  Work takes so much of our time, and we need to remember how to enjoy life.  "Work to live, and NOT Live to work".

Spring is here- get out, take trips, walk, smell the ocean! ( OOps- sorry- you are too far from the sea!)

You have a partner, you have worth and you have value.   Best wishes.