Heart attack at the age of 41

279 posts in this topic

I had a problem with beta blockers once, they sent my blood pressure down to 70/50 which gave me tunnel vision. It was fine once they reduced the dose.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

A beta blocker called Metoprolol (Metohexal) and a lower cholesterol drug called Sortis.Has anyone had any experience with these types of drugs ?

It is the lower cholesterol drug which is causing the most symptoms, dizziness, slurry speech, I have tried speaking to my Dr about it but I get the same reply, you need these drugs. I will bring it up at the cardio rehab center but I am not so convinced that it is compulsory to keep on with the beta blockers and lower cholesterol tablets. Whatever happened to an old fashioned run and eating healthy ?

About 15 years ago, my blood pressure went up to 200/120 and I was put on blood pressure tablets and a beta blocker, which I'm still on and will probably be for the rest of my life, no matter how healthy I get.  I was also put on cholesterol medication at one point, but after learning how to deal with stress and changing some things in my diet, I was able to come off that one again after about a year and am really happy as I found it didn't suit me at all.

It takes time to get it right, we're all different and the reasons are usually different, but you'll learn to manage it and I've no doubt you'll be feeling better again in a little while.

On 2/29/2016, 10:11:09, RenegadeFurther said:

I am sitting in a hospital bed and wondering how I managed to get a heart attack at the age of 41. I have had a stent inserted but I have no idea what the recovery looks like. Has anybody in Toytown recovered from a heart attack and what life changes they made.

Me! Really nothing to it. Only I was 75 (12 years ago) when it happened and had pancreatitis and had my gall bladder removed. Had a slight stroke a few years ago and now I'm a major supporter of the pharma industry (take 5 different pills and rat poison a day)and the Medical establishment. I'm on a low fat diet and short rationed on a lot of things. But them are the things.

Change your thinking and drinking and live a while longer, that's what I'm doing. But then I'm married to a registered nurse which changes things a little and you have to learn to listen and gehorchen. Hope you recover soon and slow down but keep going. My son bought me a pair of running shoes to walk daily around the block, so that's what I do now and then. Greetings from Canada, gaberlunzi

P.S. and ignore the reds people give you on TT!

RF,If it interests you, the cocktail of pills I have to take daily is:

40MG ATORVASTATIN CALCIUM
5MG RAMIPRIL
2.5MG METOPROLOL TARTRATE
40MG PANTOPRAZOLE SODIUM
TARO-WARFARIN 3MG
(warfarin sodium)

I have been warned that statins are cancer causing, but have a choice of dying sooner by not taking it or taking a chance of dying later of cancer. Due to my age I decided to take it and die later.(that was 12 years ago) So far so good.
Wafarin is a common rat poison, only to be taken in small doses. (Iwas on 5MG but they reduced it to 3MG)

Thanks for your reply gabers. I am still 41 so I would like to try to get better the old fashioned way. Excercise and a healthy diet. I am not a big fan of going straight on pills without trying to get healthy with excercise. I go to the cardio rehab center tomorrow for 3 weeks so I will try to keep people here who are interested posted. 

5 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Thanks for your reply gabers. I am still 41 so I would like to try to get better the old fashioned way. Excercise and a healthy diet. I am not a big fan of going straight on pills without trying to get healthy with excercise. I go to the cardio rehab center tomorrow for 3 weeks so I will try to keep people here who are interested posted. 

Good luck- and be sure to maintain the positive attitude. Exercise gives you the best "high" imaginable anyway. If your doctor OKs them, I heartily recommend nuts and avocadoes.

10 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Try looking into the Paleo diet and going gluten-free. If you read the reviews of Wheat Belly on Amazon.com (and I've read nearly 2,000 reviews so far), you will read that many of them lowered their cholesterol and blood pressure and even cleared up diabetes Type 2 by cutting out the gluten.

And get something like this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Primer-Jump-Start-Primally/dp/1939563046

Because, basically, doctors are so out of date here in Germany, it's ludicrous. They're giving my aunt in Berlin advice on her diverticulitis that hasn't been issued in the US since the mid-1950s. So.. only 60 years out of date.

I consulted doctors for 15 years in the UK and here about my symptoms and not one of them managed to diagnose my underlying problem. They just treated symptoms.

When I recently talked to my GP while getting a vaccination, he said he didn't believe that diet had any effect on health. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And this is supposed to be a GP who is praised for his diagnostic ability.

So.. I wouldn't rely on doctors. Do your own research and listen to other patients who have succeeded in curing themselves. Doctors have normally never suffered from what their patients have suffered so know nothing about the illness other than what they have read in some out-of-date text book.

On 12/03/2016, 12:18:47, RenegadeFurther said:

Whatever happened to an old fashioned run and eating healthy ?

Doctors can't make money if they can't prescribe you drugs and treatment. Always remember that. Plus, they always treat symptoms. If they treated the underlying cause of the symptoms, then the problem would clear up and they would make no money from you.

My father had heart problems and also did not want on medicines (I can't remember if he was on 3 or 4 to start).  In the end they agreed that while he changed his lifestyle, to stay on the medicines and go in for quarterly blood checks.  As he hit "milestones", the doctor reduced his medicines to just the one he is on today.

Changing your lifestyle may or may not allow you to stop all medications.  Find a doctor who will listen to you and work with you and your concerns.  It may be hard but it's not impossible. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎18‎:‎47‎, RenegadeFurther said:

So, it has been just over one week since I have left hospital. I am booked into the cardio rehab center next week for 3 weeks. I genuinely feel okay with the possible exception of 2 drugs which I have been taken. A beta blocker called Metoprolol (Metohexal) and a lower cholesterol drug called Sortis.Has anyone had any experience with these types of drugs ?

It is the lower cholesterol drug which is causing the most symptoms, dizziness, slurry speech, I have tried speaking to my Dr about it but I get the same reply, you need these drugs.

No experience on those drugs, sorry. But on my first day of ACE inhibitors I collapsed due to low blood pressure... I had taken half of the dosage my doctor prescribed because I thought it seemed like too much. Turned out that even half of the prescribed dosage was far too much for me, thus the collapse.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎23‎:‎56‎, Uncle Nick said:

I had a problem with beta blockers once, they sent my blood pressure down to 70/50 which gave me tunnel vision. It was fine once they reduced the dose.

This.

I hope it works out for you soon that you find a balance with minimal side-effects.

*edit: and to add, the good diet & exercise part is done in parallel and before you know it you won't need the meds. Not sure exactly how it's supposed to work logistically, but in my case I stopped taking the meds one year when I gave up alcohol for lent. I kept monitoring my blood pressure and it stayed in a zone I was happy with, even after returning to the occasional tipple...

So second day of cardio rehab and just finished some water gymnastics.  After the first test of the heart the cardio surgeon said if I want I can go off the beta blockers now as my heart beat Is well within the range. I guess this is a good sign.

The bad news is it seems that my cardio surgeon is a statin junkie and is insisting that I take statins the rest of my life. Has anyone here had any bad experience with statins. Maybe a low dose I could handle but if my cholesterol is dropping do I really need the drug ?

Hi as I said earlier, I started on a basic statin and developed muscle pains so I was put on 1/2 of 10mg/10mg Inegy tablet that was supposed to be better, it was. To be honest don't have any side effects - take an aspirin a day as well. I was told the dose was very low a couple of years ago so stopped  the tablets for two weeks - it didn't significantly effect my cholesterol level  but the doctor said that evidence suggested that chances were better with. To be honest don't see much difference, I watch my weight hardly ever eat junk food - only lean meat and not so much dairy products , drink (red wine in moderation although above latest UK guidelines) and try to keep fitter - walking, cycling etc. Have a check up every year ( must be 10+ years now) and touch wood all ok To be honest when I first hit Germany, too many nights out, exercise was pushing the lift button and and too much cream sauces and junk food on the run. My job could be stressful, but the consultant told me at the time, the stress could have pushed me over the edge - but it wasn't the root cause - hereditary, smoking ( I didn't) and life style. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but Himself's doctors failed to inform him to avoid grapefruit in all forms while taking his statin med. He found out while having a heart attack chat with another survivor who pointed out that he probably shouldn't be drinking that grapefruit Weissbier.

That is also the case for some blood pressure medication. I only found out by actually reading the mini bible that comes with them, which let's face it, hardly anybody does.

It's pretty much a divided opinion on statins. There are a lot of studies that suggest longevity is increased, especially after a heart attack.  But on the other hand the pharma industry lobbies doctors aggressively to overprescribe them.  Check out Dr. Dean Ornish's website, very interesting approach to heart disease.  He was a cardiologist performing lots of bypasses and decided that bypasses do not address the root causes.

My Dad was put on statins as a routine thing after diagnosis with Diabetes, and hasn't got along with them. They make him really grumpy. His cholesterol isn't actually high, so he just lets the doctor prescribe them, and never takes the pills. He has regular blood tests, and if his cholesterol actually gets high, then  he'll change the plan, but for now its better for him to be happy.