Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Attacked by a dog, what is my legal situation?

37 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just to be clear, did the dog actually attack your daughter, ren? Aggressive? Trying to bite her etc? Or just being playful? I an glad your daughter is fine.

I completely agree with Alex on this. Do check if the owner has dog owner liability insurance. If they do, they are a responsible owner ( hopefully).. if they don‘t, that may suggest they have a casual attitude at best to being in charge of a dog. 

Bump up.. ren, what happened exactly? What DID the dog do?

37 minutes ago, john g. said:

Bump up.. ren, what happened exactly? What DID the dog do?

I was away, according to my wife the dog kept on chasing my daughter around the garden.

She kept on shouting "ich habe angst", but the dog kept on chasing. It was probably playing, but still intimidating for a 5 year old.

Eventually the owner lifted up my daughter.

The owner lifted up your daughter. Ok, that is reassuring in a way that the owner recognised your daughter was afraid. And did something about it. 

I don`t want to make an issue about it. I just want the dog leashed when there are kids in the garden.

@AlexTr, thanks for your post.

Can you talk to the owner, ren? Try and find a conciliatory answer? Leash, yes, and maybe your daughter and other  kids can become friends with the dog at their pace. Step by step. But always with an adult around. As long as a dog isn‘t traumatised ( eg abused by an owner ), it wants to be loved and will show it but it needs help. Just like children.

13 hours ago, john g. said:

Can you talk to the owner, ren? Try and find a conciliatory answer? Leash, yes, and maybe your daughter and other  kids can become friends with the dog at their pace. Step by step. But always with an adult around. As long as a dog isn‘t traumatised ( eg abused by an owner ), it wants to be loved and will show it but it needs help. Just like children.

Will probably talk to the owner, but I need to know where I stand legally first. The article from bramble did help.

The Coronavirus (lockdown) has completely destroyed his business so the dog was (in my opinion) a way to help him.

I don`t want to make the guy anymore depressed,

41 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Will probably talk to the owner, but I need to know where I stand legally first. The article from bramble did help.

The Coronavirus (lockdown) has completely destroyed his business so the dog was (in my opinion) a way to help him.

Legally you can report him for not following the leash law and he might get a warning, I think that's pretty much it. 

I think it would be better to ask him nicely if he would be willing to keep his dog on a leash if he's walking in that area, at least during the hours you might expect small children to be out and about.  Many dog owners also don't understand that people or kids can be afraid of dogs.  They might say things like oh, he doesn't bite but that doesn't really help the child who is terrified of this dog at that moment.  I think you have to get that point across.

Definitely tell the child that the dog wanted to be friends but is very rough and she should say NEIN (name of dog) and SITZ/PLATZ!!! Introduce them under careful supervision so that the dog learns to do what she says.

I was taught to stop, face the dog, point firmly to an unseen location somewhere behind him, and command, "go home!"  

I have no clue why, but it always worked.  Too many times to be simple luck.

One time I did actually have to jump up on a car, but managed to convince the dog to "go home" long enough for it to calm down and eye me suspiciously before pottering off across the street and letting me finish pissing my pants and tiptoe home.  (I was probably around 11-12 years old)

1 hour ago, black1 said:

Definitely tell the child that the dog wanted to be friends but is very rough and she should say NEIN (name of dog) and SITZ/PLATZ!!! Introduce them under careful supervision so that the dog learns to do what she says.

It is not the child's job to train the dog that should be on a leash anyway. My guess is that the dog doesn't know those commands even coming from the owner.

I do like RF's idea of talking to the owner and not causing a stink. If it happens again, then go to the police.

7 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The Corona virus / his business should not come into the equation:  your priority is the well-being of your daughter using the communal garden. Come on now,  it's not the most onerous task to put a leash on your dog. Plain laziness from the owner. 

Hey, everybody lay off @RenegadeFurther. It's no secret that he and I don't get along well in many cases, but he's doing the right thing here. If he does what he says he wants to do, he's made a good, rational decision and he is being a good dad and husband by not creating a situation in his immediate community that will negatively impact his family.

Let's let him come back and tell us what's up.

Thanks @AlexTr.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

The Corona virus / his business should not come into the equation:  your priority is the well-being of your daughter using the communal garden. Come on now,  it's not the most onerous task to put a leash on your dog. Plain laziness from the owner. 

I do agree with this but unfortunately I bought the flat and so did he, so it would be a pain to move ( i do need to be nice). The guy also bought his flat and he is definitely not going anywhere.

If i was renting it would not be such a big issue as I would look elsewhere, speak my mind and just leave.

Since yesterday the dog has not been out. 

I do have to handle this with care.

He is not the sort of guy you can say don`t do this etc.

By the way I do think the dog was only playing (still intimidating for a 5 year old) which is why I am taking my time to think about it,

I agree with Alex ( what’s the world coming to?😜) that Renegade is doing the right thing-

wants to protect his daughter and, and at the same time, understands the dog owner is going through a hard time - so wants to find a conciliatory tone in everybody’s interests.

It is not always easy having neighbours - not even “ nice ones.”

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Thanks @AlexTr.

I do agree with but unfortunately I bought the flat and so did he, so it would be a pain to move. The guy also bought his flat and he is definitely not going anywhere.

If i was renting it would not be such a big issue as I would look elsewhere, speak my mind and just leave.

By the way I do think the dog was only playing (still intimidating for a 5 year old) which is why I am taking my time to think about it,

Maybe an option is to write a polite letter explaining the situation and say you are welcome for a chat? I think if you are polite and reasonable, he should be accommodating.

41 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Thanks @AlexTr.

I do agree with this but unfortunately I bought the flat and so did he, so it would be a pain to move ( i do need to be nice). The guy also bought his flat and he is definitely not going anywhere.

Is he the sort of bloke you can say to - “ by the way, my name’s Renegade and if you wanna have a chat over a coffee or whatever, happy to do so”. ?

So i spoke to the guy. Dog was a big mistake and he wants it gone. Cant find someone to take it though.

Dog has not been back in the garden.