Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How do I cancel yearly BVG travel card?

8 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I signed up for a monthly/yearly travel card with the BVG. It costs me 60 euros a month and I want to cancel it now (I no longer need it) I can not find out how to do this online so i wonder if anyone can help.

I believe that i must write to them and then it takes 6 weeks? is this right?

Thank you for this. Very helpful

If i give the card back, how can i still travel for the six weeks. Seems a little odd.

I think the six week thing is to do with when you do not want to renew your subscription for another year.  You let them know (at least) 6 weeks before it would run out.

If you want to cancel early, you have to do it before the end of one month, and you get a refund for the unused months.  There is a link on TT about this but in German on the last page of this document too:  10.2 Außerordentliche Kündigung durch den Kunden page 4 of

https://www.bvg.de/images/downloads/12674_Abo_Bestellschein_Herz_beschreibbares_PDF_V3.pdf  

Hi all. I'm late, but I had the same question today and I did my research. It's a truly German process: you must dig out your Abo number and write them a letter or an email, then mail your card back. Unfortunately, I'm two weeks late so I'll have the card for an extra year.

Nonetheless, here's the link if you don't want to RENEW a BVG card: http://allaboutberlin.com/guides/cancel-bvg-yearly-ticket

15 hours ago, ilyann said:

You can also sell the card you don’t want to others. 

Yep, that's correct, as long as it's a card without your name on it.

By the way, I got the cancellation confirmation letter yesterday. It worked even though I sent an email only 3 weeks before the end of my Abo.

On 6/8/2018, 11:43:00, Nicolas Bouliane said:

Yep, that's correct, as long as it's a card without your name on it.

By the way, I got the cancellation confirmation letter yesterday. It worked even though I sent an email only 3 weeks before the end of my Abo.

Just to add to the above comment, I have 4 weeks left on my yearly Abo ticket, and went there yesterday. I only had to pay €2.50 to cancel it's renewal plus the remaining month even though I had not given the 6 weeks required notice. The woman was obviously good enough to let me off. Otherwise I would have had the option to cancel the new subscription and pay €20 extra on top for each month that I had used into the new subscription, i.e. the amount I had saved per month by taking out the Abo as a yearly ticket. Luckily I didn't have to do that. I actually thought I was stuck for paying for another year but if you have an Außerordentlich (unusual reason?) then you can cancel it upon payment of the extra charges as outlined above. That is still better than having to pay €63 odd per month for 10 months (since you get 2 months for free when you buy a yearly ticket). = Very very happy. Of course if I find my bank account shows that more than €2,50 got deducted, I will let you know.