My experience with 1und1 (1&1)

53 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 
I would like to share to you all my experience with 1und1 DSL internet.
It all started with me signing a contract thru internet chat service that they have. It all went well 
considering the other person knew English and explained to me a few things. 
Now comes the problem part. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks for the installation crew to come and 
install the DSL cable. That didn't happen! They scheduled a date for 8th of march (that was exactly 4 moths after the contract was made).
Since this is not normal even for German standards i decided to ask customer service why exactly must i pay 4 months of internet when i wont have it...
From this point i was put into a 2 week limbo trying to get a hold on a English speaking employee. When i managed to connect to such a employee he started 
to tell me how either the technicians couldn't make it sooner because of work or there is some other problem. (From her tone it was obvious there was something else).
They offered me 2 months of not paying for compensation even thou it was 4 moths to the date. I was ready to wait for all this time as long as i got the service but today i got a 
phone call from a another employee saying that they cant make it on the 8th but instead they could make it at the end of March. I asked that same employee is it possible to cancel my 
contract since they basically failed to deliver the service for so long. After the usual scripted response to such a demand he finally told me it is possible and that i will receive a letter containing instructions on how this all will happen.
TL;DR - I signed for internet and didnt got it for more then 4 months because of different reasons every time.

Can anyone here suggest another internet provider company that has good English customer service? I am currently considering Kabel Deutchland since my whole building has already connection to it. 

p.s. Sorry if i have made a mistake making this post here. It is my first time writing in this forum. I actually have no other place to ask for such help. 

I can echo my parallel experience with M-NET here in Munich. Same type of service. Moved into a new apartment and even before we signed the final lease for the rent we ordered the DSL service from M-NET at shop here in Munich. It took them 6 Weeks to get the DSL activated, meaning they send me the hardware after 6 weeks, and a guy comes over and plugs it into the telephone socket.That's it. 6 weeks of waiting. And the technician looked at me and said, oh but Ive been here before, this apartment already had M-NET , they just needed to change the name of the subscriber. 6 long Weeks of no internet. I called them up many times during the 6 weeks to ask why it was taking so long to get a DSL line activated in 2016!?! But they pretty much just ignored any request and said that's how long it takes so accept it and live with it.  And the cherry on the cake, 3 days later it stopped working because of a problem on their servers and we had to wait another week for anybody to even look at trying to resolve the problem. I have had a DSL line in one form or another since 1999, even from long forgotten companies like Tiscali and Alice-DSL, and it has never taken so long to get a DSL line activated.

Good thing we took the option of being able to cancel the contract monthly.

I heard Cablesurf can now activate a cable-internet connection within 24 hours.

Thanks for sharing maddul.
Before i signed the contract i have heard that it takes longer for the technician to come and considering i signed before the Christmas holidays i had no problem waiting even to the end of January.But still making me wait 4 months and lying that they will compensate a few months of that time is not acceptable. Thanks for the Cablesurf suggestion i will look them up but i  really think il choose Kabel Deutchland since my whole building is serviced by them so i guess they should be able to connect me right away. Maybe it was for the best that i didnt stayed in contract with 1und1. 

Just signed a contract with Kabel Deutschland. After signing the contract, I had the router within 3 days and connected the thing myself.  However, the apartment where I live was already set up for Kabel Deutschland because that's what the whole building uses, so perhaps that's why it was so easy.  I especially love their EU-Flatrate package which allows me to call any number within the EU and also the US unlimitedly for only 3,99 EUR a month.  I also think some other countries in Eastern Europe are included.

Thanks for the info Santitas. I am almost certain that my building is on KD also i even think the previous guy whole lived here was using KD as well that is why i am considering the the most. Can you please provide me with some more info for example do you get slower speeds during peak hours do KD provide English customer service, do you have ping spikes problems. I might seem a little annoying .. Sorry about that but it seems choosing a Internet provider in Germany is a really big commitment.

I mostly am online in the evenings after work just to watch something on Netflix or check e-mail and haven't noticed any slower speeds, but I guess it depends on what you're doing. I have no idea what ping spikes are, so I can't answer that one.

I'm also not sure about the English speaking customer service because I've only communicated with them in German.  Perhaps you could call them up and ask?

I can organise a Telekom connection for you in English... typicaly 14 days connection time... 

Or if you want KD do a google search for "Ask Allex Internet"....   They will sort you in English!

AFAIK 1und1 do not actually do or own the connections themselves.

They rent all the lines etc from DT and when work with cables etc or at junctions or whatever they're called need to be done then this is done by DT who obviously do not make non customers a priority because they don't give a fuck about them.You will also wait for a long time if you ever have a problem with your DSL if it involves an engineer coming round.

Most non DT providers suffer from this unless you get lucky.

I changed from O2 to 1und1 and I got the Fritz box the next day connected it up and within a few hours the 1und1 connection was there.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

AFAIK 1und1 do not actually do or own the connections themselves.

They rent all the lines etc from DT and when work with cables etc or at junctions or whatever they're called need to be done then this is done by DT who obviously do not make non customers a priority because they don't give a fuck about them.You will also wait for a long time if you ever have a problem with your DSL if it involves an engineer coming round.

Most non DT providers suffer from this unless you get lucky.

I changed from O2 to 1und1 and I got the Fritz box the next day connected it up and within a few hours the 1und1 connection was there.

Yes they did explain that since the lines are not theyrs it takes longer then usual. But 4 months is just ridiculous and you have to pay for these months even if you dont have connection. Also considering the fact that the employee who made my contract promised me i will have internet in 3-4 weeks. Whatever its in the past now , i am waiting for the letter with instructions from them on how to cancel my contract after that is done im picking up a new provider.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I can organise a Telekom connection for you in English... typicaly 14 days connection time... 

Or if you want KD do a google search for "Ask Allex Internet"...   They will sort you in English!

Thanks for the offer SpiderPig. I did consider Telekom but still il most likely pick KD. Seems like KD and the company that rented me this apartment have some kind of deal. I checked my Apartment contract and in it there was a big brochure for KD services also the main entrance of the building there is a advertisement board and only KD has ever been on it. Im guessing if i become they're client they will treat me better since the building (and area around it) seems to be monopolized by them.

Keep guessing sunshine!!

KD/TKom/Vodafone/1+1 dont give a shiney shite!!!   

If you find a friendly rep... they will stay fiendly until you cancell or there is a prolem...

Good luck

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Keep guessing sunshine!!

KD/TKom/Vodafone/1+1 dont give a shiney shite!!!   

If you find a friendly rep... they will stay fiendly until you cancell or there is a prolem...

Good luck

Seems like no matter which company il pick it will be the same. The mentality "If they are doing it like this so are we" seems to be strong in these companies. My only ray of hope is KD to give a shit since im in "they're territory".  Whatever it may be i just need a stable connection. Im sick of paying 60-70eu+ per month for 3g (and i am limiting myself hard here).

36 minutes ago, Berv said:

Yes they did explain that since the lines are not theyrs it takes longer then usual. But 4 months is just ridiculous and you have to pay for these months even if you dont have connection.

You most definitely don't have to pay for the time before the connection is working, not even in Germany. Something went very wrong and you must continue fighting against it.

Hotlines suck, public channels via e.g. their forum are much better, btw.

Unfortunately some orders get kinda stuck. E.g. 1&1 orders a line from Telekom, but Telekom says there are no lines available at present. Then 1&1 waits a few weeks and tries again, rinse and repeat. In these cases going to a different infrastructure (like KD as suggested here) is indeed quicker. Sometimes it's "just" some error in the Telekom IT system. Very difficult to fix because the workers at 1&1 and Telekom suck. Directly ordering from Telekom and using their Internet channels ("Telekom hilft") works better but if there's no free line they won't magically create one. Sometimes it helps to order a normal ISDN phone connection from Telekom (without minimum term) and then switch to 1&1 using that existing connection. Telekom puts more work into installing normal phone connection as they are guaranteed by law, unlike DSL.

1&1 isn't horrible, I had them for the first two years in Germany, and their Quick Start package with a Vodafone LTE modem was good to get me going, albeit with a limit of 500 MB/day.  1&1 was able to have the Telekom guy bring up the circuit about a week after the previous tenant moved out.

I switched to Easybell last year, they're utterly no-frills, but no contract, and I haven't had to call them for support.  I sent a message on Twitter about IPv6 support in English, and they wrote back in a couple hours.

3 hours ago, sneaker said:

Unfortunately some orders get kinda stuck. E.g. 1&1 orders a line from Telekom, but Telekom says there are no lines available at present. Then 1&1 waits a few weeks and tries again, rinse and repeat. In these cases going to a different infrastructure (like KD as suggested here) is indeed quicker. Sometimes it's "just" some error in the Telekom IT system. Very difficult to fix because the workers at 1&1 and Telekom suck.

Yes i understand that if there isn't a free line they cant make one just like that. But aren't they supposed to say before making the contract that they need to rent a line. I found out 1 month after the contract was made that i wasn't going to use 1&1 line. 

1 hour ago, radioactive76 said:

1&1 isn't horrible, I had them for the first two years in Germany, and their Quick Start package with a Vodafone LTE modem was good to get me going, albeit with a limit of 500 MB/day.  1&1 was able to have the Telekom guy bring up the circuit about a week after the previous tenant moved out.

I switched to Easybell last year, they're utterly no-frills, but no contract, and I haven't had to call them for support.  I sent a message on Twitter about IPv6 support in English, and they wrote back in a couple hours.

I also had the Quick start package and maybe that was they'r excuse to charge me for those 4 months of waiting. But that quick start service is FREE and the charge was for DSL so i think they are wrong to charge. Also i didn't had 500mb/day limit but i had 10gb per month. That maybe normal for a mobile user but at home if you stream or you want to download something big these 10 gbs are absurd. 
As for this Easybell company i haven't heard about them maybe they don't have cover over Augsburg. Will look em up but i dont think there is a DSL provider who offers services unless a 2 year contract is made.

I was actually following the same reasoning as you when I chose M-Net. The whole apartment-block seemed completely set-up for M-Net, with stickers all over saying that this house is served by M-Net Glasfasernetz etc bla-bla-bla. So I thought "great, it should be  quite easy to get a simple DSL connection from them, right?" Very very wrong! In the end I still had many many problems, and am still having problems.

Be careful with KabelDeutschland. Fine print is  "Mindestvertragslaufzeit 24 Monate", with 12 month renewals.

Forums are not too happy with their service (as they are basically Vodafone now) and in end if you have problems with them it will be quite difficult to get out of the contract.

I recently moved flat, and after researching all horror stories about the outdated TLC industry in this country...I gave a try with EasyBell, which apparently has the best customer service in Germany. So far it's true...they replied in max 30 minutes to my various requests by e-mails, send me the modem in a few days, and arranged the appointment with the technician 2 weeks from the order date (which is still a lot of time...but better than 6 weeks!).

Now it all depends on Deutsche Telekom.

I could have Kabel Deutschland, 50 Mbps for 20 EUR/month...but with a 2 years contract, and if possible I'd prefer to avoid long contracts.

My previous flat had CableSurf, and I would recommend it to anybody who can choose it...

6 hours ago, maddul said:

Be careful with KabelDeutschland. Fine print is  "Mindestvertragslaufzeit 24 Monate", with 12 month renewals.

Forums are not too happy with their service (as they are basically Vodafone now) and in end if you have problems with them it will be quite difficult to get out of the contract.

So far to my knowledge all the "main" Internet providers only offer 24 months contracts. Little firms like m-net are RARE and mostly seen in bigger cities only. I will definitely check out m-net before my final decision since they have a no contract (but pay 100euro upfront) deals which in Germany i think is priceless. My only fear is since they are a small company the customer support wont be that good and i should probably forget about English speakers as well. 

O2 and Congstar also offer contracts that can be canceled monthly and are available anywhere Telekom DSL is available. EasyBell offers monthly canceling as well throughout Germany (but not as big of a network as Telekom).

But: all of them need to rent Telekom lines in the end. (few rare exceptions)

I am not sure if it is available in Augsburg, but as I mentioned above CableSurf is an Internet over Cable provider like Kabel Deutschland. (Meaining they can operate and activate High Speed Cable lines independently from Deutsche Telekom)

However they only have a minimum period of subscription which is 3 months and after that you can cancel monthly.

But, like the terrible M-NET, they are a relatively small company, with a service hotline that only operates from Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. (Seriously???)

So chances are that you will not be getting a service, in case of problems, comparable to other "big" companies, and most probably the only other option other than a German speaking helpline would be a Bavarian one. ;)

Update: 1&1 canceled my contract and responded to my by email saying they shouldn't have anything to do with me anymore so hopefully my bank record wont have any payments that shouldn't be there anymore. 

A little side note for those if anyone at all is interested. I picked KD Glassfaser 200. I made a call for contract on 3rd of this month. Router came by Monday and Today i have internet with speedtest results 10 out of 10 as said in our made contract. In a week ... i still cant believe 1&1 made me run around circles for all this time (while paying for it).