Heart attack at the age of 41

286 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

I did

Quote:-

"Acute increases in carbohydrate consumption will increase blood insulin concentrations, thereby perhaps increasing total cholesterol and LDL-C production"

"Acute", "perhaps", no exactly very convincing!

Read more than one study to see if you can find some with both stronger and weaker language and then make up your mind.   

if you are interested, trace through the mechanisms, i.e. how the liver processes carbs.   After eating carbs, glycogen in the body can be replenished, but the interesting part if what happens with the excesses and they largely get converted to fat.    With respect to excesses, there are also limits to how much can be absorbed i.e. maximum of around 250 calories per hour.      

I am hardly a low-carb or keto fanatic, but in doing long distance training and events, the idea of training the body to burn fat is practical and in some cases necessary.   

People who eat a diet heavy in pasta, rice, and potatoes and work in an office, are almost certain to end up overweight or obese.  

3 hours ago, balticus said:

People who eat a diet heavy in pasta, rice, and potatoes and work in an office, are almost certain to end up overweight or obese.  

Unless they work it off constantly. ;)

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Unless they work it off constantly. ;)

I guess they type very fast.  ;) 

Unfortunately, more than 25% of the UK is obese. 

I am as skinny as a rake, eat what I want, work in an office...never read dietary tips. I consider myself very fortunate. But I presume I am still in danger of a terrible diagnosis one day.. any day... who knows? We all are, however we live.

In my favour- I do a lot of walking every day- not running, not jogging... walking. And I don‘t overeat.

Wishing Renegade and everyone else on here good luck with their health.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

I guess they type very fast.

They may well get plenty of exercise outside of their working hours. ;)

11 hours ago, lunaCH said:

They may well get plenty of exercise outside of their working hours. ;)

The spikes are harmful though.  

You might find this interesting.   

17 hours ago, balticus said:

I'm not saying you're wrong.

I don't work full time, let alone in an office and my intake of pasta, rice and potatoes is nowhere near heavy so I'm personally not in this category. 

People who do sit in an office all day and get less exercise could be more at risk. If on top of that their diet as you say is 'heavy', then their risk is increased further. 

I think saying they are 'almost certain' to end up obese exclusively due to those factors is a bit much. Most people are already overweight, but this would be more to do with excessive smoking, alcohol, fat and sugar intake coupled with little to no exercise.

23 minutes ago, balticus said:

The spikes are harmful though.

They probably are and their intake needs to be moderated to avoid them.

I have been Ketogenic for two years and lost 20kg in the first six months and have stayed that weight since. No calorie counting or anything, just eating fresh foods and the only carbs or sugar I eat are in vegetables. My partner eats the same and we have both recently had blood tests and our cholesterol levels are great.

I used to suffer from Heißhunger all the time so was obese. When I eat keto I only have two meals per day (16:8 fasting) which is easy as I am not hungry. When we are on holiday we usually eat normally as it is easier and within a day I am constantly hungry and snacking. So for us, Keto works great and we love the taste of the food. All that butter, olive oil, cheese and cream - yum!

as an aside, this is the first time I have agreed with balticus about anything!

3 minutes ago, Auntie Helen said:

I have been Ketogenic for two years and lost 20kg in the first six months and have stayed that weight since. No calorie counting or anything, 

Wow. Congratulations and thanks for sharing !! :)

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

People who do sit in an office all day and get less exercise could be more at risk. If on top of that their diet as you say is 'heavy', then their risk is increased further. 

By "heavy" I mean that the proportion of their diet based on carbs is too high.

I think saying they are 'almost certain' to end up obese exclusively due to those factors is a bit much.

Agree but my opinion is that diet is more important than activity levels.

Most people are already overweight, but this would be more to do with excessive smoking, alcohol, fat ...

In my opinion carbs are more harmful than fat.   There seems to be a notion that saturated fat winds up in the circulatory system almost  in its pre ingested form and it isn't correct.   The French eat nearly twice as much saturated fat as British yet have a lower rate of heart disease.   It is not completely correct to isolate one factor, but automatically categorizing fat as bad is not correct.

1 hour ago, Auntie Helen said:

I have been Ketogenic for two years and lost 20kg in the first six months and have stayed that weight since. 

Congratulations!  👍

1 hour ago, Auntie Helen said:

as an aside, this is the first time I have agreed with balticus about anything!

You're making progress!   😂

4 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Most people are already overweight, but this would be more to do with excessive smoking, alcohol, fat and sugar intake coupled with little to no exercise.

They probably are and their intake needs to be moderated to avoid them.

I was quite a heavy drinker an excessive eater of chocolate and other sweets and a 60 a day cigarette smoker, but I did not put on any weight till I gave up the cigs.10 years after giving up I had put on 20kg and only with a great ongoing struggle have I been able to loose 10 of those kilos, and no I rarely eat chocolate or drink much any more:(!

I've been getting a bit heavier than my very steady weight of 72-74kg. During Corona, eating at home, I dropped from 77kg to 71kg. Not because I was eating less, by the contrary, but because I was eating less crap from cantina.

Mediterranean diet is not only healthy and balanced, but if properly done it also keeps weight down.

And no, Mediterranean diet is NOT pasta!

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I've been getting a bit heavier than my very steady weight of 72-74kg. During Corona, eating at home, I dropped from 77kg to 71kg. Not because I was eating less, by the contrary, but because I was eating less crap from cantina.

Mediterranean diet is not only healthy and balanced, but if properly done it also keeps weight down.

And no, Mediterranean diet is NOT pasta!

What are the main components of your diet and how many meals per day do you eat?

2 hours ago, balticus said:

What are the main components of your diet and how many meals per day do you eat?

Lots of fruits and grains, salads, different types of meat, fish, octopus, squid and other seafood. Everything cooked with Olive oil and no deep frying. Some rice, but not much pasta.

Chickpeas, beans, potatoes and especially 2x a day a thick vegetable soup, usually a mix of broccoli, leek, cauli, etc.

I avoid dairy products and pre processed meats. I use spices in small quantities.

Red wine, green wine at meals. Zero sodas or sugar drinks.

I eat more red meat that the typical mediterranean diet, but usually I go for lean steaks.

As many Portuguese, I actually skip breakfast or have it very lightly, and instead have a mid morning small meal. Main meal is dinner, except on weekends.

29 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Lots of fruits and grains, salads, different types of meat, fish, octopus, squid and other seafood. Everything cooked with Olive oil and no deep frying. Some rice, but not much pasta.

Chickpeas, beans, potatoes and especially 2x a day a thick vegetable soup, usually a mix of broccoli, leek, cauli, etc.

I avoid dairy products and pre processed meats. I use spices in small quantities.

Red wine, green wine at meals. Zero sodas or sugar drinks.

I eat more red meat that the typical mediterranean diet, but usually I go for lean steaks.

As many Portuguese, I actually skip breakfast or have it very lightly, and instead have a mid morning small meal. Main meal is dinner, except on weekends.

Mediterranean diat: Pastizzi, Hobz tal malti dribbled with olive oil, Lampuki and a Cisk.

35 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I actually skip breakfast or have it very lightly, and instead have a mid morning small meal. Main meal is dinner, except on weekends.

I don't know if skipping breakfast is so good. 

Main meal dinner - dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea? :unsure: 

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Consume more earlier in the day and much less later in the day... 

In the Mediterranean people have a little breakfast, e.g. in Italy a cappuccino with a small cake and then two hot meals for the rest of the day. Dinner around 8-9, in Greece also at 10. People tend to become very old, so it can't be that bad :). 

On 7/6/2020, 10:13:56, LukeSkywalker said:

In the Mediterranean people have a little breakfast, e.g. in Italy a cappuccino with a small cake and then two hot meals for the rest of the day. Dinner around 8-9, in Greece also at 10. People tend to become very old, so it can't be that bad :). 

Rather a generalisation though. Not everyone in the Med breakfasts like that. Certainly not from what I have seen. 

What we don't know is if those who are living longer were the ones who skipped/had a lighter breakfast or were those who ate a larger breakfast and lighter meals later in the day. 

As far as I am aware, skipping breakfast can make the body more unstable.

Split topic continues here: Dinner meat at age 41