looking for kindergarten around schwabing

20 posts in this topic

Please give us some tips. We are an international family just moved in town 3 week ago. Are there any kindergartens which the kids love  and the teachers are affectionate? We are looking to get a place  in a bilingual kindergarten for our 3 year old daughter. We managed to put her in a private German kindergarten nearby but had bad experience as the teachers not really care. I understand getting a place in the mid-year is rather difficult. I just thought I´d ask first, if you recommend your kindergarten, and we´ll try our luck.

Are you sure that you've given your current kindergarten enough time? There is an adjustment period (Eingewöhnungsphase) that varies by kid.

Getting into a kindergarten is often just plain luck- e.g., being flexible and your kid being the right age and gender.

When you say "bilingual kindergarten", do you mean Chinese-German or English-German?

Why bilingual?

We speak Portuguese at home and my kid speaks German on the Kindergarten.

Right now he speaks more Portuguese than German, so why do you need it bilingual?

He will pick up German quite fast, no need for bilingual.

8 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Are you sure that you've given your current kindergarten enough time? There is an adjustment period (Eingewöhnungsphase) that varies by kid.

Getting into a kindergarten is often just plain luck- e.g., being flexible and your kid being the right age and gender.

When you say "bilingual kindergarten", do you mean Chinese-German or English-German?

Hi Conquistador thanks for your reply. 

I also thought if I gave enough time for her and the kindergarten. However things didnt getting smooth at all. She actually went to two international kindergartens back in China(because of city change), loved both and with no difficulties in transition. Here she never smiled and even during pickup time she came to me crying. She never slept through the night as before which I also assume too much pressure. The other day I picked her up at 3pm, a kid opened the door for me and my daughter still had diaper on. I talked with the manager but only heard excuses. So we took her out for good. 

We have and she speaks three languages at home but no German. We also thought putting her into German kindergarten can help her integrate into Germany faster. Maybe we are just bad luck with the first kindergarten. I'm quite lost to be honest. 

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Why bilingual?

We speak Portuguese at home and my kid speaks German on the Kindergarten.

Right now he speaks more Portuguese than German, so why do you need it bilingual?

He will pick up German quite fast, no need for bilingual.

Hi Mike thanks for the reply. I guess we just got unlucky with the first private kindergarten. I agree putting her into a German one can help her pickup german rather fast. I also wanna her to feel relaxed. For me now the most important is the teachers care. 

Welcome to Toytown, where the lectures on how you should run your life is plentiful, but actual help is not.

https://treehouse-kids.de/

That may be hard to get into, it's not private. It's a great bi-lingual kindergarten.

Kindergarten am Ackermannbogen - Adams-Lehmann-Str. 93, 80797 München

I was talking to someone (in English) a few weeks ago about this place and they were definitely looking for new kids. I don't think it's technically bi-lingual, but they seem to have some bi-lingual kids and parents. Seems friendly.

6 hours ago, antitheist said:

Welcome to Toytown, where the lectures on how you should run your life is plentiful, but actual help is not.

Besides being factually wrong, giving new perspectives (or as you call it "how you should run your family") can be helpful.

Your advice is a parent's initiative stuck on Montessori (100 year old approach), no better advice than the ones already given.

Unbelievable how Germany is still stuck on a Montessori-only approach. But Ok, most Anglo-Saxon countries are still doing the same.

@MikeMelga back in China we are told German preschool education is fabulous which they teach the kids practical experience rather then  reading n counting like we do. Visited one slightly expensive kindergarten house the other day, I was a bit surprised to learn that they don't actually have a real daily structure. I dont expect my kids to learn so much in kindergarten, but I hope they will have a systematic approach  which leads them to outdoor free play or circle time or self-discovery. Anyway I'll still try to keep my hope up :)

My wife's aunt has a PHD in children pre school education. She studied different systems used in Europe. According to her, Germany is lagging 30-40 years compared with Portugal and other countries, as Kindergartens and Kinderkrippes were not common until recently.

The most obvious thing is the obsession with Montessori approach, which is more than 100 years old and has been complemented with other approaches. More advanced approaches combine ideas from 3-4 older approaches, in which Montessori can be one of them. 

But pure Montessori is completely outdated, although in Germany, UK and America it is still wildly praised.

6+ year education is another thing. I think from 6-18 years old the educational system is very good. Pre school is the problem.

On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2016‎ ‎08‎:‎04‎:‎15, heidiyq said:

Hi Mike thanks for the reply. I guess we just got unlucky with the first private kindergarten. I agree putting her into a German one can help her pickup german rather fast. I also wanna her to feel relaxed. For me now the most important is the teachers care. 

Based on what you've posted, I'd suggest finding another private German-language kindergarten. My kids attend(ed) a bilingual kindergarten and we see that there really is no such thing here in Munich as a truly bilingual kindergarten, i.e., German will dominate (because most or all of the kids will speak it with each other) rather than the other language if half of the instruction time is in German. Since you're speaking languages other than German at home, there's really no need in your case for a bilingual kindergarten. I suggest a private German one because the personnel generally are paid more and the activities are usually a bit better. One other thing- your child will get invited to some birthday parties- be sure to accept these invitations.

I'm afraid I haven't read through all the replies as I'm rather tired but I can thoroughly recommend Kuschel & Carlos near Bonnerplatz in Schwabing! International private krippe and kindergarten with absolutely lovely staff!!

I don't know if they have free places but if you have the chance to get in there I would snap it up if I were you!

@Conquistador Thanks for the input. Indeed I'm still hoping she will pick up German soon. Already enrolled her in a local kids ballet class, been there three times, though it's taught in German, she really loves it. Quite a good and positive start! Will keep contacting kindergartens :) cheers.

infanterix in schwabing is/was the only chinese & german bilingual kita I saw in munich. It also has French-German groups; I heard some (unconfirmed) rumors though that demand was declining for chinese (esp. among parents with chinese background) so they might be switching it to English-German, which I think would be a pity. They had mixed the krippe and kindergarten kids for the chinese group, the room looked big & clean, the instructors seemed very attentive & caring and the kids looked really happy. 

Unfortunately, as we were interested in  French-German facilities, which were IMHO then quite a contrast with the chinese-German group, we did not opt for this specific kita. (however, there are several other infanterix around munich. They are very communicative and professional, the families all very international). A lot depends on the particular "Betreuer" too. And then the bureaucracy of the kita administration (eg HORRIBLE experiences with Elly& Stoffl schwabing's admin though the Betreuer were terrific...even though you pay tons, they're not customer oriented at all)

On 2/29/2016, 9:33:13, heidiyq said:

@Conquistador Thanks for the input. Indeed I'm still hoping she will pick up German soon. Already enrolled her in a local kids ballet class, been there three times, though it's taught in German, she really loves it. Quite a good and positive start! Will keep contacting kindergartens :) cheers.

Hello Heidi

I am looking for a kids ballet class in the Schwabing area, can I ask the one which one you found? Also I am also looking for a Kindy spot for my daughter, if you don"t mind can you perhaps PM the details of the one not to enrol her in!

Cheers

Erika

@ErikaLD A private ballet teacher provides ballet lessons (every Friday) at Kuschel & Carlos (Karl-Theodor-Str 29). Your child does not have to be enrolled at Kuschel & Carlos to take part in the ballet lessons. I would also thoroughly recommend Kuschel &  Carlos if you are still looking for a kindergarten spot. 

thank you thats great :) I have a meeting with K&C on Monday to try and get a spot there. Fingers crossed! I didn't know they also did the ballet lessons. I shall ask them about it whilst I am there. 

On 3/12/2017, 6:27:11, born_free said:

@ErikaLD A private ballet teacher provides ballet lessons (every Friday) at Kuschel & Carlos (Karl-Theodor-Str 29). Your child does not have to be enrolled at Kuschel & Carlos to take part in the ballet lessons. I would also thoroughly recommend Kuschel &  Carlos if you are still looking for a kindergarten spot. 

Hi Heidiyq, do you mind sharing over PM the name of that private kindergarten in scwabing that you are unhappy about? I have been trying to apply everywhere since last year to private bilingual and German kindergartens (scwabing and bogenhausen area) only to be told there isn't any space. Witchel academie offered a space in their parkstadt location but only for full time which is a lot of money and I don't need my child to be spending over 8 hours in a kindergarten as I am not yet working but will only be going to a language school when he gets a space in kindy. Thank you