Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help with Bus system

6 posts in this topic

Hello all! I recently relocated to Germany from the US. All my paperwork is complete and I start work on Tuesday. I got a great apartment in Hemhofen and I am commuting to Erlangen. I did all this myself, and the bureaucracy, although painful was straight forward. I went to school in Dasing for 2 years when I was much younger, so my german is coming back quickly, but I am definitely not where i need to be. 

So, my niece is letting me use her car for a couple of weeks, so I can more easily get all the needed supplies for the new apartment. Once I give her the car back, I will need to take the bus from the front of my house to Erlangen arcaden and then change busses to get to my job. This thing is, I don't understand about the passes for the bus. Its with VGN.de and the bus pass situation is just confusing the heck out of me!

Also, I would like to get a car soon, I budgeted 5000, but I will need to finance that. Has anyone been through the auto financing here? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

You think the complexities of auto financing is going to be easier than understanding a bus system? You also have to get a drivers license, insurance, park place, etc. Learn the bus system and then in your time waiting for busses organize the car thing without trying to do it in a hurry.

Welcome, by the way. Someone here will help you out. Your bank or the dealer will organize financing maybe. Shop around for rates.

The monthly tickets are:

9 Uhr Mobicard - transferrable for 2 people, valid from 9 am. The best option but only if you can go to work after 9 am each morning.

31-Tage-Mobicard - transferrable for 2 people

Solo 31 - transferrable for 1 person.

Then come various "Abos" which are non-transferrable and valid only for you (you should go to the office with a photo).

Okay. So go into the office with a photo and I will get an "Abos"? Drivers license is done. Already have a parkplatz. My kids have a bus card already from their school. I guess I will give the office a try. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, jacksonR said:

So go into the office with a photo and I will get an "Abos"?

Yes. They will also help with any other questions you have about the ticket system.

Re. finance: I'm not sure a fresh arrival can even get it approved in the first place. If you don't have a credit history in Germany you have low chance of getting any kind of credit. But even if it's approved I'd rather not recommend unless this is a dream car which you wanted to buy since the childhood. Buy a cheaper used car for cash, wait a couple of years, sell and buy a better car.