Heart attack at the age of 41

279 posts in this topic

I do hope you get out of hospital and back on your feet soon. But don't worry too much. My Oma had a heart attack when she was 52 and lived on to be 100.5 years old. She ate a moderate diet, drank little alcohol, did a crossword every day and went for a walk every afternoon.

As someone else has mentioned above, diabetes also increases the chances of a heart attack. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and 6 months later died of a heart attack, all alone in the stairwell of his building. If he had followed the latest advice and drastically reduced his carb intake, he'd be alive today.

Look into books such as Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis and Grain Brain by Dr David Perlmutter. It's not fat that causes heart attacks, but stress and too many carbs.

On 9 March 2013, I tried cutting out food that contained gluten and within 24 hours, the symptoms that had been plaguing me for more than 15 years started to clear up. Since then, I eat loads of eggs and no longer bother with margarine - I now eat butter. And my cholesterol levels have remained rock solid and the envy of my GP. My German aunt who avoids fat and eats carbs with every meal has sky-high cholesterol levels.

Read the reviews for Wheat Belly on Amazon.com and you will see many people reverse their Type 2 diabetes, lower their cholesterol and have many other symptoms improve immensely.

Also, try to relax more. Breathe. Don't push yourself so hard.

Hope you get well soon.

Hope your feeling better. My Dad has more stents in him then seems possible but he is still going strong at 83. Didn't really slow him down.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Look out for number 1 and as the weeks pass and you get over the shock, educate yourself about what assistance is available from your health service provider. Don't try to brave it out and skip checkups or anything like that. Hopefully a well implemented fitness regime and diet will get you back to peak again.

I know from a recent fitness check that I have fatty organs. Bit surprised since I feel extremely fit and don't look too bad. Can be surprising what's lurking inside these bodies.

F*ck man, that's a big punch in the nuts to get.

Take your time and rest. Your body just threw you a warning, listen to it.

You know this means you may have to give up alcohol, meat and all that good tasting stuff right?

Sounds harsh but don't worry, the hospital food is specially designed to kill off any taste buds you may have :-)

Sit back, take your time and get well soon.

51 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

You know this means you may have to give up alcohol, meat and all that good tasting stuff right?

Alcohol maybe, but why meat???

58 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

F*ck man, that's a big punch in the nuts to get.

Take your time and rest. Your body just threw you a warning, listen to it.

Sounds harsh but don't worry, the hospital food is specially designed to kill off any taste buds you may have :-)

Sit back, take your time and get well soon.

Actually a mediterranean diet is the best.  

@RenegadeFurther,

Sad to hear about your condition..but a heart attack can happen to any one as young as 21 and is mostly the genes ..if any of your parent had an attack or a heart condition before, you are highly predisposed to one....Obesity, lack of exercise and sedentary life styles causes cholesterol to deposit in your arteries which is what has blocked and hence a stent inserted..

Now, as you are already on medications (this will continue lifelong), changing your lifestyle is a very very important task ahead for you.. cut down your fries, alcohol and limit your meat content , instead choose an alternative which would boost your health significantly like food containing omega-3 fatty acids like Salmon, olive oil, flax seeds etc..

Consult your doctor regarding regular intake of fish oils capsules and other vitamins which is essential in maintaining cholesterol levels and increase your physical activity (walking every day for 1/2 an hour is good.. but consult your doctor in case you plan other physical exercises)..  

Don't be depressed thinking about the stent and attack, I think  you should be more positive and try to implement the necessary changes in your life!! wishing you a speedy recovery!! and don't forget to stay healthy and exercise!!!

So sorry to hear your news.  I'd say that you are in good medical hands here in Germany especially with reha after your hospital stay. My husband had his first heart attack at 36 and then another 3 thereafter. His stents are plentiful. His early heart attack was mainly caused by over exercising, poor diet, smoking and stress. Despite so many scares, he still doesn't really look after himself well enough no matter how much I nag him.  You're likely to get lots of good advice at reha that'll be along the lines of sensible nutrition, suitable exercise and stress management. I believe the general medication is something like a short term pill to prevent the stent being rejected and then the rest could well be lifelong....low dose aspirin, specific heart med and possibly something for cholesterol and blood pressure if those are issues. I found it quite scary that so many people are unaware of high blood pressure.   You'd also need regular checks by a cardiologist. My husband had a few appointments with not so good cardiologists...it can take a time to find the right one for you.

Its quite a wake up call and might well ultimately improve the quality of your life. 

I wish you all the very best.

After having had myocarditis (8 weeks in hospital) I went to Reha where amongst other things the head doctor said that up to 6 glasses of red wine per week (though not all in one day) is good for the heart and that people living in the region of Bordeaux have the lowest rate of heart attacks in the whole of Europe.

@RenegadeFurther

Didn't have a heart attack but at 55  had serve chest pains (11 years ago) was very lucky as one heart artery was 98% blocked - stent inserted Consultant told me hereditary, exercise (lack of) and diet (I didn't smoke). I changed my diet based on an American Hearty society cholestorol check list and bought a push bike . Today I still have my annual heart check, and a TK 3 monthly cholestorol check - other than the check ups life is  normal although I do sometimes miss the mountains of cheese I used to eat. Have a speedy recovery

Ps didn't give up meat or alcohol or cheese,  but now eat, drink in moderation - junk food stopped altogether

Try and see if they come up with a clearer diagnosis and then follow the instructions to the letter. The sporty/non-drinking (though he is known as the human hoover for his eating capabilities) boyfriend of my sister had a heart attack age 33, and it turned out to be a condition that made his blood clot more easily. In the end he didn't have to change a thing, except adding medication to his daily routine.

The good news is that if you are in good health otherwise (and it sounds like it), there's a good chance you'll make a quick recovery and that you won't have any further issues.

5 hours ago, nina_glyndwr said:

I do hope you get out of hospital and back on your feet soon. But don't worry too much. My Oma had a heart attack when she was 52 and lived on to be 100.5 years old. She ate a moderate diet, drank little alcohol, did a crossword every day and went for a walk every afternoon.

As someone else has mentioned above, diabetes also increases the chances of a heart attack. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and 6 months later died of a heart attack, all alone in the stairwell of his building. If he had followed the latest advice and drastically reduced his carb intake, he'd be alive today.

Look into books such as Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis and Grain Brain by Dr David Perlmutter. It's not fat that causes heart attacks, but stress and too many carbs.

On 9 March 2013, I tried cutting out food that contained gluten and within 24 hours, the symptoms that had been plaguing me for more than 15 years started to clear up. Since then, I eat loads of eggs and no longer bother with margarine - I now eat butter. And my cholesterol levels have remained rock solid and the envy of my GP. My German aunt who avoids fat and eats carbs with every meal has sky-high cholesterol levels.

Read the reviews for Wheat Belly on Amazon.com and you will see many people reverse their Type 2 diabetes, lower their cholesterol and have many other symptoms improve immensely.

Also, try to relax more. Breathe. Don't push yourself so hard.

Hope you get well soon.

Excellent advice, Nina. For everyone. I've not read those books but follow a similar mindset.

Stay away from all foods advertised as "low fat". They may have lower fat content but will be loaded with sugar/carbs as compensation.

Eat as much food as possible "out of the ground", e.g. not processed in any way. All the fruit and veg you can manage.

Get plenty of high protein foods, eggs, lean meats, fish, pulses, etc.

Minimise alcohol and junk food intake to a few times a month if you can't cut them out entirely.

Bread is hard to give up, so stick to whole grain and reduce intake as much as possible if you are not able to leave it.

Thats basically what I do. It's not perfect but it's a pretty good balance of healthy and practicality.

9 minutes ago, Perfect Poise said:

Excellent advice, Nina. For everyone. I've not read those books but follow a similar mindset.

Stay away from all foods advertised as "low fat". They may have lower fat content but will be loaded with sugar/carbs as compensation.

Eat as much food as possible "out of the ground", e.g. not processed in any way. All the fruit and veg you can manage.

Get plenty of high protein foods, eggs, lean meats, fish, pulses, etc.

Minimise alcohol and junk food intake to a few times a month if you can't cut them out entirely.

Bread is hard to give up, so stick to whole grain and reduce intake as much as possible if you are not able to leave it.

Thats basically what I do. It's not perfect but it's a pretty good balance of healthy and practicality.

Also excellent advice, processed food is full of hidden sugars and salt, so should be avoided as much as possible. 

Hope you're back on your feet again soon!

I got really paranoid reading about Renegade and will mend my ways. I often buy fruit and then  " forget " to eat it. Stocked up with fruit today and have promised myself to get it down me every day I don´t like fish much but will have to get used to eating it a couple of times a we:angry:ek.

Thankfully, I love all pulses, eggs and lean meats.

Sorry to hear you've been hit out of the blue, more or less, with this!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!